Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Belfast and the Titanic museum

I grew up in Northern Ireland. I would give both of those a miss and head to Strangford Lough and see Northern Ireland at its best. If the boat doesn't do a trip there, hire a car and go. The Causeway is full of tourists and not what the publicity photos really show (armies of tourists). The museum is ok, but if you want to reflect on REAL Northern Ireland then the boat won't show you that...sadly. Cathedral Quarter is nicely presented (Belfast) and on a sunny day (rare) you could be anywhere but Belfast! In short, skip the tours.....full of tourists, visit Strangford and meet the real people!

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, Yiddish Boy said:

I grew up in Northern Ireland. I would give both of those a miss and head to Strangford Lough and see Northern Ireland at its best. If the boat doesn't do a trip there, hire a car and go. The Causeway is full of tourists and not what the publicity photos really show (armies of tourists). The museum is ok, but if you want to reflect on REAL Northern Ireland then the boat won't show you that...sadly. Cathedral Quarter is nicely presented (Belfast) and on a sunny day (rare) you could be anywhere but Belfast! In short, skip the tours.....full of tourists, visit Strangford and meet the real people!

We visited Titanic Belfast last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the crowds, although to others of course, that's what we would have been a part of too?

It's always good to get a local view and recommendations, so if visiting again, I shall attempt to re find this post once again.

Many Thanks for your valuable insights.

Peter.

Travelled to Belfast a couple of times now, I've tried the tour which covers the Distillery and the Causeway a long day but well worth it, if you like everything to do with cruising then the Titanic Museum is worth a visit but failing that I would do the bus or taxi tour around Belfast which give a great insight into the city (the present and its troubled past - although some taxis will have a biased view depending on which political side of the fence they come from)

I have just come back from Belfast and would say the Titainic is worth a visit, I enjoyed it.

Yes, it is a bit touristy but it's full of really intresting things espcially with it being on the old ship yard!!

It cost about £6.00 each way in a taxi from the port and around £18 I think for entry- much cheaper than the ships excursion cost at $89 each!!!

3 hours ago, Mermaid Jessica said:

ourI have just come back from Belfast and would say the Titainic is worth a visit, I enjoyed it.

Yes, it is a bit touristy but it's full of really intresting things espcially with it being on the old ship yard!!

It cost about £6.00 each way in a taxi from the port and around £18 I think for entry- much cheaper than the ships excursion cost at $89 each!!!

Agreed!

Being relatively late bookers on our cruise, we booked the Cunard Fare to secure a decent cabin, thus we had 'free?' and immediate access to the next shuttle bus from the ship, which took us to the heart of Belfast, dropping us  off outside the main Tourist Office. Perfect!

We also had 'Touristic' tea towels' from 'Glasgow' to send back home, and the guys and girls inside the Tourist office were happy to direct us to the Post Office, that was also coincidentally on the way to 'Titanic Belfast' too!

We'd booked online beforehand, so saved ourselves the long queues. So, we spent almost all of our day quite happily on foot, give or take the odd coffee  and facilities break and the necessary lunch 'Pit stop' too. 

Generally speaking the weather was kind, but it started clouding over mid afternoon so we turned back from the Cathedral halfway there and still whilst on foot, and legged it back to the Tourist Office, and shuttle bus pick up point again. Great day out and not 'cruise line' expensive either

Nevertheless, Strangford Lough will be on my agenda at another time. Thanks again  for that one, YKW ?

Peter.  

Edited by HALaP&O

Not a bad place.....Our family moved to Ireland just before the war (second world war) from Europe. There are some beautiful places around the North which, now "The Troubles" are over, are being rediscovered.  County Donegal remains in my heart to this day (family holidays there as a child) and Antrim is lovely too. Went back a few years ago and was nicely surprised how Belfast has changed...for the good. There is a quaint Jewish population in Ireland (which we were part of) which many people don't know about. As a child I was once asked...."So are you a Catholic Jew or a Protestant Jew?"...only in Ireland!!!!!!!!:)  

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:08 AM, Yiddish Boy said:

For you HAL :)

ff0158c2594917cd6a9c4e297e8a8d7c_XL.jpg

Strangford Lough (c) NIEA.JPG

bg-home3.jpg

Thank You Very Much Yiddish Boy.

My type of place!

I'm not just about Cruising and Cruise ships, I'm into all types of craft and have been lucky enough to have co-owned (sequentially) 2 Boats on River Thames and likewise a small Motor Yacht based in France and later in Greece (Ionian).

So I can look at Boats and Water all day long, and frequently do. Thanks again!

Peter.