Sign in to follow this  
buddy

CUBA

I've just seen Holland America are another cruise line visiting Cuba. They have cruises on Veendam calling at Havana and the Caribbean and Florida which look interesting.

I hope tourism seriously starts to help their economy and it gives passengers another opportunity of visiting a new place

I'm sure it will bring a much needed cash injection and that it finds its way to some of the poorer areas, I just hope that it doesn't get spoilt as the people are so friendly. So unusual to leave an airport and not see the 'BIG M' as they seem to occupy all major tourist sites throughout the world

It will be interesting to see if the money generated from tourism will be funded back into the community. If tourism does pick up it will be a new place for people to visit, but let's hope that we don't then go and spoil Cuba as cruise chef has mentioned.

6 hours ago, cruise chef said:

I'm sure it will bring a much needed cash injection and that it finds its way to some of the poorer areas, I just hope that it doesn't get spoilt as the people are so friendly. So unusual to leave an airport and not see the 'BIG M' as they seem to occupy all major tourist sites throughout the world

It already is. For the last few years Cuba has been encouraging small businesses/ room rentals to travellers / restaurants that are able to make profits. Just go before the Americans start building hotels. They are to try to resist Big Mac and Coke but who knows. I did a cruise around the island a few years back with a 3 night stay in Havana and it was my best ever holiday. Lovely people, great colour, sights and music.

Years ago we did an Airtours cruise that went into Havana, what a lovely city, yes it was faded and needed renovation but lovely non the less.  We felt safe wandering around the city and when we got lost we never felt threatened.

It will be nice to go back to revisit, hope everyone else who goes enjoys it as we did