graphostar

Solo Travelling on P&O's Ventura

Hi All Solo Travellers

My mum and I cruise together, as solos, if you know what I mean but have never fancied going to the early morning coffee get-togethers for several reasons really. So when we were on board The Ventura recently we mentioned that we would prefer to meet fellow solos for a pre-dinner drink now and again. The night before we were due to disembark we were told that the idea had been well received and that they were going to give it a try very soon. So, I would love to hear if anyone has seen these events advertised or even better, actually been to one. I won't be back on Ventura for a while unfortunately so I'm depending on my fellow solos out there to report back. Would love just to hear what you think of the idea as well. It just shows you though that P&O do listen to their passengers.

I shall be travelling solo with my daughter and her husband on Ventura next week. In order to give them time on their own I shall be looking out for some solos events. I do not attend the morning get togethers mainly because I'm not a morning person. A pre-dinner drink would suit me better, I'll look out for that.

RayO

As a first time solo traveller last August I was put on a table for eight with an adult family of four and three others solos. It worked out very well. This was on Princess btw.

RayO

Hi  As already stated Fred Olsen organise a single s get together early in the cruise, this also the case with Azamara.   On the NCL vessels which have single only studio cabins, solo passengers have access to a singles only lounge where you meet fellow passengers along with a host who will arrange  group dining arrangements and theatre entrances for those who wish to participate. 

I agree that this is a good idea but I do think there are some practical difficulties.  Firstly, there are two dinner sittings, so what time would you have the drinks?  Secondly, the coffee mornings are hosted by Ents Officers.  This might be difficult in the evening when there are more things going on that they might need to attend.  They could try a non-hosted pre-dinner drinks but if it were split over two dinner sittings, it would depend on how many solos were on board the cruise.  They would also have to be very specific about where to meet, for instance, at the bar in such & such a place.

I think P&O generally seat solo pax together on tables in the main dining rooms - that has certainly been my experience - and often you can then arrange to meet for pre-dinner drinks anyway.  You can always ask to be seated with other solo pax when you make a booking.

Thanks for your reply afcandrew......I was thinking of a more informal non-hosted event. Say, a ' drop-in' meeting time of any time between 5.00 pm and 8.00 pm to cover both sittings at a specified bar and perhaps different bars on different evenings.

I didn't realise you could ask to be seated with other solos for dinner so perhaps Bolsover should be asking this question routinely as part of their solos booking procedure?  So thanks for the 'heads up' on that one!

Hi  I have already replied to your question but I will add some further information for NCL studio cabin guests (solos) the single lounges has a bar which  is opened for a limited time  (6:00 to 8:00pm) although soft drinks and hot beverages are available outside these hours.  In addition there is no single supplement payable for this type of accommodation but they are a little more expensive than for similar inside cabins per person for two sharing.   Most cruise lines with "fixed dining" will seat singles together without this being requested.  If you book freedom dining you can ask to seated on a large table and meet other fellow guests.

If you met up at a solo coffee morning arranged by the ent staff, couldnt you then speak to eachother to meet up in the evenings anyway?  At least then you would know that some people are interested in actually meeting up.

Sorry for being presumptious, but I thought thats why you had meetings at the begining, so you could meet like minded solo travellers???

On 07/05/2017 at 11:14 AM, graphostar said:

Hi All Solo Travellers

My mum and I cruise together, as solos, if you know what I mean but have never fancied going to the early morning coffee get-togethers for several reasons really. So when we were on board The Ventura recently we mentioned that we would prefer to meet fellow solos for a pre-dinner drink now and again. The night before we were due to disembark we were told that the idea had been well received and that they were going to give it a try very soon. So, I would love to hear if anyone has seen these events advertised or even better, actually been to one. I won't be back on Ventura for a while unfortunately so I'm depending on my fellow solos out there to report back. Would love just to hear what you think of the idea as well. It just shows you though that P&O do listen to their passengers.

I have done three cruises on Ventura in the last 15 months and have another booked for this November. I found the coffee mornings very useful and have met lots of solo travellers like myself (widowed 2years ago) Last November it was very popular and most also took advantage of the tables set aside for afternoon tea and everyone got on well, to the  point that I am meeting up with one such friend on my next cruise.

As to pre-dinner drinks, I was on a table of seven all solo travellers, we all at some time met for pre-dinner drinks at some stage, me and two others every night!

I think it is up to us to be more proactive and not rely on the entertainment team to hold our hands an organise everything for us.

HI cruiser 66.....as a new solo cruiser, I'm just finding my feet so wasn't aware of tables being set aside for solos at afternoon tea for a start. Nor was I offered the chance of dining with other solos so I was finding it difficult to find other solos to chat to. I don't think asking the entertainment staff to put on a few unhosted pre-diinner drinks meeting times is particularly passive - I personally would rather chat then than over a coffee at 10.00 am. It's a matter of choice isn't it? And if I'm not advised on solo dining options, then how am I to know about them?  I understand the coffee mornings are very popular for a lot of people but they don't suit everyone - I'm just suggesting an alternative, that's all.

Just returned from my Ventura cruise and there were no arranged evening drinks for solos, just the morning coffee and afternoon tea as noted before.

Also, much to my tables annoyance, they were trying out 1930 and 2100 shows rather than 2100 and 2230 shows. Everything seemed to be geared to first sitting and early diners, even the syndicate quiz was moved from 2245 to 2230, which may not seem a lot but was never put back when dinner was at 2045 rather than 2030. The cruise after ours reverted to the latter format.

Very little show wise after dinner for us to do. We couldn't get in to see a couple of acts as they were put on in Havana at 2100 and 2230 rather than the theatre and were packed when we finished dinner.

RayO

I have only been on three cruises as a solo but there has never been arranged drinks in the evening.  Like others have said, I have often arranged to meet tablemates for a pre-dinner tipple.

Sorry to hear about the show times.  I am just back from Aurora and all Curzon Theatre shows were at 8.30 an 10.30 as normal.  There were other shows staged in Carmen's show lounge at 7.30 and 9.30, which seems quite a good idea to me.

On 07/05/2017 at 11:14 AM, graphostar said:

Hi All Solo Travellers

On one of our P&O cruises me and my sister had just turned 18 and 20 and obviously too old for the childrens clubs we asked for a 18-30 meet to be arranged, they did this the following night and just put it in the program, so I am not sure why they could not arrange a solo pre dinner meet in one of the bars, they just set us up in the club with one of the entertainment staff and we met quite a few people.

Thanks for getting back to me Ray0  - seems they were just paying lip service to the idea of pre-dinner drinks then! And what on earth were they thinking about with the show times! I'm sure you had a great cruise anyway though...:)