Sign in to follow this  
tj42

Why are cruise ship swimming pools so small?

On 4/24/2017 at 11:57 AM, Yiddish Boy said:

Speaking of pools.....my beloved HartlePOOL are about to be relegated from the football league. (Sighs) had to get that off my chest!:(

01AST2JQ.jpg

I hope they bounce back soon, if only to see the delight on Jeff Stelling's face alone. 

4 minutes ago, cruise chef said:

Ooh Sammy that's a bit tenious, maybe if the team had been a bit more synchronized they wouldn't be swimming with the fishes at the bottom. Rich I know when my boys have also been relegated. Still look on the bright side at least you have a cup final to look forward

Third in four years CC, Wembley's beginning to feel like home :)

Just papering the cracks really though. The FA Cup would be fantastic to win again but it doesn't make up for sitting 7th in the league having spent what we have.

Alas, a spell in the conference (AKA national league) will do Pools good. There is something quite Biblical in reaching rock bottom and finding ones way back. Personally I find the non league scene is full of real passion, a stark contrast to the vulgarity of the premier league....IMO of course. Many thanks Quarters:)  

Quite simple really, just 1 cubic metre of water = 1 metric tonne.

Choose any size of pool you want in metres, times your preferred passenger depth too, and suddenly in choppy water or worse, you have a very unstable mass of weight, sloshing about, all over the place, often at traditionally quite high levels nowadays, above the ship's COG (essential equilibrium) nowadays. Hence why ship pools are often, quite sensibly, quickly emptied and closed in rough or inclement weather.

For all her latter day critics and detractors, I recall that QE2's Spa areas and main pools, were located at a far lower levels within the ship. They certainly knew how to build a safe ship in those days !

Peter.

On the lovely old Victoria (built as Kungsholm) there was a lovely little indoor pool area very low down in the ship.  It was ideal for days of cool or rotten weather.

Never really questioned this before but I suppose the answers given all make sense. I've always found the pools on board to be adequate in size.

Neptune pool on Arcadia does have a shallow end but being just over 6ft tall I like to stay in the deep end. It is also great fun if there is a bit of a swell. The thing that really annoys me is the spa pools that do not work and have worked on that ship for the last few years. I find the pool size just about right.  When taking our grandchildren on a short cruise a couple of years ago my then 10 year grandson asked if they would be able to jump of the ship and go for a swim, something they had done will on holiday in Spain the previous year. We told him he could jump of just the once. On seeing the ship for the first time he understood why we had said just the once. Needless to say he didn't ask to do it again.