RiverSong

“Shorts” Story long tail

Royal Caribbean had added “Shorts” to its list of approved attire for the main dinning venues on casual nights, but it’s now been noted they’ve switched back dropping this item from its list of dress codes.  The problem they are facing is equal arguments on both sides with loyal passengers for and against, it’s a no-win situation for the cruise line.  

Much to my other half’s dismay I prefer men in long trousers of an evening, his argument being kilts are aloud and women can wear them, so even we can’t even agree but he always thinks he’s being “Short” changed .  Good luck Royal Caribbean I think you need to make a decision and stick to it.

2 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Aren't shorts underwear in the USA :o

No, undershorts are underwear.  But a vest is a waist coat and an undershirt is a vest!  This may vary in different parts of the country though.

Edited by smtcan

2 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi   In my experience very few cruise lines actually enforce the dress code in the dining venues so it really doesn't matter what the terms and conditions say!

Absolutely correct Land Ahoy and thats because they are unable to enforce it. If a person insists they enter a restaurant the staff are not going to physically restrain them from doing so. What a good job people don't dress according to the quality of food on some lines. :D:D

I've never liked the idea of shorts being worn in the main dining room. I think it's come to far now to make changes such as that when it's been a staple part of cruising for so long. We're at a turning point with dress codes where they're starting to work their way towards being much more casual. I can appreciate that some people where formal attire day in day out and don't want that when on holiday but if that's the case then there are ample cruise lines out there that cater for that and multiple venues on board cruise ships too. I love modern day cruising but maybe I'm a traditionalist when it comes to dress codes in the dining rooms.

That said, I agree with several of the comments above that it's proving harder and harder to enforce dress codes. It was once the case that nobody would even question it if they were told they did not meet the code but nowadays it's almost like it's inconceivable to pull someone up on it for the fear of a bad reaction thus leading to bad press etc. It's so competitive these days, cruise lines seem terrified of upsetting passengers in anyway.

2 hours ago, loz6 said:

I personally dont like the idea of shorts being worn in the main dining room just my opinion

For me I wouldn't mind the nice smart casual chino type shorts being worn in the dining room, however the brightly coloured swimming shorts etc is a no, no.

HLM.

42 minutes ago, HLM said:

For me I wouldn't mind the nice smart casual chino type shorts being worn in the dining room, however the brightly coloured swimming shorts etc is a no, no.

HLM.

Yes to be honest when we say shorts I straight away think of colourful swim shorts but i have to agree tailored or smart chinos would be ok.

I still don't know. Even when thinking about tailored or smarter shorts, I still think they're not suited to the main dining rooms on board. I think their suited to al fresco dining when you're in a warm climate in a casual environment but not in the dining room on a cruise. It's not hot, it's evening and it's in an air-conditioned room, I'd struggle to understand the argument of it being necessary to add shorts to the "ok" list. It's more just a comfort thing and I just don't agree with that.

1 hour ago, sammy sun said:

I still don't know. Even when thinking about tailored or smarter shorts, I still think they're not suited to the main dining rooms on board. I think their suited to al fresco dining when you're in a warm climate in a casual environment but not in the dining room on a cruise. It's not hot, it's evening and it's in an air-conditioned room, I'd struggle to understand the argument of it being necessary to add shorts to the "ok" list. It's more just a comfort thing and I just don't agree with that.

I totally understand what you're saying Sammy sun, but if shorts are to be accepted I'd rather they be tailored and not swimmers.

I suppose we have to accept that things are changing.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

I totally understand what you're saying Sammy sun, but if shorts are to be accepted I'd rather they be tailored and not swimmers.

HLM.

I'm not sure we do have to accept these sort of changes. This is where we need a selection of cruise ship brands some of which allow things like shorts, perhaps RCI, whilst others do not which would result in pax being able to choose the cruise line and aspects of sailing that they like. Many people would still like to see semi formal nights reintroduced yet alone allowing "shorts" in the evening.

I think I am safe in saying that in all probability it would only be P&O regulars that would welcome the reintroduction of semi formal nights and not the new wave of cruisers who are the future. Cruise lines are changing with the times and providing what the majority of passengers want. We have to remember that the views of us all on this forum represents but a drop in the ocean of the total people that cruise.

11 hours ago, Captain Kidd II said:

I'm not sure we do have to accept these sort of changes. This is where we need a selection of cruise ship brands some of which allow things like shorts, perhaps RCI, whilst others do not which would result in pax being able to choose the cruise line and aspects of sailing that they like. Many people would still like to see semi formal nights reintroduced yet alone allowing "shorts" in the evening.

I appreciate some would like to see semi formal nights reintroduced, problem is they are in the minority.

Most people now are looking for informal cruising, hence the reason for a relaxation of the dress codes on most mainstream lines, Cunard and one or two others being the exception, that said I understand Cunard are even relaxing theirs?

It's a "sign of the times".

HLM.

16 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I think I am safe in saying that in all probability it would only be P&O regulars that would welcome the reintroduction of semi formal nights and not the new wave of cruisers who are the future. Cruise lines are changing with the times and providing what the majority of passengers want. We have to remember that the views of us all on this forum represents but a drop in the ocean of the total people that cruise.

Exactly OWT and for all my traditionalist preferences when it comes to allowing shorts in the dining room, there are thousands I'm sure who would disagree, hence the cruise lines need to cater for the majority. I'm sure Royal Caribbean did their research prior to making any decision and looked at the overall way the market is shifting. 

On 20/04/2017 at 5:10 PM, HLM said:

HLM.

No, we don't have to accept it.    Surely a totally casual look (ref restaurant dining) could be advertised as being acceptable on some named ships & let those who wish to wear shorts, wear them in the appropriate environment & let those of us who abide by the published dress code carry on doing just that.   We 'established cruisers ' tend to cruise more regularly &, I guess, for the  most part enjoy following the dress codes & don't take too kindly to 'newbies ' trying to re-write those codes.

23 minutes ago, sundancer said:

No, we don't have to accept it.    Surely a totally casual look (ref restaurant dining) could be advertised as being acceptable on some named ships & let those who wish to wear shorts, wear them in the appropriate environment & let those of us who abide by the published dress code carry on doing just that.   We 'established cruisers ' tend to cruise more regularly &, I guess, for the  most part enjoy following the dress codes & don't take too kindly to 'newbies ' trying to re-write those codes.

Well you either like it or lump it, if the cruise line decides to amend their dress codes because the "newbies" are demanding it then that's what they'll do, people can moan all they like but ultimately it's filling cabins that the cruise lines are interested in, not old fuddy duddies.

Being an "established cruiser" myself I accept and welcome progress, I will move with the times and will continue to enjoy my cruises, if you can't perhaps you need to find an alternative to cruising in the future.

HLM.

A little while back I was staying in a hotel and enjoying my breakfast when 3 young women in pyjamas and dressing gowns arrived in the restaurant and were refused permission to enter because of a dress code. If they can enforce it politely then why can't a cruise ship?

21 minutes ago, bac said:

A little while back I was staying in a hotel and enjoying my breakfast when 3 young women in pyjamas and dressing gowns arrived in the restaurant and were refused permission to enter because of a dress code. If they can enforce it politely then why can't a cruise ship?

What would have happened if the women had insisted on entry and pushed their way in. People on the door can always point out that their individuals dress is not acceptable, but in the end they rely on the persons concerned complying with their instructions. The problems start if they don't and the people on the door physically restrain them.

1 hour ago, bac said:

But that's taking things to the extreme, and they were rightly refused entry.

The point I am making is that if cruiselines decide to relax their dress codes and allow smart shorts, then by wearing them no one is in breach of the dress code, why some people say it'll put them off dining is beyond me.

HLM.