moonshine

Is this the beginning of the end for dress codes?

45 minutes ago, Jenjen said:

I enjoy the formal nights, dressing up, and what used to be semi formal, I have spent a vast amount of money, on long dresses, and cocktail dresses, which, guess what I wear, and continue to do so, my husband would never go to dinner without a jacket. Dress codes are one thing which I like, but even if they become totally relaxed I will continue to dress up if I want too.

just my opinion don't shoot 

No one is going to shoot Jenjen. This is a friendly forum even though views differ which is what life is about. If the dress code is casual and you wish to dress up who is to say you shouldn't in the same way as if the dress code is formal who is to say you shouldn't dress casual. It works both ways and comes down to choice of the individual.

10 hours ago, parki said:

The reason for cruising is to have formal evenings. Dress codes are dropping everywhere but to have a formal evening and see everyone in their best attire is wonderful. I would prefer more formal evenings. We always cruise with P and O but have also been on the Queen Mary. The whole ambience of the ship changes on formal evenings.

Totally agree with parki,its part of the all cruise experience,

3 hours ago, Jenjen said:

I enjoy the formal nights, dressing up, and what used to be semi formal, I have spent a vast amount of money, on long dresses, and cocktail dresses, which, guess what I wear, and continue to do so, my husband would never go to dinner without a jacket. Dress codes are one thing which I like, but even if they become totally relaxed I will continue to dress up if I want too.

It's very nice to know that some people still enjoy dressing for dinner. 

In a recent cruise on theOriana it appeared quite a few ladies still wore cocktail dresses and the gentlemen shirt and jacket. 

I agree totally with, what appears at this point, to be a majority in favour of keeping the dress codes and the formal nights. It is such a shame that the whole "Theatre" of cruising , travelling from place in a civilised manner, with the various themed nights such as Black & White Ball, Masquerade Ball, Hawaian /Island night ( which was certainly not formal)  etc.,etc.,  has come down to certain people not wanting  to follow a dress code for a fairly small number of nights in possibly a 14 day cruise while they eat!!  I agree some of these "so called" Fine Dining establishments don't require Suit & Tie or a DJ  but they don't have beautiful dance floors, theatres with live shows & music , different ports everyday and all the other entertainment I associate with  cruising ....it's not all about food, it is the whole package that you can not get from a land based holiday. I don't understand why people will pay hideous amounts of money to attend a "so called" celebrity Black Tie/ Red Carpet Event yet ask them to follow a dress code on a cruise ship and suddenly it's taking away their freedom?  As for all these "younger" people  why will they ( or their parents) spend silly money on a school prom, or clothes for a fancy dress party yet dare to suggest they put on something appropriate on a ship and it's mutiny!  I have no problem at all with ships that have a casual dress code and would respect that but please pay that same respect to those who have a formal code too and if you don' t like it  choose an alternative type of holiday. As for the Cruise Lines that would rather become third rate floating hotels catering for the masses rather than look after their regular loyal customers ,Beware, just remember who has the most  free time and  money!!

Edited by Nimrod
Missed word

11 hours ago, Jenjen said:

No one will shoot you Jenjen as you make an excellent point, it comes down to personal choice.

You love to dress up for the occasion, some would rather be more smart casual but as long as everyone enjoys themselves who really cares :D

HLM.

7 hours ago, Nimrod said:

I agree totally with, what appears at this point, to be a majority in favour of keeping the dress codes and the formal nights. It is such a shame that the whole "Theatre" of cruising , travelling from place in a civilised manner, with the various themed nights such as Black & White Ball, Masquerade Ball, Hawaian /Island night ( which was certainly not formal)  etc.,etc.,  has come down to certain people not wanting  to follow a dress code for a fairly small number of nights in possibly a 14 day cruise while they eat!!  I agree some of these "so called" Fine Dining establishments don't require Suit & Tie or a DJ  but they don't have beautiful dance floors, theatres with live shows & music , different ports everyday and all the other entertainment I associate with  cruising ....it's not all about food, it is the whole package that you can not get from a land based holiday. I don't understand why people will pay hideous amounts of money to attend a "so called" celebrity Black Tie/ Red Carpet Event yet ask them to follow a dress code on a cruise ship and suddenly it's taking away their freedom?  As for all these "younger" people  why will they ( or their parents) spend silly money on a school prom, or clothes for a fancy dress party yet dare to suggest they put on something appropriate on a ship and it's mutiny!  I have no problem at all with ships that have a casual dress code and would respect that but please pay that same respect to those who have a formal code too and if you don' t like it  choose an alternative type of holiday. As for the Cruise Lines that would rather become third rate floating hotels catering for the masses rather than look after their regular loyal customers ,Beware, just remember who has the most  free time and  money!!

I think you will find those who pay"Hideous amounts"and attend proms dressed to the nines ,would be quite happy to dress up on a cruise.My Granddaughter would love it ?? 

Have a look at a wedding at your local church ,even a funeral see how many do not as we would traditionally dress for these occasions,and perhaps the cruise lines are looking ahead ,as those with the time and money ,have a limited amount of time left to cruise...Davybe

I started cruising 20+ years ago and still prefer a more traditional style cruise on a more traditional style ship.  Consequently I enjoy Formal Evenings and wearing a jacket (& possibly tie) sometimes for non-formal nights.  As others have said above, I feel it is nice to be doing something different and I love the ambience of a formal night when everyone takes part.  I would probably not choose to cruise on a line with an all-casual dress code.  I think there is room for both styles and hope that some of the cruise lines continue to adopt a formal dress code on a reasonable number of nights (like 4 on a two-week cruise).

12 hours ago, afcandrew said:

I started cruising 20+ years ago and still prefer a more traditional style cruise on a more traditional style ship.  Consequently I enjoy Formal Evenings and wearing a jacket (& possibly tie) sometimes for non-formal nights.  As others have said above, I feel it is nice to be doing something different and I love the ambience of a formal night when everyone takes part.  I would probably not choose tocruise on a line with an all-casual dress code.  I think there is room for both styles and hope that some of the cruise lines continue to adopt a formal dress code on a reasonable number of nights (like 4 on a two-week cruise).

Do so agree with you. My husband & I are 20+ year ago cruisers  too and share your sentiments that there is room for both. This Friday we are boarding a ship that would not necessarily be our ship of choice were we on our own, but it was organised by our son for my husbands 70th birthday, other people are involved, and  our expectations are different.  We intend to enjoy ourselves  and am sure we will but for different reasons. At least at the moment we have  that choice!  Althoigh I am fully aware that soon we will all be in "Davy Jones Locker"  and are such a "drain" on society  trying to hold on to our traditions and are probably fighting a loosing battle, change is not always for the better,

Being in my mid-fifties, I hopefully have a good few years left in me yet (although sadly we never know).  That however does not stop me appreciating a sophisticated ambience and even a bit of gentility!  I hope you have a fabulous cruise with your family. 

On 5/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, B&M said:

We agree whole heartedly with you. Cruising to the Baltics very shortly on the Eclipse. It will be very interesting to see how people dress now that they have relaxed their dress codes.

Hope You enjoy your cruise .It did seem strange when we first came accross "Evening Chic" but it works well IMO ,you dress as you wish ,up or down ,the minimum is smart casual.

Some chose to dress up and others not to (Me) but wore a sports coat or a blazer with or without tie as I felt.Some EX P&O whingers were moaning about not enforcing the dress code ,but there is no dress code to enforce, We had a great time meeting some nice people,most of them could not give a damn how who dress ....Davybe

WE WOULD NOT BOOK A CRUISE WHICH DID NOT HAVE FORMAL NIGHTS.  JUST US BUT WE LIKE TO DRESS AND BE WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE AND SPEND QUALITY TIME. WHERE ELSE COULD YOU ENJOY SUCH AN EXPERIENCE.

19 minutes ago, towny44 said:

I do like the odd formal night, but think that 4 on a 14 night cruise with P&O is one too many.

4 too many for me.  I like to look smart, I wouldn't dream of eating anywhere other than the MDRs or the speciality restaurants, and I wouldn't dream of turning up in anything remotely approaching beachware, or anything like jeans, T-shirts or trainers.  

But I really don't see why anybody should be obliged to turn up in a DJ or a suit, just to allow the slightly downmarket P&O/Cunard/Carnival operation to try to make itself look like something which it plainly is not.  It's just smoke and mirrors stuff.  A bit like the 'butlers' we get in a suite.  Illusions and delusions of grandeur.  ;)

5 hours ago, bigrog said:

WE WOULD NOT BOOK A CRUISE WHICH DID NOT HAVE FORMAL NIGHTS.  JUST US BUT WE LIKE TO DRESS AND BE WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE AND SPEND QUALITY TIME. WHERE ELSE COULD YOU ENJOY SUCH AN EXPERIENCE.

You are quite entitled to your opinion and luckily there are cruise lines to suit everyone.  What I don't think is appropriate is when people cruise on a line with a relaxed dress code then complain because it doesn't enforce formal dress.

9 hours ago, bigrog said:

I think there will always be some form of formal nights, however I strongly suspect it'll soon be a more casual affair with a 'dress up if you like type of attitude'.

The reality is that more and more people are wanting a more relaxed dress code, some cruiselines have taken note of this and are already introducing a more relaxed approach, and some are simply not enforcing what's already in place.

HLM.

I must say that my wife and I still look forward to and enjoy formal nights and the majority of our friends agree but we also have friends who don't, who will win out in the end? the latter I fear!  Hopefully by then I will be either too old or the money will have run out!

TWS

Lincoln

We are taking our grandsons age 17and 15 on a cruise in August, not the first cruise for them, both are looking forward to Grandad buying them a dinner jacket, they like the dressing up.

so maybe tomorrow generations of cruisers will want formal dress code, both boys have strict uniform policy at school, so are used to that discipline.

On 07/05/2017 at 7:06 PM, Jenjen said:

It's very nice to know that some people still enjoy dressing for dinner. 

In a recent cruise on theOriana it appeared quite a few ladies still wore cocktail dresses and the gentlemen shirt and jacket. 

On 14/05/2017 at 1:07 PM, Jenjen said:

We are taking our grandsons age 17and 15 on a cruise in August, not the first cruise for them, both are looking forward to Grandad buying them a dinner jacket, they like the dressing up.

so maybe tomorrow generations of cruisers will want formal dress code, both boys have strict uniform policy at school, so are used to that discipline.

How wonderful. You are so lucky to be able to this. B&M hope you have a fantastic cruise. Its so very very nice th know some younger cruisers are wanting to embrace the true meaning and enjoyment of cruising!

11 minutes ago, David meyrick said:

My wife and I like both the formal and casual evenings for dinner .  The  wearing of shorts for evening dinner should remain a no, no.

David

Agree entirely. If people prefer to dress casually each evening then they should choose a cruise where this dress code is applicable and folk who like the old ambiance of formal evenings go on a cruise where formal wear is applicable. Problem solved!

As someone new to cruising, with only one under our belt, I fail to understand why companies which still promote formal nights cannot accommodate formal and smart casual in separate facilities on those occasions.  My wife and I are averse to the formality of these nights on the basis that we are on holiday to unwind and relax but respect the wishes of those who enjoy the formality.  On P&O's Ventura, we used the cafeteria on formal evenings (as did very many other people) but it would have been preferable to have the option of one restaurant and bar at least.  I'd like to point out that we would never dream of dining in anything less than smart casual, so are certainly not supporters of shorts and swimwear!

We have booked a Christmas cruise, but the one disappointment for us is that Christmas Day is likely to be formal. If there's one day when one should be able to relax without formality, then surely that is it.

I am not too bothered about formal nights and am quite happy with smart casual. However, what I enjoy more is the dining experience in the dining rooms. Five course meals served individually, wine poured by the wine waiter and interesting conversation with fellow passengars is worth more to me than formal attire.