Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Born Free

ASIA FAR EAST CRUISE - HELP/ADVICE NEEDED!

9 posts in this topic

I have booked to go on a cruise and stay package in December with the Mariner of the Seas from Singapore - I'm slightly concerned that the entire sailing may just be of Asian Nationalities and being two british ladies i'm worried we'll have a bad experience?

We've booked MYTime dining however, i do like the set dining but think this may be the best option?

Has anybody sailed on anything similar before around the Far East and may have any top tips for us?

We sailed out of Singapore on two cruises, B2B last year.  We were on Celebrity, but I wouldn't expect RCI to be too different.  The majority of passengers were Australian and American, with a few Canadian and British as well.  There were some Asians, but they were definitely a minority.  I  know that Quantum of the Seas out of Shanghai is marketed to the Chinese.  We are taking one of those cruises later this year and we are expecting a very different experience.

Singapore is a very interesting city, safe and easy to navigate.  I hope you are spending some time there before or after your cruise.  We were there for six days and could have spent much longer.  I hope we will be able to return in the future.

Born Free likes this

14 hours ago, smtcan said:

We sailed out of Singapore on two cruises, B2B last year.  We were on Celebrity, but I wouldn't expect RCI to be too different.  The majority of passengers were Australian and American, with a few Canadian and British as well.  There were some Asians, but they were definitely a minority.  I  know that Quantum of the Seas out of Shanghai is marketed to the Chinese.  We are taking one of those cruises later this year and we are expecting a very different experience.

Singapore is a very interesting city, safe and easy to navigate.  I hope you are spending some time there before or after your cruise.  We were there for six days and could have spent much longer.  I hope we will be able to return in the future.

Thank you so much smtcan for your feedback!

This has put my mind at peace a little bit, i hope we do get Aussies and Americans due to the language barrier!

Any top tips for singapore we are doing 5 days!

I can only speak from experience Born Free but my round trip from Singapore was the total opposite, our cruise was mainly American Australian British & German with a sprinkling of Mexican. It was one of the best journeys ever so go for it

Born Free likes this

20 minutes ago, cruise chef said:

I can only speak from experience Born Free but my round trip from Singapore was the total opposite, our cruise was mainly American Australian British & German with a sprinkling of Mexican. It was one of the best journeys ever so go for it

Wow this sounds so good! I'm so excited any recommendations for SIngapore?

What cruise line did you do?

We tend to think of Singapore as our closest and most accessible Port, thus we have embarked or disembarked from it many times over.

Whilst you mention Singapore as your departure port, but not any departure date, or arrival port either, it is very difficult  to track the ships likely routeing, using regular online cruising websites .

At a guess, if you are departing and likewise arriving back into Singapore again, the chances are that you might encounter perhaps more Asian people, (given it is within their region surely), but if arriving into Hong Kong, Australian Ports,  or other places generally headed West, then you will more likely find a more truly international clientele on board.  

Asian people are by nature of courteous behaviour to ladies from anywhere in the world.

If you have not visited Singapore before, please make sure you have plenty of light cotton clothing with you, as it is a very humid climate all year round.

Whilst not a cruising Almanac for the region, we are more than happy to attempt to answer your concerns and queries, prior to your adventure.

Peter.

7 hours ago, Born Free said:

This has put my mind at peace a little bit, i hope we do get Aussies and Americans due to the language barrier!

Public transit is easy to use.  We stayed at Clarke Quay and travelled around the city independently.  An expensive Singapore Sling in Raffles is a must, although you can walk into the hotel without buying a drink.  We visited China Town and also took a bum boat from Clarke Quay to Merlion Park - great fun, although  the laser light show there was somewhat underwhelming.  We were very impressed with Original Singapore Walks.  We didn't discover them until our last day, otherwise we would have taken several of their tours.  Check their web site for details.  We took the Singapore in WW2 tour, which was a bus tour not a walk, and it was very informative.  We met a couple who had taken three different tours with the company and they said all were wonderful.

Sheila

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, Born Free said:

Hi  try the Hop On Hop Off bus to cover a lot of the sights and then go back to spend more time at those you like the look of.

However, the Gardens on the Bay are lovely to spend half a day at as is the Botanical Gardens but they are at opposite sides of the city to each other.  The flyer is also amazing.  If you get the chance try the Night Zoo, they take you around the zoo in trams and then you get to wander at your leisure, you see all the nocturnal animals waking up, this is one of the most recommended tours.  Finish off with your Singapore Sling at Raffles.

Born Free likes this

We travelled on Crystal it was a round trip from Singapore taking in various ports in Malaysia & Burma. In Singapore as others have already said a visit to Raffles is interesting. One thing not usually mentioned is the light show at the Marina complex in the evening. Also a trip to Singapore zoo again either at night or 1st thing in the morning to have breakfast with the Orangutans. If you are splashing out then maybe a stay at Marina Bay Sands could be a great idea.