Sign in to follow this  
Chazzyt

Help with dress code for Norway cruise in November

We are going on a P&O cruise to Norway in November on the Aurora.Any advice on dress codes during the day and evening would be most welcome.Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum Chazzyt.

Best pick up a brochure or check out their web site?

But Basically you can wear what you feel appropriate during the day . After 6 they give you what that days evening dress code is . Mainly smart casual ,and a few Formal dress nights , which for ladies is a gown or cocktail dress .for men a lounge suite or Dinner Jacket ,Never been on Aurora so will look forwards for your review....Davybe  

Further to Davybe's post, in general there are 2 Formal Nights per week on Aurora.  At the beginning of the cruise you are given an overview sheet in your cabin which will show the dress code for each evening so that you can plan in advance.  Additionally, your cruise information before you go will confirm the number of Formal nights.  You mention that you are going to Norway in November, so obviously cold-weather gear will be essential!

further to davybe ladies can also wear smart seperates so smart trouser/skirt and top combo, doesnt have to be a dress on formal nights. For smart casual it will range from smart jeans to trousers with shirts for the men and casual dresses to smart jeans and top for ladies. I personally wear a long dress on the formal nights and short 'skater' style smart dressed on smart casual nights

54 minutes ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

In these days of continuous 'dumbing-down' -how lovely it woud be to see that on cruises there was more 'dressing-up'

Try Cunard .

Dumbing down just have a look at the trend setters TV personalities ,cruise lines follow customer trends ,Like it or not people prefer a casual dress code or one that gives you the choice of dressing how you want, ...Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

Try Cunard .

Dumbing down just have a look at the trend setters TV personalities ,cruise lines follow customer trends ,Like it or not people prefer a casual dress code or one that gives you the choice of dressing how you want, ...Davybe

Couldn't agree more Davybe. A cruise is a holiday, a time for relaxation and this has been recognised by many of the top cruise lines in adopting a smart country casual dress code. 

1 hour ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

If you have a wife who like to dress up a couple of times a year -then I feel it is right and proper in respect to her to do similarly. Once there is a slippage of standards it just carries on slipping. 

Completely agree.

3 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

If you have a wife who like to dress up a couple of times a year -then I feel it is right and proper in respect to her to do similarly. Once there is a slippage of standards it just carries on slipping. 

Your absolutely correct Anchors-aweigh, if your wife likes to dress up then you should support her. However I am having difficulty in seeing how adopting a smart dress code albeit Country Casual is a slippage of standards. Visit top restaurants in London such as The Ivy, The Peninsular, Anjanaas etc and you wont see a DJ other than on the waiters. Please don't confuse a different dress code with slippage of standards.

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Your absolutely correct Anchors-aweigh, if your wife likes to dress up then you should support her. However I am having difficulty in seeing how adopting a smart dress code albeit Country Casual is a slippage of standards. Visit top restaurants in London such as The Ivy, The Peninsular, Anjanaas etc and you wont see a DJ other than on the waiters. Please don't confuse a different dress code with slippage of standards.

Majority of mass market cruise lines have a standard as smart casual and depending on which cruise line you use can vary so much in people own dress standards. On one of our cruises on P&O smart casual was classified by some and never seen so many people wearing football shirts in MDR for dinner. One family wore football shirts and track suit trousers for the whole cruise and even on Formal nights we were amazed to be let in MDR for dinner and all they did is wore the jacket of the track suit on top of football shirt and was certainly not country casual.

Worth bearing in mind that most Cruise lines that have formal nights also have alternative dining venues that do not require you to follow the dress code ,some are free such as the Buffet and some you pay for ....Davybe

12 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Majority of mass market cruise lines have a standard as smart casual and depending on which cruise line you use can vary so much in people own dress standards. On one of our cruises on P&O smart casual was classified by some and never seen so many people wearing football shirts in MDR for dinner. One family wore football shirts and track suit trousers for the whole cruise and even on Formal nights we were amazed to be let in MDR for dinner and all they did is wore the jacket of the track suit on top of football shirt and was certainly not country casual.

We were on Oceans when someone commented about this man wearing a Football shirt. His reply was "I like it ,it fits me and it's nowt to do with you so XXXX off" ...Davybe

7 minutes ago, Davybe said:

We were on Oceans when someone commented about this man wearing a Football shirt. His reply was "I like it ,it fits me and it's nowt to do with you so XXXX off" ...Davybe

Only experienced this type of attitude and language on P&O and it does seem from this thread that the majority of bad experiences are on P&O, so glad I stopped sailing with them several years ago. On the 4/5 star cruise lines that have 'Country Casual' all the time people adhere to it. 

25 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

depending on which cruise line you use can vary so much in people own dress standards

Spot on sinbad10