RiverSong

“Shorts” Story long tail

14 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

What would have happened if the women had insisted on entry and pushed their way in. People on the door can always point out that their individuals dress is not acceptable, but in the end they rely on the persons concerned complying with their instructions. The problems start if they don't and the people on the door physically restrain them.

Thin end of the wedge if people refuse to adhere to the dress code when challenged at the door by staff. What would happen if someone refused to abide by the rule that you have to let your belongings scanned when coming back onto the ship?  Or decided to wear no clothes in the swimming pools? 

To me smart shorts only look reasonably ok if worn with knee length socks certainly not flip flops. A lightweight pair of slacks is easy to pack, shouldn't need ironing  & can be worn every evening with a clean shirt.

Unless men have the figure of an adonis and film star good looks they tend to look stupid in dressed up shorts, and the most handsome of men would not be seen dead in shorts in an air conditioned dining room.

If you really must wear shorts in the evening then dine Al Fresco in the open air part of the buffet. 

1 hour ago, 2torts said:

Thin end of the wedge if people refuse to adhere to the dress code when challenged at the door by staff. What would happen if someone refused to abide by the rule that you have to let your belongings scanned when coming back onto the ship?  Or decided to wear no clothes in the swimming pools? 

Good points 2 torts however the first is a security issue and the belongings can be confiscated and the second can be a criminal offence.

I do however acknowledge that it's all about passengers respecting and abiding with the various rules  and codes of the ship. At times I feel we have reached the stage where certain passengers go on ships to deliberately see how far they can go to bend and test the rules.

When I started cruising nearly 30 years ago everyone abided by the dress code, no one had to be stopped, told, questioned or advised, it was expected and you did it. How times have changed.

I'm afraid I have to disagree and say that I think shorts can actually be very smart. Certainly not board shorts or cargo shorts, but a really well tailored, good-quality pair, yes. Worn with a shirt or even blazer, I think they can be just as smart as a pair of trousers or dark jeans. I think it also goes back to people's idea of luxury. There is a reason so many of the ultra-luxury cruise lines have such a relaxed dress code

17 hours ago, HLM said:

But that's taking things to the extreme, and they were rightly refused entry.

The point I am making is that if cruiselines decide to relax their dress codes and allow smart shorts, then by wearing them no one is in breach of the dress code, why some people say it'll put them off dining is beyond me.

HLM.

Who is going to define what is smart? There is a similar problem with "smart jeans". 

3 hours ago, towny44 said:

Unless men have the figure of an adonis and film star good looks they tend to look stupid in dressed up shorts, and the most handsome of men would not be seen dead in shorts in an air conditioned dining room.

If you really must wear shorts in the evening then dine Al Fresco in the open air part of the buffet. 

Believe you me I'm no Adonis but I do look smart in a nice pair of tailored shorts a nice linen shirt and deck shoes.

What I can't grasp is why as some suggest it would put them off dining if that's what I chose to wear?

HLM.

1 minute ago, B&M said:

Who is going to define what is smart? There is a similar problem with "smart jeans". 

Exactly, I've seen men in a tux that I would perceive best fit for the skip, but as it conforms to the dress code it's perceived to be ok.

Similarly I seen women like mutton dressed as lamb, but who are we to judge?

HLM.

11 hours ago, HLM said:

Exactly, I've seen men in a tux that I would perceive best fit for the skip, but as it conforms to the dress code it's perceived to be ok.

Similarly I seen women like mutton dressed as lamb, but who are we to judge?

HLM.

So we have been on he same cruises then, HLM 😂😂😂.

22 hours ago, HLM said:

Believe you me I'm no Adonis but I do look smart in a nice pair of tailored shorts a nice linen shirt and deck shoes.

What I can't grasp is why as some suggest it would put them off dining if that's what I chose to wear?

HLM.

Exactly so! I`ve seen men in food stained, old fashioned DJs that are a mess. I see no problem with tailored shorts / chinos and the like. No swimwear or nightweAr(God forbid) is fine) but as far as I am concerned if I can go out to eat in a top restaurant dressed in smart casual ...heel and even shots if I so choose why does a ship`s dining room decree I have to wear some outdated garb from a bygone age! I have a dj and wore if on my first cruise and one night on my 2nd but since then as a cheap, badly cut suit that i feel uncomfortable in it has been consigned to the back of the wardrobe and I have worn a more up to date suit  or smart casual jacket and tie and looked smarter. The more important thing for me is that I have enjoyed my evening more thus too - tough if what I choose to wear makes others uncomfortable because of their old school views on dress.

On 24/04/2017 at 10:57 AM, MikeLowry said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree and say that I think shorts can actually be very smart. Certainly not board shorts or cargo shorts, but a really well tailored, good-quality pair, yes. Worn with a shirt or even blazer, I think they can be just as smart as a pair of trousers or dark jeans. I think it also goes back to people's idea of luxury. There is a reason so many of the ultra-luxury cruise lines have such a relaxed dress code

I agree, some shorts can look very smart and it also depends what you wear it with. Define Shorts... is RCI talking about short shorts or mid length do they have to be a certain colour?

58 minutes ago, jinky said:

Exactly so! I`ve seen men in food stained, old fashioned DJs that are a mess. I see no problem with tailored shorts / chinos and the like. No swimwear or nightweAr(God forbid) is fine) but as far as I am concerned if I can go out to eat in a top restaurant dressed in smart casual ...heel and even shots if I so choose why does a ship`s dining room decree I have to wear some outdated garb from a bygone age! I have a dj and wore if on my first cruise and one night on my 2nd but since then as a cheap, badly cut suit that i feel uncomfortable in it has been consigned to the back of the wardrobe and I have worn a more up to date suit  or smart casual jacket and tie and looked smarter. The more important thing for me is that I have enjoyed my evening more thus too - tough if what I choose to wear makes others uncomfortable because of their old school views on dress.

It is a you say Jinky "old school" nowadays.

The worst I saw was an elderly gentleman in a sky blue velvet style tux, with the 70's bow tie and frilly shirt. :o and he thought he looked smart.

Black tie nights resemble funeral processions.

I for one am glad that cruise lines are relaxing dress codes and allowing a more colourful and casual approach, as long as it's not sky blue of course :D

HLM.

image.jpg

Edited by HLM
Added photo.

On 23/04/2017 at 3:49 PM, sundancer said:

No, we don't have to accept it.    Surely a totally casual look (ref restaurant dining) could be advertised as being acceptable on some named ships & let those who wish to wear shorts, wear them in the appropriate environment & let those of us who abide by the published dress code carry on doing just that.   We 'established cruisers ' tend to cruise more regularly &, I guess, for the  most part enjoy following the dress codes & don't take too kindly to 'newbies ' trying to re-write those codes.

As an 'established cruiser'  I would expect you to remember the days when officers wore white tailored shorts on cruise ships and wonder if you objected then. I can certainly remember them back in the 80's in their 'Whites' and with long socks they certainly looked smart in my humble opinion.

The other point is simply that if shorts were accepted by the cruise line then people wearing them, would like you, be adhering to the "published dress code".

Obviously everyone has different ideas to what is acceptable as suitable dress for dinner. Personally I think their is sometimes a lot of snobbery around acceptable dress codes on ships. As I have said many times, most ships restaurants are at best average and yet when people go to quality shore based restaurants they certainly don't usually wear dinner or business suits, at least not in London. Hence the reason that most of the top quality cruise lines have a 'Casual' dress code in the restaurants now.

26 minutes ago, HLM said:

It is a you say Jinky "old school" nowadays.

The worst I saw was an elderly gentleman in a sky blue velvet style tux, with the 70's bow tie and frilly shirt. :o and he thought he looked smart.

Black tie nights resemble funeral processions.

I for one am glad that cruise lines are relaxing dress codes and allowing a more colourful and casual approach, as long as it's not sky blue of course :D

HLM.

image.jpg

A picture is better than a thousand words. Excellent HLM, says it all.

17 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

A picture is better than a thousand words. Excellent HLM, says it all.

I did chuckle when I saw the picture it was exactly the same suit, they must of been popular in their day:D whenever that was??

HLM.

Like bac I too have been in a hotel where pj's were breakfast attire, however i think for this hotel it must have been the norm on a Sunday morning so they didnt seem phased by it. I also love the cross over between American & English and wonder what we the Brits may do if literature is sent out advising pants must be worn

Maybe a few people with capes might be seen onboard!!!!!!

I don't see anything wrong with nice tailored shorts on casual nights in hot destinations. My partner wore chino style shorts and a shirt on the final night of a Caribbean cruise, mainly due to the luggage being taken away and not wanting to lug around trousers all the next day in hand luggage. We didn't think anything of it at the time, didn't get any dirty looks or be refused entry.

Hi  I always follow the dress code suggested by the cruise line, I don't mind wearing formal dress but I accept others don't.  However, I can't fathom why those who prefer to wear casual attire book a voyage on a cruise line which have formal nights, there's plenty of choice.  Even some of the better cruise lines Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn no longer have formal nights, whereas, Silversea and Crystal still retain these.  

1 hour ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi  I always follow the dress code suggested by the cruise line, I don't mind wearing formal dress but I accept others don't.  However, I can't fathom why those who prefer to wear casual attire book a voyage on a cruise line which have formal nights, there's plenty of choice.  Even some of the better cruise lines Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn no longer have formal nights, whereas, Silversea and Crystal still retain these.  

Personally I love the formal nights, but my brother hates them. He wears a suit every day for work and refuses to dress up whilst on holiday. He has 4 children and always travel with P&O, they have tried Royal Caribbean and a few other lines but P&O suits them the best and everyone is on happy on there. Due to budget and having 4 children the luxury lines you have mentioned are not an option. On the formal nights they just go to the buffet, why should they not travel on the cruise line they prefer because 2 nights a week are formal? They don't try to go in the main dining room so why is anyone else bothered?

Question, if a male turned up to the main restaurant on a formal night wearing a Sulu Dress, open toe sandals, shirt and tie would the 'Formal Dress Police' huff and puff and consider this inappropriate. It's the national and formal attire of Fiji so they would be conforming to the 'Formal' dress code which on most lines includes national costume. After all national costumes from Scotland, Japan, China and many others are accepted so why not this one??? ;);)

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

While I prefer to wear trousers in the evening, NCL allow tailored shorts in most venues - the French a-la-carte restaurant being the only exception AWAIK.

To be honest, I have met more "Yobs" dressed in dinner suits on Britannia than dressed in shorts on any other cruise line.

5 hours ago, All At Sea said:

While I prefer to wear trousers in the evening, NCL allow tailored shorts in most venues - the French a-la-carte restaurant being the only exception AWAIK.

To be honest, I have met more "Yobs" dressed in dinner suits on Britannia than dressed in shorts on any other cruise line.

You will have met more "Yobs" in dinner suits as shorts are not alliwed, on P&O,in the evening. Try longer cruises, if you can, as there is a different "type" of passenger on them.