eyes12

why should i choose Regent seven seas over Seabourn?

Hi all, I've always loved the idea of Seabourn, I've wanted to try them for so long and I'm finally in a positon now where I can. I've been looking over several options for next year and the itineraries look beautiful but whilst I've been looking I also came across several Regent itineraries too and they also looked amazing. That prompted me to have a closer look at Regent and I can't believe how lovely they look. Now I'm torn over who to try and having admired Seabourn for so long, i don't know what to do.

Can anyone offer any advice over how to split the two? i know they share a lot of similarities but I wondered if anyone has experienced them both and could offer some words of wisdom?

Hi eyes12, I share your like of Seabourn. I've never cruised with them before but I would love to. I just think the ships look stunning so to answer your question, in my opinion, you shouldn't :P

I can see why you would look at Regent too though. The new ship in particular looks very nice and having read a recent thread that mentioned Regent's offerings a lot, they certainly do sound appealing. I just love the look of Seabourn though so if it was me I'd choose them. The idea of the marina at the back of the ship when anchored in the Caribbean and some of the Seabourn excursions too would be the tipping point for me.

We have only cruised with Regent so far because, at the time we were researching cruises, Seabourn allowed smoking on balconies and Regent did not and Regent included excursions in the price whereas they were extra on Seabourn. I believe that Seabourn has now banned smoking on balconies so we may well go with them in future depending on itineraries & dates. The included excursions on Regent are not so important to us now as we are restricted to the Med largely and have done most of the relevant excursions.

As regards suites, food and service we have always found Regent excellent!

Edited by Courtney Ffyshe
typo

sail Hi  I haven't tried Regent but I have sailed with Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal and in truth I couldn't fault any of these cruise lines.  Regent's inclusion of excursions is certainly an appealing reason to cruise with this line.  On a personal level I have visited many ports of call so the itineraries are less important and so I chose a cruise for the on board ambience.  I would happily sail on all these lines but I would probably select either Crystal (the dining is exceptional) or Silversea (the personal service is very attentive).   However, which cruise line you select I am sure you will have a great holiday.

Edited by Land Ahoy

9 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:
5 hours ago, eyes12 said:

Oh thats great if all excursions are included with Regent is this the same wit Silversea as i have seen one with them also?

Hi  Although Regent include a full excursion programme in each port, they still have many supplementary excursions which incur a fee.  Silversea cruise lines do not include excursions in their boarding fare.   I have sailed on three of their ships but not their latest and largest ship.   Although many would find their older and smaller vessels (280 passengers) not to their taste I actually preferred them to the larger Silver Shadow (450 passengers), the personal service was exceptional, after a few days even the wait staff you had little or no contact still knew your name!

We have cruised with Regent and they were OK but not exceptional. The food is ordinary but occasionally quite bland. Seabourn are much better in every aspect, but if you want to return home with a huge satisfied grin try Windstar.

We have sailed on RSSC Mariner and Voyager, and last year on their new Explorer(you may have seen the programme about her build on TV on Friday). Before Explorer, we felt RSSC was  a very good option; with all drinks included--yes, even a decent champagne-- and shorex  , it would be possible to have a nil balance on your shipboard account! We didn't manage that, but the account has been pretty small compared with that on Cunard(our other preferred line.) Until Explorer, however, we felt that the food, whilst good, was not exceptional and Cunard Queens Grill food had the edge. On Explorer, the quality of food had improved to the level where we regarded it as superb!  We are back on Cunard QG again next month, our first time since our RSSC Explorer cruise last Autumn, so it will be interesting to compare.

RSSC crew we think are exceptionally  good. Nothing is too much trouble and always with a smile. Although the ship carries 750 passengers staff quickly remember your name, and favourite drinks. The whole style of the "new" ship is stunning. We loved her, and will certainly sail on her again. Hope this may be of some help.

We have had four cruises with Seabourn and several more with Regent whom we now prefer marginally (we've also had a couple with Silversea). Seabourn are excellent but £ for £ we think Regent better value. On Seabourn you pay for flights and day excursions. Wines offered  are acceptable but not exceptional. For us a problem was not being able to turn off the air con which is permanently on and making background noise. 

Regent include flights and a choice of good excursions in every port in the price. There are also some excellent 2 and 3 day land excursion add ons, as well as 5 star hotel precruise stays. Pool deck lunches are more varied than Seabourn, and often themed. It's worth asking for what alternative wines are complimentary and we have had pouilly fume, pouilly fuisse and chateau neuf. Specialty restaurants are good on both but we prefer sette mare to Seabourn Collonade. 

A word of wisdom. Avoid Regent Explorer for the time being. A magnificent ship on which we crossed the Atlantic but a lot of poor finishes to suites need rectifying in the first year or so (see our TripAdvisor!). Despite that we are with Regent again in June. 

However you won't go wrong on whichever you pick. It's personal at the end of it but we would never go back to anything not inclusive!

Thanks so much Happy Days and the advise with Explorer. i am swaying towards Regent and the 2and 3 day land excursions sound a great option. thanks again. 

Edited by eyes12