Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Scrapping Tuition fees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39994886

After the Tory's produced the shortest suicide not in political history?

Labour today smelling victory announce they will scrap tuition fees  for students starting this year. Costing around £8b give or take a few Billion, paid for by raising Taxes on the top earners by "Just a Little Bit" and increasing Corporation tax.

This is most blatant bit of gerrymandering  I have seen in a long time  ?Will they have limit the number of students as they do in Scotland ?

The Tories seem to a death wish and are trying not to want to win this election....Davybe

No exactly the opposite the Conservative part are that far ahead of Comedy Corbyn and his fantasists.... sorry party that they can afford too. Social Care is a massive issue and I know because wife was manager of a dementia care home and all her working life of 35yrs was working with people with dementia. It has been kicked into the long grass by Tories and Labour hoping it would go away for many years while the situation has only got worse. Saying everybody should get free home care and care home while very admirable is not practicable an whatever any government decides to solve the problem it is going to be controversial but it has to be done sooner rather than later. The one thing that has made the situation worse is the closure of council run care homes which has been done now for many years and has been both Labour and Conservative policy to save public sector costs but it hasn't it has just deferred the inevitable that was going to happen and now it is a major problem which no party seems to know the answer. The only real answer is to increase income tax so that everybody pays into the system for a better NHS and Social Care  but that is a political hot potato.

Morning Sinbad. good post.

Some poles have the Tory lead down to single figures,and I would think tomorrow's poles will shift further in Labour's favour, Dread to think how far ahead labour would be if they had a decent leader.

I am and never will be loyal to any party ,typical floating voter,I have voted for most parties over the years ,But try to use my head when voting ,are the Labour promises fully funded  ,History says they will cost far more than they are saying.But looking at both manifesto's a new voter would quite easily find labour an attractive party ,despite Corbyn .

The Elephant in the room is the cost of Britex Whichever Party gets in that will affect the  amount of money they have to spend.Hopefully we will eventually have more but initially we will have less IMO.

Hopefully parties will tell us the truth and not give us the usual tripe about the promised land ,payed for by someone else...Davybe  

Hi  I agree with the scrapping of tuition fees, when I went to university, the tax payer funded my education.  As a current tax payer I can't object to the current students having the same benefits as I received.

The benefit of a degree can be over £30k pa. why should low paid workers subsidise this benefit? I worked and took my degree part time, and paid for it. The benefit wa a greatly increased pay packet almost as soon as it was completed. I did not mind paying - best value in the long run. 

When I left school I didn't have high enough qualifications to go to university and not everyone in the top class in final year did carry on to higher education for the same reason. These days everybody seems to many have the opportunity to go to university and obvious from the statistics given by the government that the educational standards of students today are not any higher just the entry standards have got lower and far too many irrelevant degrees and there lies the problem. If there was more going to university because the educational standards were higher then I would not have a problem with free tuition fees because the country as a whole would benefit in the future but sadly this is not the case more have gone to university because of lack of employment and it suited previous governments to manufacture lower unemployment figures.

13 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

When I left school I didn't have high enough qualifications to go to university and not everyone in the top class in final year did carry on to higher education for the same reason. These days everybody seems to many have the opportunity to go to university and obvious from the statistics given by the government that the educational standards of students today are not any higher just the entry standards have got lower and far too many irrelevant degrees and there lies the problem. If there was more going to university because the educational standards were higher then I would not have a problem with free tuition fees because the country as a whole would benefit in the future but sadly this is not the case more have gone to university because of lack of employment and it suited previous governments to manufacture lower unemployment figures.

Like you not academic enough to get to UNI ,had a few friends who made it and went on to get very good degrees and into well paid jobs.  But as a society we seem to have lost the will to use selection as a means of getting the best out of people ,we eventually face selection and rejection when apply for jobs?? why not earlier .

A Restaurant we eat at most of the waiting staff have a Degree in something plus the debt that goes with it ,as the owner says they can do this job with no degree ,most move on getting another job in the same industry.

Tony Blair introduced the tuition fees  it allowed more people to get into UNI   and reduce the dole queue ,but we seem to have more useless degrees than ever ,Perhaps A reduced fee would be the answer...Davybe

19 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi  I agree with the scrapping of tuition fees, when I went to university, the tax payer funded my education.  As a current tax payer I can't object to the current students having the same benefits as I received.

Were you using a grant system to fund your degree ? From what I can remember you had to apply for grants which were means tested to fund you?  .

Giving it free for all will mean the wealthy can spend more ensuring there kids get better tuition to get into the better UNI's IMO We should have free Education for the People who are taking degrees in Medicine ,but not social studies ,Media studies even Forensic Science ...Davybe  

Hi

4 hours ago, Davybe said:

Were you using a grant system to fund your degree ? From what I can remember you had to apply for grants which were means tested to fund you?  .

Giving it free for all will mean the wealthy can spend more ensuring there kids get better tuition to get into the better UNI's IMO We should have free Education for the People who are taking degrees in Medicine ,but not social studies ,Media studies even Forensic Science ...Davybe  

Hi  I when I went to university in the seventies all students had all of their academic fees paid for by the state.  The  maintence grant for living costs while studying were means tested according to your parents/guardian income.

18 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi

Hi  I when I went to university in the seventies all students had all of their academic fees paid for by the state.  The  maintence grant for living costs while studying were means tested according to your parents/guardian income.

Thanks for that info LA , I knew work mates whose children got the Grants and others who after promotion just failed to get it.

Wonder if they get elected if they will cap the number off children going or just have an open account?

My Daughter runs a Childcare business her in Wales and the Government want them to sign up to this 30 free hours a week,without telling  them how much  money they will get per hour??....Davybe

18 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:
23 hours ago, Davybe said:

Hi  I partially agree with your assessment but I would extend the degree courses for which the government assist in paying the fees.  I would include engineering, biological sciences and computing plus others.  Although media studies does seem to be a "non academic" subject the graduates in this subject have one of the highest employment rates of all the graduates, I suppose it does show how the job market has changed in the last decade.

5 minutes ago, towny44 said:

I suspect that most media studies graduates end up at McDonalds or similar, I can't see that they would be suited for much else!!!

Hi  Fortunately for those who graduate, they tend to end up in relative well paid careers, often in the public relations/marketing etc departments of companies which continue to expand while the skilled workers on the shop floor have been replaced by robots   Just a thought if a worker completes a task for money he or she is expected to pay tax/national insurance whereas work completed by a robot  isn't taxed. I wonder whether the government should start taxing robotic systems to pay for the NHS/Social Care?

20 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi  Fortunately for those who graduate, they tend to end up in relative well paid careers, often in the public relations/marketing etc departments of companies which continue to expand while the skilled workers on the shop floor have been replaced by robots   Just a thought if a worker completes a task for money he or she is expected to pay tax/national insurance whereas work completed by a robot  isn't taxed. I wonder whether the government should start taxing robotic systems to pay for the NHS/Social Care?

23 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:
  •  

As you can see I am having problems Replying It may not just me.

We can rely on the politicians to be well behind events ? They Should Take a lesson from RCI who charge you18% gratson drinks ordered from a robot Barman??

It is those who do not end up in job's  or low paid jobs due to taking  non vocational courses. Why should we fund their education and then their benefits .Remember the young Lady refusing work as a shelf stacker as it was beneath her??

The young now seem to think we owe them something and the state should provide it all....Davybe