Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Not treated well ??

I found this couples story most upsetting.

Be Warned the pictures in the link may upset some people. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4505366/Grandmother-kicked-cruise-having-panic-attack.html

Their treatment by Regent Cruise leaves a lot to be desired ,and the Hospital must have been a living hell.

Just shows the need for good insurance ,and perhaps more importantly knowing when it's time to stay close to home ,not go globe trotting as we get frailer.

Hope She pick's up but sadly    Dementia is a one way trip....Davybe

On the face of it it sounds horrendous, however I reserve judgement until all the facts have been published.

Clearly the cruiseline are aware of other things but for obvious reasons won't comment.

Dementia is a horrible condition, I do wonder if it was wise in the first place to travel knowing her condition, more especially on a cruise.

HLM. 

58 minutes ago, HLM said:

On the face of it it sounds horrendous, however I reserve judgement until all the facts have been published.

Clearly the cruiseline are aware of other things but for obvious reasons won't comment.

Dementia is a horrible condition, I do wonder if it was wise in the first place to travel knowing her condition, more especially on a cruise.

HLM. 

I have seen quite a few dementia sufferers on Celebrity ships, in the USA they give them some drug which puts them in a Zombie trance of some sort ,Just fail to see the sense in flying over with your wife who will not remember the cruise ....Davybe

11 minutes ago, angel said:

i dont think we are getting the full story here.

its the daily mail, of course we wont be lol, havnt even bothered to read it as it will just be attention grabbing one liners with no facts

2 hours ago, Furby said:

its the daily mail, of course we wont be lol, havnt even bothered to read it as it will just be attention grabbing one liners with no facts

How Do you know if you haven't read it ,You Physic....Davybe:wacko: 

I have not read the article in question and would not trust them to report anything after having read one of their regular attacks on P&O cruises sometime in the past and the article was placed with a photograph of a P&O ferry. Poor and biased reported and the only thing I would believe in the Daily Whail is the date.

I read the article and I too am a  little dubious as to whether we have all the facts. On our very first cruise which was a 21 day Caribbean cruise, there was a lady suffering from dementia. Her elderly  husband used a scooter which he would leave blocking the corridor, which of course you were allowed to do then.  I thought at the time that it wasn’t good from a safety point of view. On several occasions his wife wandered off and he would be in a panic racing up and down on his scooter looking for her. We did help with the search whenever that happened. I used to feel sorry for the cabin steward as I saw the state of their mini-suite whenever I passed. While I had a lot of sympathy for the couple as they had cruised for years and this was to be their last cruise, I really don’t think it was a wise decision. It was a very stressful and worrying cruise for them both.

Awful situation for all concerned, but as fellow forum members have commented it is possible we are not in receipt of the full facts. Did the couple advise the ship prior of any medical ailment as we are all usually advised to do so. Sorry for the couple that the holiday had to end so badly!!!

It does seem like a sad situation but like others I wonder if we have heard the whole story.  When my husband was taken off a HAL ship to a hospital in Shanghai the port agent met us at the hospital and gave us some minor assistance, but the main help came from our insurance company.  Before we docked, the ship let me call our son in UK and our insurance company and I really didn't expect a lot more from them.  The care we received from the insurance company was excellent.  They arranged accommodation for me, although I ended up staying at the hospital.  They called every day and when C was discharged they transported us to a hotel where we stayed fora week, then sent a doctor to accompany us on the flight home.  If I had been incapacitated they would have paid for our son to fly out, but he paid his own way.

I don't think it is the responsibility of the ship to care for sick passengers beyond getting them to a hospital.  I wonder if these passengers had full insurance.  If she was suffering from an uninsured pre existing condition they were very unwise to travel.

19 hours ago, tigerlilly said:

i think there must be a lot of information missing from this!! Regent wouldnt have asked them to leave the ship for no reasonable reason

Apparently they took advice from Head office before offloading?...Davybe

12 hours ago, smtcan said:

It does seem like a sad situation but like others I wonder if we have heard the whole story.  When my husband was taken off a HAL ship to a hospital in Shanghai the port agent met us at the hospital and gave us some minor assistance, but the main help came from our insurance company.  Before we docked, the ship let me call our son in UK and our insurance company and I really didn't expect a lot more from them.  The care we received from the insurance company was excellent.  They arranged accommodation for me, although I ended up staying at the hospital.  They called every day and when C was discharged they transported us to a hotel where we stayed fora week, then sent a doctor to accompany us on the flight home.  If I had been incapacitated they would have paid for our son to fly out, but he paid his own way.

I don't think it is the responsibility of the ship to care for sick passengers beyond getting them to a hospital.  I wonder if these passengers had full insurance.  If she was suffering from an uninsured pre existing condition they were very unwise to travel.

Regent claimed to have contacted their insurers ,and the Port Agent  ,whether the agent failed to help as they should  ,but they apparently had trouble conversing in the hospital .The Lady is now in hospital over here ,their insures  flew here back by Air Ambulance.

Wonder who took the pictures and was it by Camera or phone?

UK insures are not noted for being keen to pay the bill ,quick to take the premiums though...Davybe

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

Apparently they took advice from Head office before offloading?...Davybe

exactly. 24 hours before the end of the sailing if I have read this correctly? Therefore I believe there must be a lot more to it for Regent to go as far as offloading them. They are being professional and respectful by not airing all the details imo

Being from a medical background, I would say that so much information is being left out, from the view point of how the time prior to the night terror was, in the article the husband said she had, had panic attack befor, was the responsibility more than the husband could cope with?

Sometimes I think it's time to hang up the passport, and stay near to home soil, should you need help, friends and family are close so can support you and yours.

A cruise ship is not a floating clinic, and does have to stick to a shedule off loading is always a last resort.

On 5/16/2017 at 3:11 PM, Jenjen said:

Being from a medical background, I would say that so much information is being left out, from the view point of how the time prior to the night terror was, in the article the husband said she had, had panic attack befor, was the responsibility more than the husband could cope with?

Sometimes I think it's time to hang up the passport, and stay near to home soil, should you need help, friends and family are close so can support you and yours.

A cruise ship is not a floating clinic, and does have to stick to a shedule off loading is always a last resort.

I agree jenjen regarding when it's time to hang up the passport(And Driving Licence) 

As my Daughter found out the medical facilities on the ships claim to be first class, They thought my Grandson had fractured his arm ,he spent most of the holiday  in a sking ,our local hospital found no sign's of a fracture...Davybe