Sign in to follow this  
Urnicked

Baltic Cruise currency

We are going on a Baltic Cruise in July. Most countries are not in the Eurozone so all have their own currency. What is the best advice regarding getting currency or do Estonia, Russia, Finland, Sweden and Denmark all accept Euros or Sterling?

You might have euros accepted by some shops in Denmark and Sweden but if they do they will give a very poor exchange rate and they are already very expensive countries when using their own currencies so making them even dearer. Russia euros and US$ are accepted by some but not UK£. When we went we took a small amount approx. £50 of each countries own currency i.e. Denmark, Sweden and Poland and used Euros in Estonia, Finland and Russia. Depending which cruise line you going with some called at Poland which is the zloty and others called at Warnemunde/Travemunde which is Germany so Euros. Baltics is one of our favourite cruises and we have done it 3 times.

When we did the Baltic cruise, we got off the boat, with Stirling and went into the exchanged twenty pounds to cover the cost off coffee etc, if however we found a more expencive item we went back to the exchange, some of the ports are very  expencive only very few took € and the rate was poor.

Hello Urnicked, we have done the Baltic cruise on two occasions and like Cruise Addict have always used the Euro without any problems.

We are also going on our third Baltic Cruise on July the 2nd on Aurora and I presume the same one as you.

I think a lot of places accept the Euro and US Dollar, however people have told me before it is better to take a bit of each currency with you, I'm sure you will be able to get most currencies from euro change, you can order them online and have them delivered or go and collect from a branch.

Don't think it is too much problem to nip any supermarket who have a currency exchange and get £30-£40 in Swedish,  Danish and US currency then you will be covered and save the embarrassment of wanting something from a shop or café and they will not accept Euro. We did a trip to Iceland in Arcadia and we went into the café in the gardens for a drink and there was uproar in there because there were customers who were off the ship and they were moaning because the staff would not accept the Euro and I just walked to the front of the queue and ordered drinks and paid in Icelandic currency.

There s a lot of advice on Cruise Critic regarding Currency in the Baltics.  Most people advise to just use a fee free Credit Card which can be used in shops. restaurants and on public transport too. Think we're gonna do that & just take a few Euros. 

True, Sinbad it always pays to take a small amount of the local currency for the smaller outlets who maybe dont want to handle various currencies, I'm sure for most people if we walked into a local cafe/deli or bar in the UK and tried to pay in Euro's we would be met with the same response