spiffann

New Today/tipping Onboard

With all due respect I fail to see what 'old age' has to do with it… or inexperience come to that. It states in the brochures and holiday information booklet how much the gratuities are and how they are added to your on board account, and prior to the new system how you paid them.

Welcome to the site by the way…  :)

You do not get many inexperienced or to use your words( old aged) people working on cruise ships, plus I know some senior citizens who would put younger people to shame wink wink. ;) Ron

Judging by some of the questions I have read on forums it appears that a lot of people don't actually read the small print in the brochure whether it be about the dress codes or tipping policy.

Guest shilly3191

Judging by some of the questions I have read on forums it appears that a lot of people don't actually read the small print in the brochure whether it be about the dress codes or tipping policy.

Surprised of how many dont even read the brochure at all and they are usually the first ones to moan about things that if they had have done they would have realised before booking.

On our 20th  P&O cruise last autumn our cabin steward asked me to opt out of paying the gratuities via the onboard account as he said they were now worse off than under the previous system.  I did not do this but gave him additional cash which he apparently thought was not good enough as on the last day he was most unpleasant refusing to smile or even speak!  I think the old system was much better.

I thought the gratuities level increased to £5.00 per day per person with effect from this month. There is another discussion on this elsewhere on the site

I think this is a resurrected thread from 12 months ago.

The £5 per day gratuities are now up and running. Two of us went on a 17 night cruise to Venice and our total cabin spend was wiped out when £170 was deducted.

I believe you will find that the amount went up in May to £5.00 per person per day. I must admit that I just leave the auto gratuity on my account then reward those who deserve more with a little extra. The crew do not get paid a huge amount, by our standards, but they appear to be well paid when compared with the wages earned by those who still work in the home countries.

I cruised on P&O over Christmas and the New Year, I heard all sorts of discussions among fellow passengers regarding tips on your account, some of which weren't glowing with praise. I asked for clarification at the customer services desk and was told that gratuities were shared between your cabin steward & regular waiters, as I had been allocated freedom dining I asked if it was shared between all the waiters in the dining roomI had to use, this seemed to be a difficult question as I was referred to the previous answer. I did ask my cabin steward about tips and very reluctantly he said they only got their full share if they were rated as excellent on the questionnaire. I removed the gratuities from my account but gave half each to the cabin steward (and extra just for him) and to the person who allocated tables as he assured me it was pooled and shared out among the dining room staff. I think that given how much revenue is gathered from the automatic tips each cruise, surely ALL the staff, including those we don't see, cleaners etc, should get a share.

It would be great OWT if those reported on the feedback as excellent received a bonus from the pot of those who hadnt made the grade then at least everyone would aspire to the better service, I know they do their recognition awards but for most of the staff who are supporting families back hom the extra cash would be a real benefit

I am sorry but I know what it states in the brochure and having spoken to various members of staff i.e. waiters and cabin stewards who have all given different systems I do not believe or trust that all the £5-50 collected by P&O goes directly to the staff. Like seawitch has stated the increase of gratuities has increased over 50% this last couple of years and do not believe that the staff have had an increase in wages of over 50% in the same period so where has the extra money gone.

We always tip our waiters and cabin steward. If tips are taken off at sources we usually ask reception to halve this amount and then tip whom we like. We dont do this to get out of tipping, quite the opposite. The only occasion that we have gone ahead with the tipping policy and didn't tip personally left us both feeling very mean indeed as we left the restaurant on the last night and would not do it again. We usually allocate £20 for the cabin steward and usually the same each for the waiters in the restaurant if we have had the same ones for the length of the cruise. An odd fiver here and there also to bar staff etc.

What is the point of tipping directly to members of the crew if they have to hand it over?

I have always given extra because it was my way of saying thank you to them for their personal service but now don't know what to do.

I'm off on a cruise next week too!!

What is the point of tipping directly to members of the crew if they have to hand it over?

I have always given extra because it was my way of saying thank you to them for their personal service but now don't know what to do.

I'm off on a cruise next week too!!

It was always my understanding that they didn't have to hand it over.

However our steward told us on the last cruise that unless they got an excellent tick on the questionaire from everyone they served then they did not receive any of the tips.

It is all very confusing.

First thing we do on board is cancel the auto tips and deal direct with the staff. That way we know they have been rewarded by us, what they do with it from there on is up to the staff, at least our minds are clear.

We split the recommended amount 50/50 between the cabin steward and the dining room waiters and maybe add a little extra if deserved.

See you in a weeks time

David E