Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Your Election Forecast

Just for the fun of it?

A very close election if we believe the polls ,and hard fought campaigns ,I tried the last week or so to avoid it apart  from when I watched the news.

My Prediction . Tory win with a slight increase in seat's and protest marches and demo's from the sore losers?

In Scotland Sturgeon may lose a couple of seats  ,and where I live in Wales Labour should do OK .

Any forecasts ......Davybe

Just reading that you can hide your face when voting ??  or take a selfie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40188494

The Tories came out with a lot of stuff in their manifesto that I was really unhappy with and therefore will not be voting for them.  Amber Rudd was also very offensive on Women's Hour the other day with regard to 'women of a certain age'.   I believe if the Tories win the increase in NI for the Self Employed that had to be chucked into touch following the outcry about the last manifesto, will take pride of place in the next Autumn Statement.    There will be a tough few years, whatever the outcome, for a lot of us.

What will be, will be.BUT I think if don't vote people want to rant afterwards, they should be told you gave up your opinion to be heard because you failed in your duty to vote or stand yourself if nobody's ideas were representative of you.

2 hours ago, Mayway said:

The Tories came out with a lot of stuff in their manifesto that I was really unhappy with and therefore will not be voting for them.  Amber Rudd was also very offensive on Women's Hour the other day with regard to 'women of a certain age'.   I believe if the Tories win the increase in NI for the Self Employed that had to be chucked into touch following the outcry about the last manifesto, will take pride of place in the next Autumn Statement.    There will be a tough few years, whatever the outcome, for a lot of us.

I mentioned on another thread they were brave or stupid to have that Manifesto ,Who ever thought this campaign up for the Tories needs sacking ,It offered very little hope for the future. 

Watching Corbyn Grow was interesting getting better as time went on.Will He or can h keep all those promises to spend someone else's money?

Watch one young woman last night who thought " If i go to UNI to get a better job ,Why should I pay for it??" to may promises of something for nothing, but it resonated with voters....Davybe

4 hours ago, Furby said:

I just wish people would use the votes they are entitled to, wether they are interested or not, do a bit of reading, and make an educated guess, how can it represent what the country wants when more poeple dont vote that do

Very true that Furby , we saw that with the britex vote ,and the losing  side always concoct a weird formula  that as only 60% voted then it was not a clear vote for leaving??...Davybe

6 hours ago, Terminator said:

Lots of hot air with quite a few drips...

I was hoping for a hung parliament ,or at least a few floggings  to sort them out....Davybe

The Tories fought a poor campaign but highlighted areas that do need a radical review, however unpalatable the truth is and for all her faults, Mrs May is still my preferred choice in looking after our national security than the rag bag of Marxists and lefties hiding quietly behind Corbyn's very carefully placed election mask!!

Labour reverted to type and promised a 'magic money tree' all paid for by the top 5% paying 'just a little bit more', if you believe that line then more fool you, everybody will have to pay for it in the years ahead and another visit cap in hand to the IMF is well on the cards, by which time the UK will be shot away and Len McCluskey calling the shots.

The LibDems disappeared and fought an election on the basis of overturning a vote we have all moved on from, while getting hung up on legalising cannabis, they really don't deserve more than 10 MP's and Tim Farron had zero gravitas.

After the last 6/7 weeks we all deserve a good cruise, happy sailings to one and all.

15 minutes ago, thecartoonman said:

The Tories fought a poor campaign but highlighted areas that do need a radical review, however unpalatable the truth is and for all her faults, Mrs May is still my preferred choice in looking after our national security than the rag bag of Marxists and lefties hiding quietly behind Corbyn's very carefully placed election mask!!

Labour reverted to type and promised a 'magic money tree' all paid for by the top 5% paying 'just a little bit more', if you believe that line then more fool you, everybody will have to pay for it in the years ahead and another visit cap in hand to the IMF is well on the cards, by which time the UK will be shot away and Len McCluskey calling the shots.

The LibDems disappeared and fought an election on the basis of overturning a vote we have all moved on from, while getting hung up on legalising cannabis, they really don't deserve more than 10 MP's and Tim Farron had zero gravitas.

After the last 6/7 weeks we all deserve a good cruise, happy sailings to one and all.

I agree that it may be a case that things will need to be paid for by everyone, I am certainly not a fool, but if these things are saving the nhs, getting more police on the street and higher education freely available to all, I would be happy to pay a bit more towards those things, helped along by getting money out of those that have been dodging taxes for years.

It's not the public who have been dodging paying their dues over the past few years, about time someone sorted out all those big companies who avoid paying the UK taxes, if they coughed up then we could have more of everything. The borrowing tree won't work and its almost brought us to our knees in the past!!! When all said and done it doesn't matter which Political party you vote for as they will always break their promises & cost you more!!!!!

17 minutes ago, Furby said:

I agree that it may be a case that things will need to be paid for by everyone, I am certainly not a fool, but if these things are saving the nhs, getting more police on the street and higher education freely available to all, I would be happy to pay a bit more towards those things, helped along by getting money out of those that have been dodging taxes for years.

To many people believe that everything should be free to use, All the services we rely on cost a lot of money to run .and throwing money at it is not always the answer .But in complete agreement with you we should  all be paying a bit more ,but listen to the howling if they increase taxes or NI contributions.

Saw one fat slob the other day  who had never worked and admitted he voted labour because he would be able to stay on benefits.Politicians love to pander to the lost causes  it means they have no decisions to make....Davybe

I am concerned that if Labour have any say in our next government then we will be back to the 1970's with mortgage rates at 14 and 15%, food shortages and the unions calling strikes every 5 minutes, we will have no top 5% as they will all have moved out of the country. Companies that are expected to pay a higher corporate tax will also move out, then who will provide the jobs for the working person. The conservatives may not have all the answers but I trust them more. I have lived through that once and don't want to do it again. Let's keep the lights on this time.

49 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

I am concerned that if Labour have any say in our next government then we will be back to the 1970's with mortgage rates at 14 and 15%, food shortages and the unions calling strikes every 5 minutes, we will have no top 5% as they will all have moved out of the country. Companies that are expected to pay a higher corporate tax will also move out, then who will provide the jobs for the working person. The conservatives may not have all the answers but I trust them more. I have lived through that once and don't want to do it again. Let's keep the lights on this time.

Or do you mean Black Wednesday in 1992 when interest rates were at 12% after Britain left ERM John Major did walkabouts and disappeared and Norman Lamont lost the plot. Oh yes that was the Conservatives funny how you only remember the 70s and Labour but conveniently forgot the 1990s and how poor the Conservatives were. 

Edited by sinbad10

5 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

Or do you mean Black Wednesday in 1992 when interest rates were at 12% after Britain left ERM John Major did walkabouts and disappeared and Norman Lamont lost the plot. Oh yes that was the Conservatives funny how you only remember the 70s and Labour but conveniently forgot the 1990s and how poor the Conservatives were. 

there are good and bad in both, but I would rather look to the future than what they did in the past. this constant bashing of the parties it what makes me avoid it but this campaign has been kept relativly bashing free which has led me to take more of an interest, previous times it has seemed like school children argueing in the play ground 'well you did this wrong' ' well you did that wrong' 'well that was your fault' and not actually discussing what needs doing and how they will do it

2 hours ago, Furby said:

there are good and bad in both, but I would rather look to the future than what they did in the past. this constant bashing of the parties it what makes me avoid it but this campaign has been kept relativly bashing free which has led me to take more of an interest, previous times it has seemed like school children argueing in the play ground 'well you did this wrong' ' well you did that wrong' 'well that was your fault' and not actually discussing what needs doing and how they will do it

I agree you cannot change or live in the past you have to look to the future. I have always found that Tories always remember the bad things about Labour but conveniently forget about their bad things and Labour voters exactly the same but the other way round.

15 hours ago, Davybe said:

To many people believe that everything should be free to use, All the services we rely on cost a lot of money to run .and throwing money at it is not always the answer .But in complete agreement with you we should  all be paying a bit more ,but listen to the howling if they increase taxes or NI contributions.

Saw one fat slob the other day  who had never worked and admitted he voted labour because he would be able to stay on benefits.Politicians love to pander to the lost causes  it means they have no decisions to make....Davybe

In Denmark they pay high taxes but everything is covered - from the cradle to the grave - childcare, maternity leave, elderly care etc etc.  In this country we pay low taxes, to give people 'more in their pockets to spend as they need/want'.   Unfortunately far too many don't 'want' to spend on things that they 'need', simply because we have a health service and systems which make us think everything should be 'free'.  In many cases the richer we are the less we think we need to contribute to anything - and so it goes on.   We need a government who has the balls to give the whole system a complete overhaul, but that won't happen.   

In the meantime big corporations and the rich will use clever lawyers to pay as little into the system as they can, whilst still reaping all the 'rewards'.   

Bit Surprised by the exit poles ,which seem to have again got the result right.

Wonder what will happen next Will the Tories form the next government and will May hang on or resign at some time?

Sturgeon position looks dodgy in Scotland , Not too sad about that.Wales small gains for Labour .

Just shows what can happen when the youngsters turn out ,we will no doubt see demos if the Tories remain in government, suppose there will be no chance of the twp main parties working together for the sake the nation .....Davybe

7 minutes ago, Mayway said:

In Denmark they pay high taxes but everything is covered - from the cradle to the grave - childcare, maternity leave, elderly care etc etc.  In this country we pay low taxes, to give people 'more in their pockets to spend as they need/want'.   Unfortunately far too many don't 'want' to spend on things that they 'need', simply because we have a health service and systems which make us think everything should be 'free'.  In many cases the richer we are the less we think we need to contribute to anything - and so it goes on.   We need a government who has the balls to give the whole system a complete overhaul, but that won't happen.   

In the meantime big corporations and the rich will use clever lawyers to pay as little into the system as they can, whilst still reaping all the 'rewards'.   

Some excellent points well made.

As we will no doubt today see the selfish self interest from the politicians ,The Trouble is the press look on any politician  who admits they got it wrong as being weak?

I Labour had won ,and they may yet do so ,  corbyn who with no chance according to the polls made all sorts of promises  had to put our money where his mouth is would be thinking this morning....Davybe

Until their manifestly unfair manifesto I was actually (and this is a really, really big thing for me) going to vote for the Tories.  I thought Mrs May perhaps had the chutzpah to pull off a decent Brexit.   However, when you read a manifesto like that (I know, I am a sad person) and see how the only people who would really suffer (as always) would be those people in the middle, I realized that we're still not 'all in this together'. The people living on benefits - including the people who have children they cannot afford - would continue as is, with no party doing the decent thing and trying to sort it out; the rich would continue as is, because let's face it, none of what happens ultimately affects them and the conservatives certainly aren't willing to make them more accountable.   So, law abiding, tax paying, middle England looked like taking the brunt of it again.

Mrs May ran a really poor campaign - she believed the hype and thought she could, following the election, basically do what she wanted - thankfully she's had a wake up call.

Edited by Mayway