Emmone

Sailing from Newcastle

Can anyone help? Our cruise leaves from the Port of Tyne which I think is not in Newcastle itself. Is it better to stay in Newcastle and travel to the port in a taxi or book a hotel near the port (travelling direct from the train station)?  Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by Emmone
Typo

Hi   I live in Newcastle and there is a Premier Inn very near the cruise terminal in North Shields.  Next to the hotel there is an outlet retail park (The Royal Quays) and as well as restaurants.  In spite of the convenience of being next to the cruise terminal I would consider staying overnight in city of Newcastle and enjoy the nightlife in the vibrant centre city, it was voted by the Rough Guide as the second best party city in the world!  There is a wide range of hotels covering all pockets.   The pubs, clubs, restaurants, shopping, cinemas, theatres and music venues are all assessible.  If you wish to check out the Theatre Royal (Newcastle) and the Sage (Gateshead) websites you may find some performances to may wish to see before your cruise.

Edited by Land Ahoy

I dont live in Newcastle but my family live there and travel here several times a year. I have stayed in the Premier Inn next to the Royal Quays and although very accessible to the port not a lot going on in the evening. If you want to stay there and not stay in Newcastle you could maybe go into Tynemouth which is not far by car it is quite low key but there are some nice quiet restaurants but the coastline there is lovely with a couple of nice beaches.

I dont live in Newcastle but my family live there and travel here several times a year. I have stayed in the Premier Inn next to the Royal Quays and although very accessible to the port not a lot going on in the evening. If you want to stay there and not stay in Newcastle you could maybe go into Tynemouth which is not far by car it is quite low key but there are some nice quiet restaurants but the coastline there is lovely with a couple of nice beaches.

Thanks for all the advice. We have decided to stay in Newcastle.  We were thinking of either the Royal Station Hotel as we will be travelling in on the train and will have our luggage with us so don't want to be dragging that any distance.  The alternatives are Holiday Inn Express or Jurys. Any opinions?

i  I understand your reluctance to carry your luggage any great distance and the Royal Station Hotel sounds a reasonable idea, the nearest taxi rank for the onward journey to the port is immediately in front of the central station.  The hotel is convenient for you to walk to all the places of interest: the bars, restaurants and theatre on Grey Street as well as the Quayside for the views of the bridges and the Sage music venue.  An alternative hotel you may wish to consider is the Hilton in Gateshead on the banks of the Tyne (it's about a 5 minute taxi ride outside peak travel times).  If you book a room on the river side  you will get great views of the bridges and the Newcastle skyline

Edited by Land Ahoy

OMG a Hilton in Gateshead.   I was born in County Durham (dad was a miner, moved to Nottingham in 1969).  My husband's grandparents lived in Gateshead - I guess it must have changed a lot.    The beaches at South Shields used to be beautiful, but we haven't been there for about 25 years - happy days.