Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cruise chef

Travel to China would you River Cruise or go for a land based tour?

6 posts in this topic

I really want to see the major sites in China but wondered if fellow forum members could advise if it would be better to do a River cruise down the Yangtze river or travel by land and fly to the major venues, any help would be appreciated

We went to China two years ago on a tour that included the major cities, Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and also a four day river cruise.  We enjoyed the cruise, but it wasn't by any means the highlight of the trip and four days was long enough.  We explored several options, ocean cruise, river cruise and land tour and settled on the one that ticked all the boxes for us.  Flying from city to city was easy and quick and in 20 days we saw the Great Wall, Terracotta Warriors, the Forbidden City, pandas in Chongqing, and almost all the sights we wanted.  We missed the water towns around Shanghai, so we are going back there for a short independent visit before a cruise to Japan later this year.

Hope this helps

Sheila

Due to the distance in travelling I would want to look at combining the two, after being lucky enough last year to experience a River Cruise I believe it would be a perfect way to take in some of the areas more off the tourist map, that would not be as easy to reach by land alone.

Hi cruise chef,

China is such a huge country and the interesting areas so wide spread and diverse, I fail to see how you could possibly do it justice solely on a river cruise.

We visited in Autumn 2007 on a land tour with Collette Travel, an American organisation.  It involved 5 internal flights and included a few days on a Yangtze cruise.  Can't give you more details at the moment as I am in deepest, darkest Denmark but, if you're still interested, I could look up more details when we return at the end of the month.

DavidH

River cruise as you get into the smaller ports for a more richer and unique culture experience!! This is somthing that I would love to do.