spiffann

New Today/tipping Onboard

Guest shilly3191

What is there to say its currently £3-60 and you can opt out by going to reception and pay direct to your cabin steward/waiters but I am of the strong believe that those that opt out only do so because they dont want to pay at all. Do not fall into the trap that you want the money go to the person that has served you throughout your cruise because its highly likely that whatever you give them it has to be handed in and pooled anyway so no point in removing them.

Hi spiffan, I have recently returned from a P&O cruise aboard Oceana and that was my first cruise with them since the change in the tipping policy.  To be honest I think the charge of just £3.60 per person per day is extremely reasonable for the work that the crew put in.  Our cruise was fantastic, one of the best yet so we have no complaints at all.  We heard concerns beforehand that people were worried that with no incentive to gain individual tips, service would not be as good on board but I can 100% say it was excellent.  We requested envelopes at the end of the cruise and gave our cabin steward and waiter something extra which a few people seemed to be doing but I think the new system works well.

Hi  I totally agree with the comments. tips should be paid and it's easy to pay by the onboard credit system.  Infact I strongly believe that these charges should be incorporated into the boarding fare and the crusie lines pay their hard working staff a decent wage.  I know some passengers say that the levels of service would decline but the levels of service on those lines which do add these charges to the boarding fare tend to get good customer satisfaction ie from the standard (Thomson) through to the luxury (Crystal)

The only problem with incorporating the tips/gratuities into the fare would be that people would still feel inclined to give tips again in addition to any extra which they would be giving anyway. The current system of having it on your on board account works and if you take them off you have to give a reason why. Well with P & O you do.

The only problem with incorporating the tips/gratuities into the fare would be that people would still feel inclined to give tips again in addition to any extra which they would be giving anyway.

The current system of having it on your on board account works and if you take them off you have to give a reason why. Well with P & O you do.

Although I don't see it as a problem you're quite correct TPP. It doesn't seem quite right just walking away after the service one always receives on a ship so I always hand over an extra few bob to the cabin steward and dining room waiter. I've never had a poor cabin steward nor a bad waiter. Admittedly some have been better than others but I've always received quality service. 

Unless one is going to give a smaller amount, or indeed nothing, then I really don't understand anyone removing the auto-grats.

cheers

Harvey

I thinkl its good you have the option of opting out however on every p&o cruise I have done the staff were wonderful and as the amount wasn't ridiculous then I was happy to leave it on my account.

Like many others I pay the auto-gratuities on P & O and also make direct payments to the waiters and cabin steward where appropriate.  I would like to think that the additional payments are kept by those for whom they were intended.  Does anyone know for a fact that all gratuities have to be pooled?  I was also told last week that a waiter had stated to our table companions that waiters are paid £1000 per month and wine waiters receive only £250! Has anyone else heard this?  And do those workers who are not front-line staff receive additional payment in lieu of gratuities?

Like many others I pay the auto-gratuities on P & O and also make direct payments to the waiters and cabin steward where appropriate.  I would like to think that the additional payments are kept by those for whom they were intended.  Does anyone know for a fact that all gratuities have to be pooled?  I was also told last week that a waiter had stated to our table companions that waiters are paid £1000 per month and wine waiters receive only £250! Has anyone else heard this?  And do those workers who are not front-line staff receive additional payment in lieu of gratuities?

Ian1943,

That seems an awful lot for a waiter,and £250 does not seem much for a wine waiter considering that is not all that they do,during the day they work as general waiters,not that I know about there wages,and I think they keep what they are actually paid quiet. ;)

We find P&O tipping policy very good compared to Celebrity and Princess Cruises.When you add the Gratuities and service charges per couple it can work out VERY expensive indeed.

Comparing the new P&O brochure to last years. There is no mention of the tipping amount per day. Says to look at your cruise personaliser so guess P&O are going to up the amount at some time or have differing rates?

I posted this story on tips awhile ago. The story told to me by one dining friend was,he filled in a form at the end of the cruise,the type where  you rate service poor to excellent,he ticked very good.Not because the service was not excellent,he just ticked very good.A couple of the waiting staff asked him to tick excellent in stead.The reason being they would receive a reduced portion from the tip pool.Is this an urban myth.Went on a cruise in January,the story flying around was that the drinks waiting staff are on a 6 per cent commission on what the sell.I always tip one way or the other for the first class service we receive on P.O.

Guest shilly3191

I have just had my holiday info booklet for a forthcoming trip on P & O and it is stated as £3.95 per day.  B)

If that is true that means a13% increase in wages for somebody there is a lot out there, myself included would like a pay rise that big.

Its still cheaper than some cruise lines…. I don't know what the problem is. It might sound selfish but that bit comes out of on board credit anyway and then if you wish you just take some extra cash if they deserve a little more.  B)

Am I old fashioned.. After 20 years cruising I have always given above the asking rate and I recognise good service but I can recall times when the cabin steward was very lax and I really have felt like giving nothing.

The only advantage, in my opinion, in the prepayment system is in those cases where a passenger thinks they do not have to give anything due to inexperience or old age and the steward suffers.