Sign in to follow this  
WAVES

Has anyone cruised with Star Clippers?

I I    I love the look of this cruise line, it’s exactly the type of holiday I’m looking for. My other half however, needs a bit of convincing. I wondered if anyone has sailed with them before and can give me some ammunition to use when trying to convince him? It’s completely different to the norm, which I love. Is it still good service on board? I can see the sizes of the ships on the website but do they feel spacious or can it feel a bit claustrophobic at times?

I think I've only ever seen one review for Star Clippers on here but I could be wrong. I couldn't comment on them from personal experience as I've never sailed with them. I'm afraid, a bit like your partner, I would be a bit apprehensive about sailing with them. Not because they don't look lovely but because I tend to prefer a bigger ship with more dining varieties. I fear I'd get a little bored with Star Clippers. Just my opinion of course, and again, others might suggest I'm wrong and would have a great time.

I have never been but have some friends are going in June around Bali, she has been telling me all about and it looks fantastic. From what she has said the cabins are very basic but i think you would expect this on one of those ships. You can also help with the sails and chill out on the ropes apparently!

I can imagine when in the cabin they are very small but up on deck you would be fine as i imagine more open deck space than inside space on the top deck!

I think service on board would still be a brilliant standard just from looking on their website.

Im sure i will have a lot more to tell you when my friends get back in July!

It's not a cruise line I tend to hear or read much about. They're so different in the way they do things but I guess I could see the appeal for a few days. Somewhere like Bali as Rum+Sun's friends are doing would do nicely as a 'taster' :)

Just had a look at the site and did the virtual tour of Royal Clipper. It does look very grand on board but they appear a little too traditionally decorated for my liking. I prefer something more contemporary and I think, even despite only having 227 passengers on board, I'd still find the open decks a bit too crowded on busy days. I may be completely wrong in my perception of them but it looks like it would cost me a fair bit of money to prove myself right, so for now I'll stick to other lines.

I've seen a few people praise Star Clippers and from the itineraries I've seen they do look very appealing! There seems to be plenty of open space on the top deck and as someone has already mentioned, the cabins do seem very basic from the photos I’ve seen - I suppose it’s more about the experience on board Star Clippers than the glamour and latest technology. I'm not sure if the all the ships in the fleet have this, but you can climb to the lookout posts on the masts where you can observe the scenery.

Went on Royal Clipper a few years ago round Italy. The first thing to realise is that this is different from the usual large ship cruise. Only a couple of hundred or so passengers, and obviously it doesn't have the usual large ship facilities or entertainment. We had an outside cabin with port holes. It was smaller than most cruise ship cabins, but beautifully finished with marble bathroom, lots of polished mahogany etc, and perfectly adequate. We were comfortable and had no complaints about our room. Food is very good, perhaps not as extensive a choice as the large ships, but again we were very satisfied. You can sit where and with whom you like, and formal wear is not required. Plenty of sunbeds on deck, and a couple of small plunge pools. The ship has its own water sports equipment via a platform which lowers at the stern. You can also lie in the bow net whilst the ship is under way. It's all very relaxed, and you can visit the bridge if you wish. It's a fabulous, unique experience. Just forget what you're used to on large ships, and go with an open mind. Any other questions, please ask.