The Seven Seas

Afternoon Tea On Cruise Ships

I spotted this topic on another forum I was browsing and thought it would be interesting to see the response of members on here. Would you miss the afternoon tea service offered on several cruise lines if it was ever to be removed? Or do you feel that there is plenty of food going in the buffet, alfresco grills that serve burgers, hot dogs etc that afternoon tea is not needed?

I was only aware of cunard doing a seperate served afternoon tea as such, I know p&o have afternoon tea options in the buffet but not a served afternoon tea? I think fred olsen do it too, but dont think any of the big american ones do? correct me if i am wrong lol, its a very british tradition.

I really enjoy afternoon tea on P&O and Cunard and would miss it.  I don't have a lot - usually just a scone with jam & cream and maybe a small cake, all washed down with some Earl Grey.  It really is a tradition that I would like to see kept.

6 minutes ago, Furby said:

I was only aware of cunard doing a seperate served afternoon tea as such, I know p&o have afternoon tea options in the buffet but not a served afternoon tea? I think fred olsen do it too, but dont think any of the big american ones do? correct me if i am wrong lol, its a very british tradition.

P&O have afternoon tea served in one of the dining rooms every afternoon - usually at 4.00.  Fred Olsen serve a full afternoon tea in their observation lounges but this is chargeable - around £7 I think. They do self-serve sandwiches and cakes elsewhere on the ship for free.  One or two American Lines used to serve an occasional tea service but I am not sure if they still do (Celebrity & Holland America spring to mind).

P&O do indeed serve afternoon tea in one of the restaurants, they always have to my knowledge and I've been sailing with them since the 80's.

AFC I had the same problem as you with the quotes a couple of weeks ago, I have no idea why you can't get rid of them .. very annoying.

I'm sure it can easily be missed Furby I rarely look at the dining times in the daily paper which is where it is listed other than on the first day, I suppose it is just one of those things I knew because when I first started cruising there was no 'all day' dining, once lunch finished that was it until the evening unless you fancied afternoon tea, one thing I do miss is the fabulous 'midnight buffets' they used to do, especially on Cunard they were magnificent. 

7 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I'm sure it can easily be missed Furby I rarely look at the dining times in the daily paper which is where it is listed other than on the first day, I suppose it is just one of those things I knew because when I first started cruising there was no 'all day' dining, once lunch finished that was it until the evening unless you fancied afternoon tea, one thing I do miss is the fabulous 'midnight buffets' they used to do, especially on Cunard they were magnificent. 

could not agree more, midnight buffet was brilliant, and chocoholics lunch they used to do, that used to be served in the main dining room, its in the buffet now i think

I believe that the likes of Oceania, Silversea, Princess, Holland America and Saga do afternoon tea (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I know that the afternoon on board Saga is free of charge but not sure if any of these are chargeable like on board Fred Olsen or Eric Landlard's afternoon tea on Britannia. I do agree with Furby that it is more of a British tradition, but I do think it would be a shame to get rid of this as sometimes you can'T beat a jam and cream scone with a cup of tea.

23 minutes ago, The Seven Seas said:

I believe that the likes of Oceania, Silversea, Princess, Holland America and Saga do afternoon tea (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I know that the afternoon on board Saga is free of charge but not sure if any of these are chargeable like on board Fred Olsen or Eric Landlard's afternoon tea on Britannia. I do agree with Furby that it is more of a British tradition, but I do think it would be a shame to get rid of this as sometimes you can'T beat a jam and cream scone with a cup of tea.

100% agree there, especially a scone with cornish clotted cream :rolleyes:

Fred do a nice afternoon tea in the buffet restaurant and (I think) in one of the main restaurants - I am not sure as when we fancy some, we generally just do the buffet as the buffet on Fred is lovely with nicely laid tables and napkins and lovely waiters who seat you so it is not a scrummage.   They also, as someone has mentioned do a 'posh' afternoon tea once (or more often for a longer cruise) up in the Observatory - which is beautifully done at about £7 a head I think.

Fred also still do an 11 pm 'snack come small feast 'again in the buffet, which is usually very well attended - and very nice it is too

For me Cunard do the best afternoon tea, we often skip lunch to have afternoon tea,I don't think  it has the same sense of occasion on other cruise lines,P and O do have afternoon tea in one of the dinning rooms, but lacks something for us, only my view.

would be sad to see it scraped 

On our previous 10 HAL cruises we failed to attend the afternoon teas in the dining room. We prefer the afternoon lemonade on the AFT pool deck instead!

3 hours ago, Furby said:

Very true Furby, very British going back to Victorian times and of course the Raj in India. It is a tradition that will in the end die out. Great on sea days but who on earth would want to rush back on board from a beautiful port just for afternoon tea when in a few hours you would be having dinner!!!

Most cruise lines do it including Disney and Royal Caribbean, indeed I don't know one that doesn't.

I enjoy the Tea but not the eating, we did it years ago but as we prefer to eat dinner early then we were both struggling with dinner, The tea served by Cunard is the nicest I have tried.

Hope The cruise lines who do afternoon tea keep it up ....Davybe

I saw that P&O are going to stop serving afternoon tea. I've never tried it as we usually have 1st sitting and I wouldn't be able to eat my evening meal if I had sandwiches and cakes a few hours before. I was hoping to try it on our Cunard cruise next year, so hopefully they won't stop it too.

20 hours ago, cruise chef said:

Echo that Davybe, why shouldnt they keep an old tradition, I tried it with friends on board Crystal and it rivalled Betty's in Harrogate

Tried the Celebrity version for Captain's club members , not very good at all never attended another,If I ever get to Harrogate we make sure I try Betty's....Davybe

On 6/8/2017 at 5:35 PM, Tally said:

I saw that P&O are going to stop serving afternoon tea. I've never tried it as we usually have 1st sitting and I wouldn't be able to eat my evening meal if I had sandwiches and cakes a few hours before. I was hoping to try it on our Cunard cruise next year, so hopefully they won't stop it too.

You need to try it at least once, that is their own blend ,and the food is brought round which is Ok but not to die for? Try to go on a port day ,on sea days you can end up queuing......Davybe