On 6/18/2017 at 3:07 PM, Darkstar said:

We have just returned from a cruise on P&O Arcadia which was great.

Our policy on tipping is to halve the pre-paid gratuity charge and then make individual payments to the staff who have given

extra service. i.e bar staff, waiters and cabin stewards. This works for us

We do exactly that.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, RobBar said:

$140 in my monies for two of you for I assume a week, sounds fine to my mind. I can remember the days of monies and envelopes, felt like  a banker or the foreman counting out pay on the plantation at end of week  . In our case we always had to exchange for ships currency prior to boarding . So I appreciate the auto gratuity system ( in fact one day the ATM ran out of monies on the last day leaving a bunch or folks upset)  and I still ask for envelopes for rewarding those I directly interact with who have helped us. The current system will not o away for a long time and if it did people would still question why the increased price. As you and I know this topic will always surface ...

Have a great day ,.,,, least mine just started   

Correction - the automatic service charge applied is £84 PER PERSON, not per couple. So that makes a total of £168 per couple, I think that would work out at about $280 in your monies? Don't know about you but, whatever currency you use, that's a lot of money to me!! (We're not paid so well this side of the pond!).

Edited by Dirk62

I should like to know who receives the gratuities.   Does anyone know a person employed by the cruise companies to be able to tell us?

We usually cancel one gratuity and pay the cabin steward an envelope.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, Dirk62 said:

Correction - the automatic service charge applied is £84 PER PERSON, not per couple. So that makes a total of £168 per couple, I think that would work out at about $280 in your monies? Don't know about you but, whatever currency you use, that's a lot of money to me!! (We're not paid so well this side of the pond!).

I am retired and get  about 50 % of what I originally earned. More to the point is that I consider gratuities a low percentage compared to my total cruise expense which in our case always includes hotels , flights and cruise. On our last cruise on QV of 17 days in April 2017 we paid $408  US approximate or $530 CDN  which is about  £265 converted . Our cruise fare alone was $7,500 CDN for a balcony and including airfare and hotels it came to about $13,000 CDN ., so our gratuities were 4 % of the total, which I consider acceptable, my drinks bill was higher.

If I spend 17 nights having supper in a large scale hotel  in London, the service charge or tips would be far more .. let alone the drink bill :)

As I said prior , this is a never ending topic and we all make choices

Edited by RobBar

4 hours ago, RobBar said:

I am retired and get  about 50 % of what I originally earned. More to the point is that I consider gratuities a low percentage compared to my total cruise expense which in our case always includes hotels , flights and cruise. On our last cruise on QV of 17 days in April 2017 we paid $408  US approximate or $530 CDN  which is about  £265 converted . Our cruise fare alone was $7,500 CDN for a balcony and including airfare and hotels it came to about $13,000 CDN ., so our gratuities were 4 % of the total, which I consider acceptable, my drinks bill was higher.

If I spend 17 nights having supper in a large scale hotel  in London, the service charge or tips would be far more .. let alone the drink bill :)

As I said prior , this is a never ending topic and we all make choices

Of course if you have a lower cabin grade then the cost of gratuities is a bigger percentage of your cruise cost which then makes a difference to your argument.

3 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Of course if you have a lower cabin grade then the cost of gratuities is a bigger percentage of your cruise cost which then makes a difference to your argument.

I am not arguing , only identifying how I look at things. Of course the percentage would go up and had it been an inner cabin vs. a balcony then it would be up a  0.01 % (5 % instead of 4 % )  as it was a Cunard voyage in Britannia class (regular)  not Grills or such.   Note: I did not include my on-board purchases :)

We decided to leave the tips on our account on our recent Britannia cruise. The main factor for making this decision is that we didn't come prepared with cash sterling and only changed money onboard into Norwegian Krone. However, I did feel slightly awkward when saying goodbye to our cabin steward and not handing anything over to her. We did let her know we had left our tips on - I just hope she did receive her fair share. In the future I would always tip cash in hand and definitly at least the recommended amount.

Problem I have amongst many others the number of passengers on ships when sailing full is usually the same number but over the years there has been a decrease in staff on most cruise ships so the amount collected is still the same but is divided between less staff. This gives cruise companies 2 options is ALL the extra money still divided between staff giving them another increase on top of the annual increase in gratuities/service charge OR has the extra money collected  not being given to staff and kept by the cruise companies to boost profit. The cynical side in me knows which I think happens you can make your own mind up which you believe.

p.s if it is given to the staff in total and on top of the increases in gratuities on P&O this last few years then the staff have had some very good wage increases:ph34r:

5 hours ago, willow_12 said:

We decided to leave the tips on our account on our recent Britannia cruise. The main factor for making this decision is that we didn't come prepared with cash sterling and only changed money onboard into Norwegian Krone. However, I did feel slightly awkward when saying goodbye to our cabin steward and not handing anything over to her. We did let her know we had left our tips on - I just hope she did receive her fair share. In the future I would always tip cash in hand and definitly at least the recommended amount.

You should not feel awkward as you my well have paid more than was in many of the envelopes. I do know what you mean, however.

The problem with tipping is it is viewed in different ways depending on where in the world you come from. In the UK we have a 'National Minimum Wage' which is applicable to all employment where as in the USA there are two levels. The lower is for those in the service industry such as waiters, waitresses, bar tenders and the like where it is accepted their wages are enhanced by the tips they receive. Here in the UK we tip according to the level of service we receive hence we cringe at the level of gratuity recommended especially on the American ships. It is therefore not a level playing field thus the discussions will continue until cruise lines make it 'All Inclusive' as  NCL have done.  

Tipping, why, why, why?

To those who tip; did you tip the Captain and bridge crew for a safe and enjoyable cruise, or perhaps the engineering department for keeping the ship running so smoothly, maybe the entertainment team for all their hard work and efforts in providing you with entertainment, perhaps the security officers for keeping you safe during these trying times?  The list is endless! Those who tip pander to any company who pay poor wages, in their eyes, to the least important people.

Think about being on shore, did you tip the M&S employee who helped you with shopping, or the super market employee who maybe helped you to your car, the MacDonalds or Costa employee who served you a coffee, the shopping assistant in your local high street store when you made a purchase, the medical centre doctors and nurses who look after your health? Again the list is endless, so why hospitality staff on cruise ships?

As long as you generously tip, the cruise company will not need to pay a fair wage. It's that simple.

Those who tip do please remember each time you generously tip, it's your fault and only your fault, the cruise companies do not need to pay a fair wage.

31 minutes ago, John1942 said:

Tipping, why, why, why?

To those who tip; did you tip the Captain and bridge crew for a safe and enjoyable cruise, or perhaps the engineering department for keeping the ship running so smoothly, maybe the entertainment team for all their hard work and efforts in providing you with entertainment, perhaps the security officers for keeping you safe during these trying times?  The list is endless! Those who tip pander to any company who pay poor wages, in their eyes, to the least important people.

Think about being on shore, did you tip the M&S employee who helped you with shopping, or the super market employee who maybe helped you to your car, the MacDonalds or Costa employee who served you a coffee, the shopping assistant in your local high street store when you made a purchase, the medical centre doctors and nurses who look after your health? Again the list is endless, so why hospitality staff on cruise ships?

As long as you generously tip, the cruise company will not need to pay a fair wage. It's that simple.

Those who tip do please remember each time you generously tip, it's your fault and only your fault, the cruise companies do not need to pay a fair wage.

I sort of agree with what you're saying John, although I do tip onboard a ship and on land to those who I feel deserve a little extra, milkman, postman, binmen etc,etc.

My biggest gripe is being advised or told what I should give as cruiselines do and more and more commonly restaurants automatically adding a tip to my bill at home.

HLM.