RiverSong

How Many Cruises Have You Been On With The Same Line? Over 200 yet?

Is it better the Devil you know?  A couple from the States have completed 200 sailings with Carnival Cruise Lines in just 15 years and more than 100 of them have been on board Carnival Sensation in the same cabin.  They’ve got no intention of getting their head turned either with an impressive 30 more sailing in the bag.

What is the most sailings you’ve been on with the same line?

200 cruises on the same cruise ship seems a little excessive to me, with another 30 in the bag! Of course it's all personal opinion but I'd much rather try and expereince other cruise lines and see what they have to offer. I suppose some people do a similar thing with their land-based holiday, refusing to go/look elsewhere as they know what they are getting when they book and love how the staff always look after them.

200 cruises is incredible! I wish I was a penny behind them :P

I couldn't stick to one cruise line for that amount of sailings though, I understand people wanting peace of mind from time to time and to know what they're going to get but I'm with Seven Seas, I like to try different lines and experience new ships. I've done 6 P&O Cruises and that's the most I've done with a single cruise line but they have been sandwiched by cruises with other lines, not just one after the other.

I have done over 20 cruises with P&O, this is due to travelling with my parents from being very young. Now I am older I am looking to experiment with other cruise lines, saving up for a Regent cruise one day!

I have done about 25 cruises in the last 20 years most have been with P & O, Arcadia being my favourite I am due my 9th cruise with her in September. I am also looking forward to Adonia being back in the fleet I had a couple of great holidays on her.  The couple who had done 200 cruises, it would be interesting to know how many days. A lot of Americans only do short 7 day trips each time. While we British stay on board for a lot longer. Once on a beach in Antigua we got talking to a gentleman from Chicago who was on another cruise ship and was amazed that were sailing from and back to Southampton 24 nights. He was the person that told us about the 7 day holidays taken by most Americans 

I couldn't imagine taking many cruises on the same ship and from reading another site, their itinerary was the same too.  If I lived in Florida and could hop onto a ship for short cruises I might take more, but actually the Caribbean has lost its appeal for me.   I think itinerary is the important thing, so although we have taken fifteen cruises on Celebrity we have been on all but two of their ships, and have not repeated an itinerary.  We have cruised five other lines too.

Sheila

Well in excess of 100 cruises with 18 different lines. The most is probably with Airtours back in  1990/2000's I think it was 26. Nothing compared with people I have met but in fairness most of them are from the USA where cruises are far cheaper than here in the UK and the choice without having to fly is far greater.

Question, anyone who has done vast amounts of cruises with the same cruise line, does that make them experienced!!!

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Well in excess of 100 cruises with 18 different lines. The most is probably with Airtours back in  1990/2000's I think it was 26. Nothing compared with people I have met but in fairness most of them are from the USA where cruises are far cheaper than here in the UK and the choice without having to fly is far greater.

Question, anyone who has done vast amounts of cruises with the same cruise line, does that make them experienced!!!

The choice of no fly cruises in US is only great if you live within driving distance of a port.  Most ex US cruises go to the Caribbean apart from the once a year repositioning cruises and a few Panama Canal routes.  I forgot some West Coast itineraries like Hawaii or Alaska, but no one could do east and west coast cruises without flying to one or the other.  We could do a no fly cruise from Florida, but it would involve a three day drive from Toronto, which is not much fun.

I don't consider someone who had only cruised with one line to be an experienced cruiser.  If you stick to one line, you really don't know how this compares with others

We will do our 8th cruise on Eclipse later this year ,but have sailed with other lines some more than once and on different ships.

Best I heard of one  lady who cruise on whichever ship the entertainer Perry Grant was on and had clocked up over 120 cruises with Celebrity ....Davybe

Hi  I have sailed in nearly 60 cruises and tried 16 different cruise lines but I have sailed with Fred Olsen more than any other (15 cruises).  When I first started cruising there were only three cruise lines sailing regularly from the UK  (Cunard, Fred Olsen, and P&O) and none of these lines had any new build ships but all offered a more formal "traditional" style of cruising.   Short duration fly cruises (14 nights or less)  were a rarity (Cunard Countess in the Caribbean was the exception) and very expensive due to the cost of the long haul flights.   We are now spoiled for choice with plenty of different cruise lines offering a range of on board ambiences and at prices which are exceptional value for money and I personally like to try different cruise lines I have always enjoyed them all even the ones I probably won't chose again.

Edited by Land Ahoy

17 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

I have done about 25 cruises in the last 20 years most have been with P & O, Arcadia being my favourite I am due my 9th cruise with her in September. I am also looking forward to Adonia being back in the fleet I had a couple of great holidays on her.  The couple who had done 200 cruises, it would be interesting to know how many days. A lot of Americans only do short 7 day trips each time. While we British stay on board for a lot longer. Once on a beach in Antigua we got talking to a gentleman from Chicago who was on another cruise ship and was amazed that were sailing from and back to Southampton 24 nights. He was the person that told us about the 7 day holidays taken by most Americans 

Maybe one of the reasons Americans only take short trips is down to the fact that they only have very modest Annual Leave allowances.  Work ethic is much stronger over there.  No excuse for the retired, of course but, once set in your ways...........??

DavidH

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

We will do our 8th cruise on Eclipse later this year ,but have sailed with other lines some more than once and on different ships.

Best I heard of one  lady who cruise on whichever ship the entertainer Perry Grant was on and had clocked up over 120 cruises with Celebrity ....Davybe

I saw Perry Grant once - not my cup of tea.  His fans must have been devastated when he jumped ship for Princess, although they have probably expanded their cruising experience now.

13 hours ago, smtcan said:

The choice of no fly cruises in US is only great if you live within driving distance of a port.  Most ex US cruises go to the Caribbean apart from the once a year repositioning cruises and a few Panama Canal routes.  I forgot some West Coast itineraries like Hawaii or Alaska, but no one could do east and west coast cruises without flying to one or the other.  We could do a no fly cruise from Florida, but it would involve a three day drive from Toronto, which is not much fun.

I don't consider someone who had only cruised with one line to be an experienced cruiser.  If you stick to one line, you really don't know how this compares with others

Good point smtcan but how about cruises out of New York which is a lot nearer for you to Bermuda and the Bahamas. . 

2 hours ago, smtcan said:

I saw Perry Grant once - not my cup of tea.  His fans must have been devastated when he jumped ship for Princess, although they have probably expanded their cruising experience now.

We saw him off stage and he is so different from his stage act.He would go shopping or having a meal with Joyce (Think her name was) rumour had it he jumped because Celebrity kept shifting his venue around on Celebrity ,Not to my taste ether but some went to see him every night ...Davybe 

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Good point smtcan but how about cruises out of New York which is a lot nearer for you to Bermuda and the Bahamas. . 

Still limited choice.  We sailed out of New York once, went down by coach which was a harrowing experience (would not have been so bad if we hadn't had State Troopers board the bus and delay us for three hours, but that is another story.)  It took two days to reach warm weather, then two days of worsening temperatures on the way back.  New York is an eleven hour drive from here, we did it several times when our son lived there, but preferred to fly when reasonable prices were available.  Parking was $30  per night in his apartment building, so for more than a weekend flying seemed a good option.

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

We saw him off stage and he is so different from his stage act.He would go shopping or having a meal with Joyce (Think her name was) rumour had it he jumped because Celebrity kept shifting his venue around on Celebrity ,Not to my taste ether but some went to see him every night ...Davybe 

He was actually very funny on Liar's Club, quite different from his stage act.  I checked his Facebook page to see if I remembered correctly that he was on Princess and he has just completed a Crystal world cruise, but is going back to Princess.   I think you are correct about why he left Celebrity.  His preferred venue was apparently Michael's Club so when they changed that to a suites' lounge he was moved to a much larger room, which he felt didn't suit his act.

I have done 20 or so with Cunard over the three ships, and same again on P&O on about five of the fleet, and three on Celebrity over a period of some twenty years, the QE2 was my ship, I loved her with a passion I know she was difficult to navigate around she ground and creeped but the atmosphere was something else, It was the feeling you had when embarking I don't think I have ever felt the same experience on other ship.

l can understand if your older you feel safe with what you know, so 200 cruises on the same ship, like home from home

I am happy to be doing my third, I adore travel and still hark back to my EURO INTER RAIL days. Whilst cruising is a slow and somewhat easy way of spending a holiday....I do miss the independence and freedom of my own itinerary!

Next year we fly off to the west coast of America to stay with family. We are then flying internally to Iowa to meet friends. Back to the west and a train to Canada for a few days. Back down the coast and onto California before coming home. This will all change or be added to as our plans take shape. A three week stay will cover it!

No doubt we will do our fourth cruise the year after.....frankly 200 seems like you have become "crew"!!!!

It really is a case of horses for courses, or whatever floats your personal boat, I guess?

Thankfully the cruise industry is both large and diverse enough to accommodate all whims and fancies, tastes and opinions. Not to mention lifestyles and bank balances as well?

As a very young lad, we visited a small Holiday Camp on Hayling Island, throughout the 1950's. It was all we knew of course and we totally loved it, watching the ships come up to the Nab Tower out on the horizon, from the beach, was the highlight on many a day spent on the beach. Little did I realise of course, what quiet dreams and ambitions, were slowly building inside that boyhood head of mine, at the time.

We didn't actually cruise until my retirement, in fact I officially 'retired', whilst onboard QE2 on our first cruise to Norway in June 2003.

We like to try many cruise lines too, and when possible, also experience other ships within their fleets too.

Currently  Holland America Line tops our list with 7 cruises, (hopefully 8, later on in the year). Then come Cunard & P&O with 5 cruises a piece (soon to be 6 in a couple of months when Oriana gets added to their tally)  then Silversea, Fred Olsen & Celebrity with 3 cruises each;  Azamara with 2 cruises,  plus a further 6 single cruises on 6 different cruise lines.

Thus 34 cruises on 29 different ships. Having repeated only once on QE2; the current Queen Elizabeth; Aurora;  Arcadia & Volendam.

Reason: there's nearly always a different ship going somewhere, that we'd like to go. So our 'niche' within the overall scheme of cruising  is 'different ships and different destinations'.

"All aboard!"  

Peter.

Edited by HALaP&O
Typo

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, KeithnRita said:

We are in Port Canaveral today waiting to board the Carnival Magic tomorrow which will be cruise #36 spread out over 6 cruise lines.

'Have fun & enjoy the cruise' !!

Peter.

On 27/04/2017 at 1:23 PM, RiverSong said:

Is it better the Devil you know?  A couple from the States have completed 200 sailings with Carnival Cruise Lines in just 15 years and more than 100 of them have been on board Carnival Sensation in the same cabin.  They’ve got no intention of getting their head turned either with an impressive 30 more sailing in the bag.

What is the most sailings you’ve been on with the same line?

Sad. Whilst we all have favorite ships and itineraries surely variety is the spice of life?

We have done about ten cruises over about a twenty year period with another booked for May 12 th, but If you counted our 70 day portion of a World Cruise as seperate segments it would probably make it about fifteen so can not compete with most  of the entries!  All have been on different ships and four different cruise lines - P&0, Princess, RCI and Cunard. I can understand someone sticking to one cruise company after they have tried others, but I do feel glad a bad experience on one cruise made me try another cruise line. Now I try to keep an open mind and certainly will try others, especially if they offer one of these cruise, followed by a train journey then maybe staying in a Lodge or hotel and trip back on another different cruise line, as we did when we went to Alaska on Princess. When we were on our World Cruise with Cunard we spoke to a lady who was doing her eighth World Cruise on Cunard, at about 140 days a time that makes it about  1,120 days!! She said that wasn't at all unusual many people virtually lived on the ships rather than end up in a bad care home!!  Don't think I'll have enough money to do that even if I sold the house but have dropped serveral hints to my family!!!  When money and time is tight I can understand sticking to a tried and tested ship but when I can, I do like to mix it up a bit!