Hello fellow cruisers! :rolleyes:

We haven't been cruising for a couple of years due to health problems, so are a little out of practice. We are shortly to go on a P&O cruise for 17 nights and have been pondering about the tips. What is the general feeling on paying the set amount P&O charge of £6 pppd or giving cash to individuals? If so how much? I must admit it seems easier to pay the set amount, but just wondered what all of you experts think. Thanks in anticipation, Janie 

Edited by Janiem

Brilliant, many thanks! My gut feeling is to stick with the add on as it feels a fairer way as there are so many hard working people behind the scenes that we never see. On previous cruises we have used the envelope system, but I always worried that we weren't giving enough. After all, you can still reward anyone individually if you wish. Thanks again.

25 minutes ago, Janiem said:

Brilliant, many thanks! My gut feeling is to stick with the add on as it feels a fairer way as there are so many hard working people behind the scenes that we never see. On previous cruises we have used the envelope system, but I always worried that we weren't giving enough. After all, you can still reward anyone individually if you wish. Thanks again.

The best advice is to go with your gut feeling Janiem.

Me personally now tip individually, I am a strong believer that the cruiseline should pay a decent wage rather than rely on us guests to bolster crews income, which appears to becoming the norm across the board at present.

Some Carnival brands (not P&O as yet) also add a 15% service charge on top of the gratuity, pure greed in my opinion.

HLM.

We allowed the auto tipping to take care of our tips on P&O  and gave our waiters extra well worth it IMO.We Booked the select fare which gave us quite a bit of OBC which more than covered the tips and some wine.people who booked the saver fare may see it differently.

But we spoke with people who opted out and claimed to pay who they wanted,what they wanted.I did see one girl being verbally bullied into removing her tip's .

It is very much an individual choice ...Davybe

I strongly believe that the cruise lines should pay a good wage to all employees  , included in holiday price, and not expect the passengers contribution to bolster this.

At present we stop the daily tariff and tip individuals.

But I am wondering how long cruise lines will allow us to do this

It is possible to opt out of the automatic tipping and give to individuals as wanted  this does mean that some staff are not covered especially if you have freedom dining and have a different waiter each night.  It is up to you as an individual and depends on your budget. Happy cruising. Our next cruise is seprtember our 12 or 13th   Always with p and o. 

If you think a total in excess of £200 for this holiday is fair then by all means pay it. This daily amount has increased steadily over the last few years to a point where I think it is extortionate. When you have designated dining times you were assured of the same waiters and therefore the individual tipping worked and rewarded all those that gave you the personal service.

For our part we always opt out of the statutory tipping and reward our individual services accordingly, it all depends on your views towards this issue.

The sooner the cruise lines pay a living wage and reasonable working conditions the better. It's fine for them all to offer on board spending money to entice you to the holiday, but then they take it all away with the recommended tipping regime!

I personnally never understood pre paying for Gratituies. How can you pre-pay for tips on service you haven't yet recieved. I have no problem paying 15% service charge on service recieved. If I purchase an item and 15% is added, then that is fine. If exceptional service is given, add extra; but standard pre-paid gratituies don't ensure good service, as no incentive is given to the staff to provide "Above & beyond" service. PPG's (Pre-Paid gratituies) are a tool used by Cruise companies to lower wages. Most companies hire hotel staff for cruise ships on a guaranteed monthly income and wages vary hugely, from $800-$3,500 USD, depending on role/ experience/ country of hire, etc; However this doesn't tell the full story as this income is given only as a guarantee as it includes expected PPG reciepts & in fact most are on a salary of between $50USD- $1500 per month and the rest is made up of the expected PPG's generated. That is on contracts often stating 140 hours per 2 weeks must be fulfilled, so that is a wage of between 16cent or 12p per hour & $5 or £3.90 ph. The company you cruise with have to pay any shortfall inbetween. Now If you were on a cruise say for 2 weeks and were expected to pay Gratuites of €10 USD pp per day, thats $280 USD per couple or approx £220 pounds. I would always advise to remove the gratuities before the cruise, or on embrakation & set aside that money to those who give you good service, ie, your room steward/waiter/bar server/tender/purser. I personally usaully give £50 per week in cash to my room steward & £30-£50 if I dine in the same restaurant for breakfask/lunch/dinner, the rest I give for bar service/pursers etc in envlopes at the end of my cruise, with the persons name on it.

By doing this , you incentivise good service and create a tipping culture that makes sure the best gets rewarded; whereas the current PPG's pay all a precentage, regardless of how good a job they did.

I also can't understand the prepaid concept. The idea is to reward and encourage staff to give good service. We always used to tip staff directly,  but when prepaid tipping was first introduced we did a cruise and decided to go along with it and not tip extra at all - when we left the restaurant on the last night I felt so mean I would never do that again. So to be fair to all staff we now ask for our automatic tips to be halved and then tip individually. As a norm we would give £20 each to the wine waiter and main waiter and £10 to the other waiter. We usually give the cabin steward £20 if they have been ok, if not then £10, but usually they are all amazing. We may also give a fiver here and there. I know the cruise line should pay a decent wage, but we would never leave a restaurant without tipping. Happy cruising

many of the people posting seem to prefer to cancel the gratuity charge in favourite of tipping individuals giving good service. I don't have any argument with that, but wonder how many tip the kitchen staff who work tirelessly to provide the wonderful food served during the cruise. After all, like the waiters and cabin stewards they are doing the job they voluntarily signed on for.

We have just returned from a cruise on P&O Arcadia which was great.

Our policy on tipping is to halve the pre-paid gratuity charge and then make individual payments to the staff who have given

extra service. i.e bar staff, waiters and cabin stewards. This works for us

We always leave the gratuities on, the crew deserve it. The P & O gratuity charge of £6 a day is one of the lowest in the industry. Cunard is $11.50 and Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are $13.50 a day. I can't really understand people complaining about £6 a day and then buying a bottle of wine for circa £17.

Hi, I believe that tipping for good service is fine, but I also believe it's my prerogative to give the tip personally to the service provider. My experience of the standards of cruise ship staff service is all very good and I agree with other forum members who advocate that the staff should receive a wage reflecting the quality of service they provide. 

7 hours ago, Fairview said:

If you think a total in excess of £200 for this holiday is fair then by all means pay it. This daily amount has increased steadily over the last few years to a point where I think it is extortionate. When you have designated dining times you were assured of the same waiters and therefore the individual tipping worked and rewarded all those that gave you the personal service.

For our part we always opt out of the statutory tipping and reward our individual services accordingly, it all depends on your views towards this issue.

The sooner the cruise lines pay a living wage and reasonable working conditions the better. It's fine for them all to offer on board spending money to entice you to the holiday, but then they take it all away with the recommended tipping regime!

If as you suggest and by the way I agree,that the cruise lines should pay the staff more then the fare would increase and you would have to pay if you wish to travel,then in reality there would be little or no difference to what younow pay if you include tips.To me its a no brainer ,leave them on unless the idea is to pay less than the recommended amount.People should at least be honest about this.

I pay my tips to the people who have made my cruise special, I don't agree with a fixed rate per day. If cruise companies want this, they should include it in the price of the ticket.