MG16

Duplicate payments

41 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Why are people blaming Bolsover or indeed any other agent ok your contract might be with the booking agent but they merely make the payment on your behalf how that payment is then dealt with by Carnival/Third Party/Bank is then out of their control so how can they be responsible they are not the ones who have held your personal details on file for 4 months +.

I am more concerned to discover my details are given to a third party without my knowledge as I was always under the impression I pay for something and that payment goes straight to my bank/credit card company via the retailer not via a third party, I would guess a lot of other people think the same.

I don't believe for a minute that this is a practice used only by Carnival there are probably dozens of these clearing centres in the UK and every time we use our cards that centre has our details ... frightening isn't it because we have no idea !!! 

Every card payment is handled by a 3rd party, these go through clearing banks/companies.  Not just travel agents but all purchases

Just proves to me that many people use their credit/debit cards willingly and regularly with many companies without knowing what really goes on whether you purchase online or in shop most major companies use a third party collection company to collect payments on their behalf.

14 hours ago, jacka said:

I am very unclear on the information given to you by Bolsover. I have had several duplicate payments taken, the originals being spread over a period of time. In total I have made 7 separate payments through Bolsover to P&O during the period of time in question. Not all are affected, but several are.  Therefor information from the original payments must have been retained.

They explained that it was a pre authorisition going through on the original authorisation however many months ago, not being asked for again, so no details being held.

57 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Just proves to me that many people use their credit/debit cards willingly and regularly with many companies without knowing what really goes on whether you purchase online or in shop most major companies use a third party collection company to collect payments on their behalf.

I would not hesitate to use my cards without knowing the ins and outs of how companies process payments, until this happened it was not a concern to find out how payments are processed, and after this it is still not a concern, payments have to be processed and however it is done its got to be done! Wont stop me from using my cards as I have always done, and I have never had any problems or worries.

I spoke to Bolsover this morning and they said that the problem only affected payments made in March 2017. For me this amounted to two payments, one for a final balance for a cruise on Aurora leaving in June 2017 and the other a deposit for a cruise on Ventura. In my case the other five payments that I have made from December 2016 until now are not affected.

I am currently awaiting for a call back from Bolsover who are dealing with the matter with P&O.

Several newspapers are reporting on this problem

jacka

I have just contacted Bolsover again. Despite promising to ring me back today I have received no phone call from them. The latest non information is that P&O have not got back to them with an update.

I have also contacted my bank and they have informed that they have not received any reversal requests for the two amounts of £3373 and £1353.  These amounts were posted to my account on the 19th May for transactions originally made in March 2017. Clearly P&O have not enacted any reversal process despite the email I received on the 20th May saying that this was enacted overnight of the 19th May. In addition, my  bank confirmed that they were not aware of this problem

jacka

Did your bank contact the 3rd party company that P&O have advised us of Jacka?

My friend who was affected has received hers back but my bank is taking up to 7 working days. Nightmare for everyone really. My Bank took the number for the 3rd party and said they will call them so will hopefully know more soon

1 hour ago, dancefloordemon said:

Did your bank contact the 3rd party company that P&O have advised us of Jacka?

My friend who was affected has received hers back but my bank is taking up to 7 working days. Nightmare for everyone really. My Bank took the number for the 3rd party and said they will call them so will hopefully know more soon

The answers is I assume not. In the email that I received from P&O it said quite clearly that the banks had been notified that this error had taken place. Plus the email said that my transactions had been reversed overnight. I bank with HSBC which is why I had assumed that they would have been notified. However, the bank told me that they would reverse the transaction immediately that they received such an instruction. Obviously the email from P&O was meant to keep its clients quiet and the seven working days is to allow the transaction processing company time to work through the backlog. In the meantime my account is effectively frozen. Fortunately, in the meantime, I can access other funds, but some people are in real difficulty.

9 hours ago, hturtle said:

You dont have a contract with Bolsover HLM so consumer advice have advised you wrong, when you book a cruise or a holiday you are read terms and conditions and explained you are booking a holiday under the terms and conditions of the operator and your contract is with that operator.  So in this case it is P&O, Cunard or Princess.  The Travel Agent is just that, an agent and acting on behalf of the principle.

I don't claim to be right or wrong, but I put the advice I was explained to the company providing the service to me directly and they put or right, therefore I can only make the assumption that the advice given by Consumer Advice was correct.

HLM.

Every card payment is handled by a 3rd party, these go through clearing banks/companies.  Not just travel agents but all purchases

I probably didn't explain very well what I meant, many years ago I worked for a well known Retailer and part of my job was to make sure the books balanced so I am aware from this that a third party was involved but we are talking about the days when cheques/paper credit card receipts were used so obviously a central point was needed to process the transactions and forward to the relevant banks, I suppose no different to today except now everything is electronic so I assumed ( obviously wrongly ) there was no longer the need for a 'middle man'

I probably didn't explain very well what I meant, many years ago I worked for a well known Retailer and part of my job was to make sure the books balanced so I am aware from this that a third party was involved but we are talking about the days when cheques/paper credit card receipts were used so obviously a central point was needed to process the transactions and forward to the relevant banks, I suppose no different to today except now everything is electronic so I assumed ( obviously wrongly ) there was no longer the need for a 'middle man'

Sorry I don't know what happened there .. I was trying to multi quote.

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

Hi Everyone

This situation goes from bad to worse. Until yesterday I had two amounts on pre authorisation £1353 and £3373., but nothing had been taken from my account. Having checked my online account this morning, I now find that the £3373 is debited. I have spoken to my bank and they say that they have had a notification of a reversal of the £1353, but and authorisation for the £3373. Complete and utter incompetence by P&O.

jacka 

I have had the same, my account has been pending an amount of £1500, however this has been taken today. I have phoned Bolsover who I booked through and they were very helpful, advising that P&O advised refunds will be back in my account in the next 7 working days. they couldn't apologize enough on P&O behalf, I know it isn't their fault or error and my bank are in contact with the elavon merchant services.

2 hours ago, gina1991 said:

I have had the same, my account has been pending an amount of £1500, however this has been taken today. I have phoned Bolsover who I booked through and they were very helpful, advising that P&O advised refunds will be back in my account in the next 7 working days. they couldn't apologize enough on P&O behalf, I know it isn't their fault or error and my bank are in contact with the elavon merchant services.

I hope you correct on this, but I have my doubts having spoken to my bank, Bolsover and the merchant processing the transactions. This morning when I spoke to the merchant they confirmed my two pre authorisations, but asked me if I knew if my bank had received a reversal of the amounts. They could not confirm that both amounts had been reversed. They asked me to give them my bank's fax number so that they could fax a reversal through to them. I told them to look it up after all it is the biggest bank in the world. Bolsover then called me to say that they had spoken to P&O and I was given the same message that you received, it can take up to 7 days, but again P&O could not confirm that a reversal had be sent to the bank. Clearly some amounts are being reversed but not others. I have now raised an "incorrect posting notice which I did not authorise" with my bank. The bank informed me that they will be back in contact with me within 48 hrs.

jacka

What an utter fiasco! money has been taken out of bank accounts and clients have to wait up to 7 days for refunds!

i understand the upset and worry this has caused however after what happened yesterday in Manchester it certainly puts things into perspective!!!!

Echo that sentiment Buddy there will be some families out their who wont now get the opportunity to holiday in far away shores.

On the other note a total farce/fiasco whichever way you look at it, I personally feel for all the poor travel agents and reservation staff having their ears chewed off by irate customers, the only people at fault (the third party card company) will no doubt bury their heads in the sand and let others sweep up the mess they have created.

I thought I would provide an update to my previous posts to assist others in the same situation. To recap, I had two pre authorisation transactions, one was reversed, the smaller amount of £1353 and one was debited to my account yesterday for £3373. My bank have confirmed twice that they have not received a reversal request for the £3373. Because I have raised a disputed transaction with the bank, they have agreed to refund my account within 48 hrs with a flag saying disputed transaction. The merchant (P&O) will then be given 32 days to provide evidence about what occurred and as to whether it is a duplicate transaction.  So fingers crossed that they don't request the money again.

I agree the Manchester situation does put things into perspective. I received a call from our son this morning to say that their neighbours and children were caught up in the events in Manchester at the concert. They are all ok

jacka

9 minutes ago, cruise chef said:

Echo that sentiment Buddy there will be some families out their who wont now get the opportunity to holiday in far away shores.

On the other note a total farce/fiasco whichever way you look at it, I personally feel for all the poor travel agents and reservation staff having their ears chewed off by irate customers, the only people at fault (the third party card company) will no doubt bury their heads in the sand and let others sweep up the mess they have created.

Couldn't agree more Cruise Chef.  It's always front line that get it in the neck & they've never normally had anything to do with the situtation

I must be one of the lucky ones I checked my HSBC account this morning and noticed £1888 had been taken out yesterday. Contacted HSBC by phone they put a dispute on the amount and credited me the amount back to my account until dispute sorted. Phoned Elavon straight after and was told they were very sorry they hoped everybody would be reimbursed in full by this Friday and by 4pm this afternoon Princess cruises reimbursed me the £1888 back to my account. Was told by Elavon that meetings are being held at the highest level to discuss compensation.

On 5/22/2017 at 8:35 PM, *Dancing Queen* said:

Sorry I don't know what happened there .. I was trying to multi quote.

I’ll be honest I too wasn’t aware payments went through a 3rd party. I pay everything with my debit card. Holidays, clothes etc paid for online with my debit card. My husband has been trying to get me to use Pay Pal for transactions online and I have been resisting as I hadn’t thought it necessary. Perhaps I should have a re-think.:unsure:

I may be on the wrong track here so apologies if I am. Has anyone else started to get phone calls from India. I have not answered them and have now blocked them but it still shows me how many times they have tried. Today I have had 12 attempts so far. I am worried as this all started a couple of days after the duplicate payment was taken.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:20 AM, Davybe said:

Well done just about to post the same thing .

A friend called me this morning someone she knows got £1800 taken from her Account leaving her short of money, Not really her week as HMR have just landed her with a big tax bill  ?

P&O have suggested people contact there banks  who will offer no help...Davybe

Just  to update.

The lady got her money back on Friday  so hopefully you will all see the money back in your accounts...Davybe 

On 5/27/2017 at 6:04 PM, snettles said:

I may be on the wrong track here so apologies if I am. Has anyone else started to get phone calls from India. I have not answered them and have now blocked them but it still shows me how many times they have tried. Today I have had 12 attempts so far. I am worried as this all started a couple of days after the duplicate payment was taken.

It does make you wonder how they get our numbers and the info from?

Nearly made a huge mistake when I Got A call  and this Indian voice started ,I was just about to tell where to go when he said he was a doctor and could he speak to my wife?? We let any calls we have recognised the number go to answer and see if they leave message...Davybe