sammy sun

Royal Caribbean to allow you to spend on board credit before you board

I've just read an article about Royal Caribbean and how they have made the decision to allow passengers to use any on board credit they might have before they actually board. It means passengers can now purchase excursions or book speciality restaurants online before they board and not have to be out of pocket.

I think it's a great idea. It means you don't have to spend a fortune on excursions before you board because you're worried about missing out on them. 

I think I'd be likely to use this service if I had on board credit with them, how about others?

There's a few changes being made lately. NCL going all-inclusive and now RCI making this amendment too. 

4 hours ago, sammy sun said:

I've just read an article about Royal Caribbean and how they have made the decision to allow passengers to use any on board credit they might have before they actually board. It means passengers can now purchase excursions or book speciality restaurants online before they board and not have to be out of pocket.

I think it's a great idea. It means you don't have to spend a fortune on excursions before you board because you're worried about missing out on them. 

I think I'd be likely to use this service if I had on board credit with them, how about others?

There's a few changes being made lately. NCL going all-inclusive and now RCI making this amendment too. 

Hi sammy sun,

Did the article indicate that this very useful change only applied to Royal Caribbean's ships or will the whole group (including Celebrity and Azamara) also roll this out?

DavidH

Hi David, I'm afraid it appeared to be just limited to Royal Caribbean. Whether or not they will roll it out across all brands I don't know but I certainly hope they do as I'd find it a valuable option for pre-booking any excursions I might find interesting with Celebrity along with speciality dining.

Not sure how the loyalty works with RC, but with P & O any purchases taken from your onboard credit do not receive the loyalty discount until the credit is used, then the discount starts being taken from your onboard spend.  I have found that if I purchase tours prior to the holiday I get the loyalty discount at time of booking and paying, so it saves me money to prebook. The onboard credit can cover the tips etc.

I do the same as you Countrygirl. Anyway I thought that unless you booked the select price you didnt get any OBC. Do other lines do it differently to P & O?

6 hours ago, 2torts said:

I do the same as you Countrygirl. Anyway I thought that unless you booked the select price you didnt get any OBC. Do other lines do it differently to P & O?

If people have 100 shares with RCI, like carnival Corp. they get OBC for all cruises and very generous it is too. For those who book via agents in the USA it is quite common to get OBC as part of the deal together with other 'freebees' not that I am suggesting you book in the USA. Also if you are a member of the RCI loyalty club 'Crown and Anchor' you can book direct with RCI and get their special members offers, again, some of which include OBC as well as automatic cabin upgrades. 

On 13/04/2017 at 3:33 PM, sammy sun said:

Hi David,

I apologise as my previous reply to you was incorrect. I've read further into it and Celebrity are doing the same. Apparently it started from this month so that is good news.

Thanks, sammy sun.  Yes, it is good news.

My personal interest is in relation to Azamara as we have a couple of cruises with them in the pipeline, the first of which definitely includes some OBC.  I think I'll ring Bolsover and see what they can tell me.

DavidH

On 4/14/2017 at 7:02 AM, 2torts said:

Yes they do the perks on Celebrity are good but you do not get any loyalty discounts on purchases ,you may get some offers regarding cruises....Davybe 

This information relates to Regent, so it is slightly off-topic.  Furthermore, most excursions on Regent are free of charge (not really free, because the cost is Included in your cruise fare).  However, Regent offer a few chargeable excursions, which sell out quickly.  Consequently, it is sensible to pre-book and pay by credit card.

However, it is still possible to use any OBC, if you pre-pay by credit card.

When you board the ship, you should visit the shore excursions desk.  Cancel the pre-booked excursion and re-purchase tickets for the same excursion.  The ship will refund the on-board price of the tickets to your cabin account (in US dollars) and will charge the same amount against your OBC (also in US dollars).  This will not affect the balance of your account at this stage.  However, the transaction will convert your non-refundable OBC into a refundable credit.  Then, you can request a refund in cash (US dollars) at the end of the cruise, if your account is still in credit.

This may be new for RC but years ago we used to book our excursions before we sailed with P&O and they were just added to our account on board. They have since stopped this method and you now pay up front which is a shame, we are booked to go to the Greek isles with them next month but as we have £700 obs we won't be booking our excursions until we get on board. 

On 4/23/2017 at 11:06 AM, Moswinner said:

This may be new for RC but years ago we used to book our excursions before we sailed with P&O and they were just added to our account on board. They have since stopped this method and you now pay up front which is a shame, we are booked to go to the Greek isles with them next month but as we have £700 obs we won't be booking our excursions until we get on board. 

I think a lot of people liked this Moswinner but I believe P&O removed it because they preferred the money in their account from the off rather than waiting till the end of each cruise to collect from on board accounts. By allowing the use of on board credit against excursions prior to boarding, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have found a way around this problem to bring back a previous feature that passengers liked. It's also another incentive for potential passengers to consider booking earlier for a larger on board credit amount, and to sway them away from rivals like P&O who do not offer this.