Sign in to follow this  
seawitch

Any suggestions for Cagliari?

We are calling at Cagliari this summer. Not our first visit but our last visit was almost 20 years ago and we were not over impressed. Ships tours don't look too inspiring. Has anybody any suggestions? are taxis available for private tours? if so how much and any recommendations. Has anyone done any ships tours that are worth doing? I will admit that when you read small print and a half day tour includes free time in the port of Cagliari, I wonder what we would be paying for.

Have visited several times on cruise ship stops, 2nd largest island in the Med. A good way to explore from Cagliari is by the ‘Little Train’ which is not far from where the shuttle bus drops you off. It takes you out of the city to the Napoleon Memorial then back through the old town onto the coast road across the island past the famous cemetery and affluent areas to the little church and museum. By the time you arrive back you will be in no doubt that Napoleon had an influence on the island.

The main square where the Little train starts and terminates has many bars, cafes and restaurants most of which have excellent 'Free' wi-fi'.

Visited this port in April on Britannia. There is a tourist bus that takes you around the local area if think the charge s 10 euros. However the town itself is not that inviting not much to do. It was quite  windy when we were there but hopefully when you go it should have warmed up a little. My advice is to do some research on the area and decide if you will go on a ships tour or on your own.