Sign in to follow this  
doratheexplorer

MSC from Southampton, good idea or leave well alone?

I’m looking at cruises for next year and I read that MSC have got a ship based in Southampton. I’ve seen a few of their ships before when I’ve been in the Med but I’ve never cruised with them. The ships look pristine and their itineraries are nice enough. They’re also going all-inclusive on quite a few cruises next year so they do appeal to me. What puts me off is comments I’ve heard in the past. I was once told “don’t go with them, you’ll hate it. It’s nowhere near as good as P&O and Royal Caribbean.” I’ve sailed with those two lines before and I’ve enjoyed them both but the MSC dates fit well, the prices are good and I am tempted. Has anyone cruised with them before that can offer me some advice? Should I heed the warning or put it to the back of my mind and try them?

I have read rave reviews about and there prices are looking good.

They honour your loyalty points from other cruise companies ,so I would give it a go ,(Looking Myself for next year)   they will be different from other lines and may even be better....Davybe 

I would recommend MSC - I went on the Fantasia in Barcelona. It was several years ago now though but the ship was lovely. There was a mixture of nationalities onboard. The food,service and atmosphere was all good.

I know they do offer very good prices and 3/4th passengers are normally very cheap. The drinks packages are good value for money also.

I would give it a go.

Some of their prices at the moment are exceptional, especially when you consider what's included. The fact that they honour your loyalty points from other brands too is incredible and a fine USP. 

Having said that, I do share your concerns dora. I find that their is a perception of MSC as being slightly below the lines you mentioned and up until now, I do believe this has been the case. I'm saying that just from hear say though, without experiencing them for myself so it's a little unfair of me to comment negatively on them. What I will say is that their new ships look stunning and their ad campaigns, especially online, have been excellent in drawing attention to their positives and have gone some distance to re-creating a new image for themselves.

19 hours ago, Davybe said:

I have read rave reviews about and there prices are looking good.

They honour your loyalty points from other cruise companies ,so I would give it a go ,(Looking Myself for next year)   they will be different from other lines and may even be better....Davybe 

Go for it you have to try it to decide your self. I would not hesitate.

The Matching status points is not automatic, you have to fill out the relevant forms here all can be done over the www

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/MSC-Voyagers-Club/MSCCruises-Status-Match.aspx

Edited by pennbank

Hi Doratheexplorer

Its a great subject for a topic on here, as I have been looking on their website only a few days ago.

They have a new ship ready soon and so theres lots to read about them.

I am definately going to make a booking on one of the ships. My friend has recently been with them and she says its a right load of rubbish what people say about MSC. Their shows/entertainment are much better than she expected and the food was superb.  And all inclusive is £20 per day how good is that??

Get yaself on B)

I fully appreciate your hesitation dora as I was the same recently when booking my next cruise. I do think you should go for it though. If you've seen a cruise you like with them then I would give it a try.

I've seen MSC in the limelight a lot lately and their ships do look impressive. I would advise to try and ignore what has been said in the past and make up your own mind by giving them a try.

Edited by CJW

Hi  The only way you will find out whether MSC is to your tastes is to try this line for yourself.   Just read the reviews especially the professional compiled ones to see whether the ambience is likely to be to your liking.  I did look up the price of a specific cruise with this company for a single cruiser and found that the cost was more expensive than a similar itinerary offered by Azamara cruise lines (this was a fly cruise rather than a UK departure, Southampton is not a great departure port for those like myself who live in the north)  so I will not be booking with MSC.

Edited by Land Ahoy

I would love to try an msc. I have only read reviews like this on the ships but a friend of mine has been and they loved it! the ships are very nice and apparently they do a good drinks package! unless you travel with them you don't know how good they are!

If you've found a deal that suits you, then I would definitely say give it a try. As others have mentioned above, you never know how good a cruise line is until you've tried them. MSC Cruises do seem to be very up and coming at the minute, I think this is mainly down to the new ships they are launching and it's drawing posistive attention.

Having been on several MSC ships I would say to anybody thinking of going to go with an open mind  and not try to judge them against other cruise lines..they are most certainly different.

Very blingy in the decor and their idea of stage shows might not be to everybody's taste but the rest of the experience is excellent.

I sailed from European ports so the mix of passengers was more Continental and I loved it.

There's only really one way to find out for yourself and that's to give it a try..I don't think you'll be disappointed and at the prices currently quoted an excellent bargain.

Personally I have never tried them but my Aunty who normally travels P&O went with a group of her friends as the itinerary was better than P&O and she raved about them . She went with an open mind as the prices were very good and she was really surprised when she got onboard she said the ships facilities were good the balcony was larger than expected and the food was very good even in the buffet. From what I have seen of up and coming new ships I think they have upped their game.  Go for it

We have booked Magnifica sailing from Southampton in Oct 18. Never tried MSC before but the prices were so good we thought we will give them a try. Our third passenger is included with the free drinks package which is unusual, it is normally only first two passengers on other cruise lines. 

I am going on Splendida on the 1st June from Valencia round the med and back to Valencia as this is our first cruise we didn't want to spend a fortune or a long cruise so my experience will be an interesting one to report back on

I have done over 10 cruises with Royal Caribbean, and 4 with P&O, All seemed good at the time. However I have now booked my third with MSC and am delighted at the change. Ships are very impressive and the much awaited new ships look great. The big difference is that they seem to appreciate your custom and loyalty. This is definitely not true of RCI. they are getting very expensive, and I don't think they are worth it. My diamond card on RCI gets me a stupid booklet to entice me to spend money to save a percentage. On MSC i feel a real benefit. 

1 minute ago, shiny49 said:

I have done over 10 cruises with Royal Caribbean, and 4 with P&O, All seemed good at the time. However I have now booked my third with MSC and am delighted at the change. Ships are very impressive and the much awaited new ships look great. The big difference is that they seem to appreciate your custom and loyalty. This is definitely not true of RCI. they are getting very expensive, and I don't think they are worth it. My diamond card on RCI gets me a stupid booklet to entice me to spend money to save a percentage. On MSC i feel a real benefit. 

Be fair shiny49, Diamond also gets you free drinks in the Diamond Club, cabin upgrades, behind the scene tours and other benefits.

We've been with MSC four times, on Lirica and Musica in the Middle East and the Med and most recently on Fantasia in the Middle East this January. We've also been several times with Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and in our experience the US based cruise lines seem to be offering less and less for more money whilst the opposite is true of MSC. We love the more European mix of passengers, the standard of service is excellent, the cocktails are loads better than the other cruise lines (drinks packages are superb value too) and the food is very good (the pizzas on the buffet are to die for!!) If you've found an itinerary you like, go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed.