Sign in to follow this  
willow_12

Stavanger - Pulpit Rock

Hi :)  We are going to the Norweigian Fjords on the Britannia, and one of the ports is Stavanger. We have seen the images of Pulpit Rock and would love to climb it. As far as i can see on the P&O excursions, we can only see the rock from water level. Has anyone ever climbed the rock and have any tips on if its even possible to get there in the limited port time?

just got the following off google, maybe why no one is offering it as there isnt enough time in port? have not been myself so sorry I havnt got a personal recommendation

'Guide books and the Visit Norway website recommends two hours to hike to Pulpit Rock, an hour to spend at Pulpit Rock, and a two hours to hike back. At noon we started our way up the mountain. It was very steep at first, and it didn't take long until we were scrambling up boulders amidst pine forests. 8 Apr 2014'

hhmmm. It's looking llike this isn't going to be possible. Judging by the time frame you've just mentioned though, it does make sense that no one offers it. Such a shame, the views look amazing!

Hi, We have walked up Pulpit Rock ( Preikestolen ) twice. It is a fantastic walk as long as there is no low cloud. On our first walk up cloud arrived just as we arrived at the top. It is a fairly tough two hour walk each way and you need walking boots or sturdy shoes. To get there you need to walk about half a mile to  catch the ferry to Tau. Locals will direct you to the ferry terminal. Then when you leave the ferry there used to be a bus service to the srart at the car park of the Preikestolhyta (youth hostel) or you can get a taxi although taxis are expensive in Norway.

On our second trip we asked the tours desk to put a notice up asking if anyone wanted to do the walk and share a taxi and we ended up as a group of six.

The first ferry was not long after 8am so you need to be off the ship as soon as it docks.

Hope you make it.

On 31/05/2017 at 2:35 PM, willow_12 said:

Hi :)  We are going to the Norweigian Fjords on the Britannia, and one of the ports is Stavanger. We have seen the images of Pulpit Rock and would love to climb it. As far as i can see on the P&O excursions, we can only see the rock from water level. Has anyone ever climbed the rock and have any tips on if its even possible to get there in the limited port time?

Thank you both :) looking at our time in port, it does say we depart early afternoon. So i'm guessing we would have to be back on the ship by 4pm. I think we might just end up doing the tour you have mentioned Mugoob. A lot less chance of not getting back to the ship in time.