Sign in to follow this  
charlielou

Is Fred Olsen's Drink Package Worth It?

I am due to travel on Fred Olsen - Balmoral in July and I cannot decide whether to pre purchase the drinks package or not.  We do like a drink, G&T's and a few Balvenie's but probably a couple an evening.  I heard that the prices are not to bad onboard anyway but do not know if we would get the value out of the package.  Would love to hear from people that have been on Fred Olsen.

I can't comment from the view of having traveled with Fred Olsen as I haven't but I can comment on what I would do personally, if I were in your shoes. If I were booking a Fred Olsen cruise today, I would definitely go for the drinks package. It's been a popular topic of conversation on this forum of late and having read all I can about it, I most certainly would go for it. Of course, I'm not you and I don't know how much you tend to drink on board. I don't drink lots but I know I'd drink enough to get value from it and it's a decent price when compared to rivals.

I also haven't sailed with Fred Olsen, but the comments on their drinks package always seem to be very positive. If you're happy to pay the price and think it's worthwhile I'd suggest going for it, plus it will save you some of the worry of your bill at the end of the cruise.

I haven't sailed with Fred Olsen but I'm sure someone told me they only charge £10 per person per night for their all inclusive package which seems really good, not sure if there are restrictions on what you can have, that might be useful to know before you decide.

I would also go for the drinks package. From what i have read recently i believe the cost has increased to £15 per person per night, but that is still very good value for money. I'd say with 4 or 5 drinks a day you would have got your money's worth. Even if its just on soft drinks.

Hi  Having sailed with Fred quite a few times I think the drinks package is excellent value for money.  However, the spirits served are not the expensive branded products but unless you prefer a specific brand I would definitely take the opportunity to purchase this offer.  In addition, there's a generous 50% discount on all drinks not covered in the package (unless the rules have changed this year).

I have sailed on Fred Olsen Braemar, and it was absolutely worth it 100% even if your only drinking soft drinks it soon mounts up, and the cocktails are half price if you have the drinks package which work out about £2.50 !! amazing value.

22 hours ago, charlielou said:

I am due to travel on Fred Olsen - Balmoral in July and I cannot decide whether to pre purchase the drinks package or not.  We do like a drink, G&T's and a few Balvenie's but probably a couple an evening.  I heard that the prices are not to bad onboard anyway but do not know if we would get the value out of the package.  Would love to hear from people that have been on Fred Olsen.

It's a no brainier, it's represents exceptional value for money.

Go for it, and enjoy.

HLM.

We've tried the package on one of the several cruises we have taken with Fred Olsen (we are Gold Oceans members) and found it too restricting - we also found that on the other FO Cruises we spent less money by selecting and paying for drinks of our choice than we would have done had we purchased the Drinks package. At the time there was 1 Red, 1 White, 1 Rose and 1 Sparkling wine available (in certain bars and restaurants, by the glass) and there were a selection of canned and draught beers and some non alcoholic drink available. Other drinks, including some non-alcoholic drinks, cocktails and premium coffees (Latte, Cappuccino etc) were available at 50% discount.

If you find an FO cruise where the Drinks package is offered free of charge, which it often is - then it's absolutely a great deal.

We believe the package has recently changed, with an increase in price from £10 to £15 pppn, with a slightly improved drink selection available - however reading what's included, on the FO website, we remain of the view it is not great value and will not be opting for it as a paid for option.

It is a requirement that if one member of the Cruise party wants to sign up for the Drinks package then all other members of the party must also take the drinks package.

Just booked a Fred Olsen cruise for next year. Drinks package has gone up to £15.00 so if you are getting the package for £10 I would go for it. One double whisky cost £5.50 last year on Boudicca, (Spanish). A glass of soda to go with it was about £1.25. 

Hi, we travelled with Fred Olsen in January this year and we paid £10 pp per day which we thought was well worth it. I wouldn't pay it if it was £20pp per day though. The wine was good and the prosecco, but the spirits aren't branded and you can tell. Let's say you could have a few G&T's and wouldn't feel squiffy, plus the fact it didn't taste like gin either! 

On 20/04/2017 at 11:59 AM, charlielou said:

Have sailed with Fred's three times, definitely worth getting the drinks package. Good choice of wine by the glass with meals, and not at all stingy if you know what I mean. Not sure about getting top grade malts in the package, but definitely gin and tonics. Enjoy, love the Balmoral.

On 20 April 2017 at 11:59 AM, charlielou said:

On 20/04/2017 at 11:59 AM, charlielou said:

After cruising a lot for many years I now mostly cruise with Fred Olsen.  I always book the drinks package and certainly save.

My daily consumption is a G &T before my evening meal and one while the show is on.  I have 1 glass of wine with my evening meal and a brandy  at bed time. This saves me a considerable amount at £10 a day this is the best value afloat. As for the gratuities £4 a day is such a small amount when compared with all the other cruise lines £2 for your cabin staff and £2 for your dinning room waiters is nothing Go to a restaurant and the accepted tip is 10% of the cost of the meal, far more that Breakfast, Lunch Dinner, morning and afternoon tea plus late night supper. not to pay the gratuities is mean,    

Edited by MB alone

Now that Fred Olsen has increased the price of the drinks package from £10 per day to £15 per day let's hope he improves the quality of the spirits.  Spanish whisky and dreadful gin is not acceptable. Why can't we have Scotch whisky and London gin? My friend said her pimms was like water and cocktails not much better. Are we being taken for a ride!!!!!