Furby

Best Card for use Abroad

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good debit/credit card for use on abroad, no fees and good exchange rates. I always end up paying on debit card, with Lloyds at the moment and get hit with so many fees and charges it is crazy.

Any advice welcome

19 minutes ago, Furby said:

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good debit/credit card for use on abroad, no fees and good exchange rates. I always end up paying on debit card, with Lloyds at the moment and get hit with so many fees and charges it is crazy.

Any advice welcome

Barclaycard Platinum Credit Card, are doing a Travel Credit Card with no fees until August 2022 No non-sterling transaction fees on your foreign spend and ATM withdrawals

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card

The Travelex Supercard which came out last year and was linked to your own Credit Card, which occurred no charges when used abroad is being closed on 24th July 2017,, due apparently  to the cost involved in running it.

https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard

see Martin Lewis what he recommends here

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards

Edited by pennbank

For some years now I have been using the Halifax Clarity card as recommended by Martin Lewis. There are no withdrawal charges, no currency conversion charges, you get almost the commercial rate of exchange and only pay interest on what you withdraw from the time of withdrawal to the time of repayment. 

This charge can be nullified by two methods. One is to make the withdrawal and then do an immediate electronic transfer onto the account and the other is that if the card is in credit there are no charges.

It has worked well for me all over the world. The only time there is a charge, as with all cards, is if it is used at a private bank mainly in the USA.

Standard Nationwide Credit Card and Post Office Credit card - been travelling with these for years and no charges. If you use Nationwide they hav a security system to prevent fraud so you need to log the regions to be visited for the credit card and/or the actual countries if you use their debit card. Exchange rated are good as well.

1 hour ago, Captain Kidd II said:

Standard Nationwide Credit Card and Post Office Credit card - been travelling with these for years and no charges. If you use Nationwide they hav a security system to prevent fraud so you need to log the regions to be visited for the credit card and/or the actual countries if you use their debit card. Exchange rated are good as well.

oh I have already got a post office credit card, will have to have a better look at it

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

It may be worth looking at a pre loaded card from a travel agent or the post office....Davybe

The  thing with preloaded cards are that they can not be used for checking in to Hotels or Ships and other preauthorisation transactions as all your funds could be frozen for several days or  weeks.

Edited by pennbank

20 hours ago, pennbank said:

The  thing with preloaded cards are that they can not be used for checking in to Hotels or Ships and other preauthorisation transactions as all your funds could be frozen for several days or  weeks.

Try this link?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

My daughter used them in the states with no problems ,How does it freeze your funds ??...Davybe

2 hours ago, Davybe said:

Try this link?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

My daughter used them in the states with no problems ,How does it freeze your funds ??...Davybe

Pre paid cards can  be frozen when used on certain transactions,  as they can take preauthorisation as I said earlier,

see

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2710241/Find-holiday-cash-card-frozen-especially-decide-rent-car-whilst-youre-abroad.html

Edited by pennbank

Saga also do a card for over 50s but you can have a second cardholder who can be under 50. This is a Visa card.  We have used this and the Post Office card (MasterCard) all over the world in the past 20 years or so. Just remember when making transactions to do it the currency if the country you are visiting and do not let metchant convert charge into sterling as the exchange rate is less favourable. We do not use them to withdraw cash though as this does incur a fee.

I travel through Europe to/from cruise ships frequently. By far the best card I have found is 'Aqua' by Halifax. Truly excellent in all countries. Haven't even looked at interest rates as I use it simply as a charge card so, check if it's a consideration. 

I bank with Santander. I have both credit and debit cards with them. I can withdraw any local currency from a Santander ATM for free. With the credit card as long as I purchase in local currency there is no added exchange rate so everything is changed into GBP at my bank therefore no nasty surprises when the bill arrives.

On 6/3/2017 at 9:28 AM, pennbank said:

Pre paid cards can  be frozen when used on certain transactions,  as they can take preauthorisation as I said earlier,

see

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2710241/Find-holiday-cash-card-frozen-especially-decide-rent-car-whilst-youre-abroad.html

All Cards can get frozen ,As I found out on three occasions .

And if you Check the Martin Lewis website Travel /preload cannot now be used for car hire .And can be unfrozen by calling the supplier. They are handy for some people ,but not for all ,Best using a Credit card  .but inform the issuer your going abroad ,if it is part of their T&GS. Ad pay it off each month....Davybe

My card was blocked while I was abroad, can I prevent this?

This is less common with prepaid cards than with normal credit or debit cards, as prepaid card firms don't routinely watch for odd transactions.

These cards are designed for use abroad, so it's unlikely a transaction will be blocked because of this. However, if you are overseas and a transaction on your prepaid card is blocked, then you can call the provider and ask it to remove the block

Taken from the FAQS on the web site.

It may be a bit more accurate then a 3 year old piece from the Mail??.

Edited by Davybe

On 31/05/2017 at 2:26 PM, Furby said:

Hi,

Any advice welcome

Went to NEw Zealand with stop offs in four different countries used Barclaycard Platinum Credit Card, are doing a Travel Credit Card with no fees until August 2022 No non-sterling transaction fees on your foreign spend and ATM withdrawals very good rates

1 hour ago, M.Mouse said:

I would recommend https://revolut.com/   I use it I have euro and dollars on the card works well.

Also reviewed by Martin Lewis  http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

I use a Post Office Platinum MasterCard and I also have a Saga Visa card.  Neither of these cards loads the exchange rate or charges fees for purchases in other currencies.  Their published exchange rates are very similar to interbank rates, although MasterCard rates are often marginally better than Visa exchange rates.

You can also use either of these cards to withdraw cash from ATMs.  Saga add a 2% cash withdrawal fee to each transaction (minimum £2), but they do not charge any interest on cash withdrawals, if you repay the entire balance within the interest-free period (of around three weeks from your statement date).  i pay the full statement balance by direct debit, so I never pay any interest charges.  Consequently, the Saga Visa card is more cost effective for cash withdrawals than my HSBC debit card (which loads the Visa exchange rate by 2.75%).  Many bank debit cards load the exchange rate AND charge additional fees.

The Post Office MasterCard is less attractive for cash withdrawals, because although the Post Office card does not add any fees, they charge interest on cash withdrawals from Day 1.

Edited by BobTroll

On 02/06/2017 at 8:48 AM, Davybe said:

It may be worth looking at a pre loaded card from a travel agent or the post office....Davybe

I have used a Post Office Credit Card for a long time. I just keep it for holidays as there is no charges on foreign currency as long as it is cleared straight away.