samfox01

Do cruise lines offer ship visits or experience days?

2 hours ago, RobBar said:

The days of visit for a day while in port for family or interested are gone. It I better to contact your Travel Agent or major cruise forum  admin to see what might be available. Cruise lines will take a Travel Agent(S)  or major group  for a day tour of the ship and provide a lunch. The issue is to do with security and ensuring the guests have left the ship . At times they will provide a meet and greet

Sorry that is the case in Canada Rob. Although here in the UK you can't just turn up and get a day on board there are lots of visits available here in the UK for members of entities such as Silver Travel Advisor and the Ocean Liner Society.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Thanks RobBar at least I know now things are not any different in Canada! Though I must admit when we sailed out of Vancouver in 2007 on Princess to cruise Alaska we had several lovely strangers wave us off from the dock/pier area, this was for my husbands 60th birthday.  Sadly we are sailing on the 12th May from Southampton for my husbands 70th birthday and not even a stranger to say 'Bon Voyage', as it is certainly not worth our daughter travelling all that way for nothing! By the way we loved Vancouver and would like to see more of it. We have  on our second " Bucket List"  another cruise/ train journey that leaves from there so look forward to visiting it again .... money & health permitting of course!!

thank you all for replies and information

AS Southampton is a year round port vs our ports mainly Alaska then cruise lines as you say drum up business and also in proving short cruises of 1 -3 days are able to market  more to select groups that can send more customers to them. I know one of your major Online Agent sites have an annual event on selected ships to sample new designs and food. Charging a small fee is really a way to control the serious access. When we did our 28 day Aussie cruise on Princess back in 2011  at  a few major cities stops  . Travel Agent groups were brought on board and taken around the ship. Last year at Ogden Point some of my friends were invited  on NCL for a day tour and supper, again b a major TA group who NCL used a lot . On our Queen Victoria cruise last month , 2nd last segment of the World Voyage  I saw some folks being toured around in Los Angeles if I have it right .. In Victoria have not seen it happen much or if so its a tight secret. If it is the first time a ships docks  then the Chamber of Commerce or Tourism Victoria can be invited, That is what I need to do, become a member :)   In May 2019 Cunard  Queen Elizabeth will be docking for the first time in Victoria (Ogden Point) , I plan to be on that sequent .

Nimrod,, hope you can make it back to Vancouver and enjoy our fiords and mountains... We just did the Panama Canal on Queen Victoria ... utterly amazing

Cheers all / ROb

Totally agree RoBar we did the Panama Canal on Queen Victoria as part of our 70 day portion of her world cruise 2013 Southampton to Hong Kong. As you say utterly amazing ,as was the whole cruise, totally changed my whole way of thinking but that's another story or maybe for my memoirs ( not that anyone would read them)  have enough trouble getting anyone to read my diary, poem or look at my photos.......their eyes seem to glaze over!!!

2 hours ago, Nimrod said:

Totally agree RoBar we did the Panama Canal on Queen Victoria as part of our 70 day portion of her world cruise 2013 Southampton to Hong Kong. As you say utterly amazing ,as was the whole cruise, totally changed my whole way of thinking but that's another story or maybe for my memoirs ( not that anyone would read them)  have enough trouble getting anyone to read my diary, poem or look at my photos.......their eyes seem to glaze over!!!

As my kids say, their loss , glad you enjoyed that 70 day segment and experienced the Panama Canal. We did the San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale one last month. 

My daughter gave me a first edition on the Panama Canal published 1978 so I had to display it on its voyage. 0040 is QV in Cabo San Lucas , 0168 Tug pushing us into lock, 0171 Liz enjoying at 7am us entering the 1st lock from the Pacific side, 0172 mules at work, 0192. what else do you do for a full day transit  :)

1-IMG_0016.JPG

1-IMG_0040.JPG

1-IMG_0168.JPG

1-IMG_0171.JPG

1-IMG_0172.JPG

1-IMG_0192.JPG

Wow, thanks for the photos bought back many memories. Unfortunately when we transited our first lock at 5 am we were in our cabin because my husband (who was perfectly  fit & healthy when we left Southampton)  had developed a massive abcess on his knee which had to be removed by surgery in Montego Bay Hospital and had to go down to the medical centre at 6 am for more antibiotics! Although he was confined to a wheelchair for a large portion of the cruise & obviously it limited a lot of things we could do, such as swimming, dancing etc we were so,so lucky to be allowed to continue our "journey" thanks to QV's great medical team, but as I said previously that's another story! I found it hard to comprehend the speed at which the ship was lifted ...one minute in our cabin we were looking at a brick wall then in a flash it seemed we were looking at the top and land. I've watched many narrow boats go through locks here in England and it always fascinates me but lifting vessels of that size, that quick, amazing doesn't really describe it!!  Only just mastering the art of the iPad & caused havoc some time ago  just posting on this forum so don't think  I dare attempt a photo yet but loved yours!!

We have done three of these "ship's visits", two in Southampton aboard the Oriana and Grand Princess, and once in Portsmouth aboard Fred Olsen's Boudicca. All were around £25 per person and included a three course lunch with wine and a guided tour of the ship.

We boarded around 10:00am and disembarked around 2:30 pm. All visits were good value and informative.

I believe there is a website regarding ship's visits, but on the 3 occasions we visited was by invitation through postal leaflets.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:02 PM, samfox01 said:

I’m just trying to research whether or not some cruise lines give people the chance to visit their ships for the day. I’ve read a few comments on here and on other sites where people have mentioned that they have “visited” ships before for a look around. Is this an option to do? If so can anyone offer any advice on which cruise lines do this? It would be great to be able to view a cruise line before actually booking just to see what it is like on board before spending a large sum of money.

Hi, P&O definitely do ship visits. You can go on for a day, (well about 4 hours) on which ship you would like to visit. You do a tour of the ship with a guide and then have a 3 course lunch in one of the main dining rooms. You can check which dates are available for each ship on the P&O website ship visits. It cost £25 each the last time we visited.