Davybe

Are you Brand Loyal ?

20 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

P&O only count cruises within the last 3 years which then accounts towards Baltic and Liguarian. If you are in Caribbean and do not reach enough "cruise nights" within previous 3 years you stay in that loyalty tier and never move or lose position the same with all tiers below Caribbean.

Thanks for that info sinbad, most kind.

However all record of our first two cruises with P&O, have seemingly vanished into thin air, despite producing the P&O ticket counterfoils. (Those were the days!)

A 7night Arcadia in August 2005, followed by a 6 night Aurora in September 2005.

It's all really of little consequence though, for the reasons stated above.

I'm on Oriana in just under 4 weeks time, out of Southampton, but given our location, we often tend to look out for Part Worldie sectors, 'Out East' if they are going to places we've not seen. We are not particularly fond of Arcadia, but we've always liked Aurora.

The upcoming cruise, will be my personal Oriana 'Maiden'. Should have been years ago 2007/2008?? Up to Spitzbergen, but had to cancel due to elder family health issues. So it's been a long wait!!

Peter.

Yes, I am Brand Loyal and for several reasons.

The brand I am loyal to not only offer me arguably the best loyalty club at sea but a range of ships from small to huge that are based in many parts of the world thus expanding my horizon. That is not to say that I don't travel with other cruise lines, I do, and have been with 18 of them, why, because there are places that my brand does not visit at various times of the year. The Arctic in winter is but one example.

I have been very loyal to P&O. The food on Oceana was dreadful in march. Worst food on any of the 20 cruises I have done. Poor quality, minuscule portions and not hot. It would appear there is a problem in the kitchen so the food is going cold quickly. It is back to Fred Olsen. P&O, in my option does not value loyalty.

Edited by micradot
Spelling mistake

On 28/05/2017 at 11:19 AM, Lincolnshire Cruiser said:

I have just posted this on the 'Silent Disco' thread. I'd be interested to know if people loyal to Celebrity could comment on whether they have found constant background music a problem on their ships.

Several times we have considered cruising with Celebrity but have read, on various posts, that it is almost impossible to escape piped music in the public areas. This has made us avoid booking with them. Perhaps the 'Silent Disco' idea could be extended to other areas of their ships.

On 28/05/2017 at 11:19 AM, Lincolnshire Cruiser said:

I have just posted this on the 'Silent Disco' thread. I'd be interested to know if people loyal to Celebrity could comment on whether they have found constant background music a problem on their ships.

Several times we have considered cruising with Celebrity but have read, on various posts, that it is almost impossible to escape piped music in the public areas. This has made us avoid booking with them. Perhaps the 'Silent Disco' idea could be extended to other areas of their ships.

We have thoroughly enjoyed two 'silent' (ie no piped music') on two Celebrity ships, Infinity and Eclipse.  However, our last, B2B on Millennium, was marred, not just by the appallingly tasteless food but the incessant thump, thump thump of so called music everywhere on ship.  Impossible to relax by the pool for the noise and they even managed to ruin an otherwise excellent remembrance service on Nov 11 by continuing to play background music during the two minute silence. As for loyalty, Celebrity for one are taking the Michael - after four cruises we are still entitled to just one scoop of ice-cream per cruise.

So, our next cruise definitely won't be Celebrity nor, for a multiple list of reasons, will it be P&O, the only other cruise line we have sailed with. Our next cruise is going to be a complete change with Hurtigruten and, fed up with the headlong fall downmarket of the major lines, we plan to take our 2019 cruise with one of the cruiselines who offer a more agreeable experience.

yes brand loyal , we get what we expect , did one on a sister company and found standards of customer care poor and rude staffing , trying a completely different line in 2018 . 

Regarding "music" on Celebrity our last years cruise on Reflection was constant loud disco-type music just about everywhere. Even in the library, which is open to the atrium you couldn't escape.  First night I thought we were above some sort of machinery as the floor and bed were vibrating. A quick trip to the balcony found total silence but opening door into corridor it was overwhelming.  Seems we were above Martini Bar where an amplifier was set up to transfer music from Atrium to higher levels. On complaining I was told that others were also ringing to complain but nothing was done. On last night, when some had very early start next morning it was unbearable. Ringing to complain again I was told - sorry madam, but I don't think,it will go on much longer. 

Celebrity is now no longer our favourite cruise line. 

Hello everyone. Just read the comments here regarding P&O loyalty program. Very surprised to find out that points are lost! We have only been once with P&O and found it OK but not inspiring, that was April last year. Main positive note was the price - very cheap.

We originally went with RCI back in 2007 and our points are still on the system and count toward Celebrity as well - seems a good deal.

Our Cunard points are also adding up and the free Internet (2hrs each) when on second gold level seems to be one of the best benefits of any loyalty program and these also last for ever. As P&O and Cunard are both owned by Carnival I was surprised at the difference in loyalty schemes.  How about a similar cross over as with RCI and Celebrity - (which are the same company).

My criticism of Cunard would be the price of their drinks which are high quality but painfully priced! The lack of any packages apart from bottles of wine.

Bottom line is that we like to try other lines just to see how they are and if worth it, but keep coming back to Celebrity Solstice class which to us are the right size of ship i.e. big, but not too big. Each to their own.

19 minutes ago, SDP said:

Hello everyone. Just read the comments here regarding P&O loyalty program. Very surprised to find out that points are lost! We have only been once with P&O and found it OK but not inspiring, that was April last year. Main positive note was the price - very cheap.

We originally went with RCI back in 2007 and our points are still on the system and count toward Celebrity as well - seems a good deal.

Our Cunard points are also adding up and the free Internet (2hrs each) when on second gold level seems to be one of the best benefits of any loyalty program and these also last for ever. As P&O and Cunard are both owned by Carnival I was surprised at the difference in loyalty schemes.  How about a similar cross over as with RCI and Celebrity - (which are the same company).

My criticism of Cunard would be the price of their drinks which are high quality but painfully priced! The lack of any packages apart from bottles of wine.

Bottom line is that we like to try other lines just to see how they are and if worth it, but keep coming back to Celebrity Solstice class which to us are the right size of ship i.e. big, but not too big. Each to their own.

Your loyalty points will not be lost. The only points that are lost is once you reach Caribbean Tier you then have to do so many cruise nights in last 3 years to reach Baltic/Liguarian. If you are on Caribbean or lower they will never be taken off you and will only increase until you reach Caribbean.

For us, itinerary is always the first consideration, and then having decided where we want to go choosing the line. Having said that, we do have our preferred lines as well as those that we would not sail with. Our preferred lines are Oceania, NCL and P&O - very different in ambience (and price!) but each has their own pluses and minuses. Having tried a taster, we didn't enjoy Fred and found Princess to be pricier but no better than P&O.

As regards Loyalty, the majority of lines schemes are, in our view, not worth worrying about although the Norwegian Group lines do offer useful benefits like free laundry, free speciality dining, increased OBC and the ultimate of a free cruise, although to achieve that last one will have earned it considering the number of cruise nights required!

Have only cruised with Royal Caribbean,been totally satisfied,having described them to friends as"my comfort zone" Love the ships,love the crew🤗🤗🤗 would I consider another cruise line? Possibly depending on itinerary.

We have cruised many times over a number of years.

unfortunately the standard of the cruise lines has deteriorated.

we like the formal nights but unfortunately most of the cruise company's don't adhere to it and are afraid to turn people away from the formal restaurant.  It may sound snobby but when we are dressed in black tie and long dress, I object to someone being allowed in in a pair of jeans, check shirt and a flat cap.  This happened on our last Celebrity cruise.

we have now started cruising with Cunard as they enforce the dress code.

We have completed 5 cruises with Cunard, 5 with HAL, 3 with Celebrity and 2 with RSS, all of which had their pluses and minuses,  but all of which were hugely enjoyable experiences. We have also cruised once with P&O and NCL - both of which we found much less enjoyable. We find that to a certain extent, there is not a lot to choose within the brands,  so I think that it is the itinerary which is the attraction.

We have cruised with P&O since 1980 (Canberra/Oriana etc) and always had a great time and been satisfied with the service, price, entertainment, food and ports of call, we have not cruised with any other company and are not inclined to change now as we enjoy our loyalty perks. Having cruised on all P&O's current fleet we prefer the medium sized ships with Oriana the oldest ship being our favorite. All our cruising is from Southampton as we won't fly. 

Shaggy Dog.

We've tried 5 different cruise companies, and have enjoyed the little differences in each. We still prefer smaller ships, and our choice these days is mainly for the itinerary. What does annoy us, though, is the way cruise lines will take away your loyalty points if you stop booking with them (usually after 5 years). We've just returned to 'Fred' after 6 years, but got no extra benefits. The result is that we are left wondering whether they actually wanted us back? Certainly, there's no incentive.

I recently gave up being loyal to Celebrity, owing to increased pricing and poor service when we hit a major problem in Istanbul. We were mugged and badly shaken up on a Ship tour. Customer services were not interested and said weren't responsible! We never said they were but a cup of tea and a chat would have been welcome! Anyway we moved to Cunard and have so far loved it, but am now far more willing to try other lines and will not stick to one brand again. 

Edited by halebop63@gmail.com
Spelling

On 26/05/2017 at 0:18 PM, sinbad10 said:

We have been very "brand loyal" with Carnival UK having only ever cruised with their cruise lines and have now done over 40 with them but after what has happened to myself and many others this week with reference to the double charging of payments for a cruise booked with them I am seriously considering whether I can ever  trust them again. Perhaps this might be a blessing in disguise and attract my attention to other cruise lines outside the Carnival Group.

You say you have had over 40 cruises with them. I understand the upset caused by the overcharging but what about all the times it went right. why concentrate on the one negative thing??

10 minutes ago, buddy said:

You say you have had over 40 cruises with them. I understand the upset caused by the overcharging but what about all the times it went right. why concentrate on the one negative thing??

Because the negative "thing" was having £1888 taken from your bank account when you had already paid for the cruise in full 2 months earlier. This caused a lot of inconvenience and embarrassment and have no confidence in them as a cruise company that it won't happen again.  I am sure you would feel the same if the same thing happened to you.

Being loyal does not always pay. Just look at M&S. My wife always shopped there but quality has gone down and prices up so she goes elsewhere. This is how some cruise lines are going. We decide where in the world we want to go and at what time in the year the go to see a sales consultant at Bolsover cruise club and let them marry everything together. No loyalty just the best value for money.

On 6/4/2017 at 9:25 PM, Gill63 said:

I recently gave up being loyal to Celebrity, owing to increased pricing and poor service when we hit a major problem in Istanbul. We were mugged and badly shaken up on a Ship tour. Customer services were not interested and said weren't responsible! We never said they were but a cup of tea and a chat would have been welcome! Anyway we moved to Cunard and have so far loved it, but am now far more willing to try other lines and will not stick to one brand again. 

We are now thinking the same thing ,mainly due to massive price increases ,never found the service a problem ,and their loyalty scheme is one of the best .

Only ever witnessed one mugging on a tour and the help they got even on the way back to the ship was very good, guess it's down to who you get ...Davybe  

On 5/30/2017 at 11:24 AM, HALaP&O said:

Thanks for that info sinbad, most kind.

However all record of our first two cruises with P&O, have seemingly vanished into thin air, despite producing the P&O ticket counterfoils. (Those were the days!)

A 7night Arcadia in August 2005, followed by a 6 night Aurora in September 2005.

It's all really of little consequence though, for the reasons stated above.

I'm on Oriana in just under 4 weeks time, out of Southampton, but given our location, we often tend to look out for Part Worldie sectors, 'Out East' if they are going to places we've not seen. We are not particularly fond of Arcadia, but we've always liked Aurora.

The upcoming cruise, will be my personal Oriana 'Maiden'. Should have been years ago 2007/2008?? Up to Spitzbergen, but had to cancel due to elder family health issues. So it's been a long wait!!

Peter.

In 2005 the P&O loyalty club was called the Portunas Club and I think they awarded points differently from the way the current Peninsular club works (i.e. 10 points per night)

When the Portunas changed over to Peninsular your points should have been converted to an equivalent number in Peninsular, which is viewable in the “Your Loyalty” section of the Peninsular site.

If they are not there, the page does contain the contact details for any queries regarding point’s awards.

Pylon

I tend to be more Brand Loyal when I travel solo and the three solo cruises I have done have all been with P&O.  I know exactly what I am getting and the overall product suits me.  Also, the prices for solo pax on P&O are generally more reasonable than many other lines albeit still expensive compared to travelling with a partner/friend.  I do also cruise with a friend and have sailed on three other lines in the last 4 years.  My choice of cruise however would have to include sea days & formal nights and would need to be on a ship no larger than around 2000 pax.

Andrew

On 2017-5-26 at 2:10 PM, cruise chef said:

Not at all, more destination driven and trying different brands gives different concepts each time.

A lot depends on what you want and your experience.I have been cruising since 1984 and done over 70 cruises  on 9 lines, Started small 200 passengers then worked up to fairly big on one line went back to smallish for 10 years back to big then back to smallish over to big again but now loyal to smallish. had top loyalty membership with Swan Hellenic, Royal Carabbean, P & O. Fred Olsen but tried 3 other smallish lines and 2 other big lines. I have to say I am now very loyal to Fred Olsen because I do not have to travel to the South of England. Their food is excellent, They are very caring especially to the disabled (the best of all lines). They are not crowded (plenty of open spaces), speakers excellent and so is the entertainment( the entertainment team also have organised things on shore days) I very often get an outside twin cabin for no extra supplement. They have  very good deals if you book on board,  I have 5 cruises booked with them, 3 sailing from Rosyth (20 minutes from home) and 2 flying from Manchester.     

Edited by MB alone
Additions