Sign in to follow this  
Bumble Bee

London-Perth Direct Flight With Qantas

As of March 24 2018, we will be able to fly direct from London to Perth Australia. Qantas are the airline and the flight will take 17.5 hrs.  My question is, would you do this? Or do you prefer the stop off part way? To me, the idea is amazing, a direct flight to Perth. Would I do it? Probably not. I like getting off and stretching my legs. Also, planes arnt the most comfortable places and even when i manage to drop off, its never for to long, I think when i was to look at the screen and see 15 hrs left it would drive me crazy! x

It is an extremely long flight to do all in one. I've done some long-haul flights but never anything quite like that so for me, I would probably prefer the stop-off to break it up a little bit. Of course, the flip side is that you get to your destination faster but I can't imagine being too comfortable on a flight for that amount of time. Not unless you're travelling in First or Business, which many people will not be doing. 

56 minutes ago, sammy sun said:

It is an extremely long flight to do all in one. I've done some long-haul flights but never anything quite like that so for me, I would probably prefer the stop-off to break it up a little bit. Of course, the flip side is that you get to your destination faster but I can't imagine being too comfortable on a flight for that amount of time. Not unless you're travelling in First or Business, which many people will not be doing. 

i agree, being cooped up for such  a long flight in one seat maybe business but still! id like to get off and break iti up i think.

It would also depend on who I was flying with I think. If I was alone or just with my wife then maybe but if my daughter was with us then no way would I want this flight. We'd need a break in between. We already walk up and down the aisle hundreds of times when flying to places like Portugal so on that flight, I'd feel as though I'd walked to Australia!

1 hour ago, The Seven Seas said:

It's a great idea but not entirely sure if I would personally want to do this flight without stopping over - if you're in First Class or Business then it's probably not so bad.

If I was in 1st Class I'd happily fly direct :D

I would prefer a direct flight to wasting time in airports.  Up to now, fifteen hours is the longest flight I have taken and if I could survive that, seventeen and a half is not much longer.  When we went to Australia the journey took 23 hours with stops.  

Sheila

I went to Vietnam last year with Vietnam Airlines, direct Heathrow to Ho Chi Minh. I was really anxious as hadn't heard of the airline before, it has bad reviews online & its a 12.5 hour flight.

I cannot praise them enough!! It was a new dreamliner aircraft, food and service was fantastic and only £400 return!

On 4/28/2017 at 4:36 PM, MG16 said:

I went to Vietnam last year with Vietnam Airlines, direct Heathrow to Ho Chi Minh. I was really anxious as hadn't heard of the airline before, it has bad reviews online & its a 12.5 hour flight.

I cannot praise them enough!! It was a new dreamliner aircraft, food and service was fantastic and only £400 return!

That's an incredible fare MG16 for a return service. Glad to hear the airline was impressive too as for that price I would have expected a different result. 

I would do this. I know it's a long time to be in the air but if it means getting to such a destination as that faster then sign me up. I don't see the point in wasting time with a stop over if it's not needed. If you're spending a few days somewhere else on the way then that's a different story but if it's a quick stop off before going again, I'd rather the direct flight.

Whilst the ability to get the trip over on one leg is very attractive, I don't think we would do this.  When we flew London to Sydney last year we went via Singapore. The stop in Singapore was scheduled for around 2 hours but I changed that to take the next flight which meant a stop of around 5 hours.  This allowed us after to stretch our legs, have a shower, a basic change if clothes and a good meal. And of course an opportunity to enjoy a great airport such as the butterfly farm etc. We could have had a sleep in a bed if we wanted!.  We felt fully refreshed for our next flight to Sydney which was around 7-1/2 hrs.  We arrive in Sydney around 9:00 AM and were able to enjoy most of that day. We plan to do the same for a repeat visit next year. Each to their own but I dont think 17 hrs non-stop is for us. 

Since the most stressful part of flying is having to arrive at the departure airport very early, then queue to check in and again for security, then I think a direct flight has lots of advantages; and I believe they use the 787 which has reputedly more legroom and more spacious seats, so I would certainly give it a try.  However only if Perth was on my itinerary, if I was heading for anywhere in the east then it would not be advantageous.

We flew to Sydney in one go with 2/3 hours in Bangkok to re-fuel, due to work commitments we could only take 3 weeks holiday and as much as we would have liked a stopover it wasn't an option for us at the time, from memory I think we were 23 hours travelling .. my goodness watching the clock go round seemed like forever but so worth it once we arrived.

I know the feeling Dancing Queen. I hate falling asleep on the flight, waking up to see you still have hours to go. I recently flew London-Singapore direct and that was one hell of a flight. at £340 return though, it was far too good to pass on. x