Sign in to follow this  
Pesky Pirate

Secrets of your cruise

Not worth the effort to watch ,looks like someone took the Guardian article and worked it for TV ,

Another down with cruises forgetting that most of the goods moved around the world are sent by sea, but no mention  of how much those container ships and oil tankers pollute the planet , just cruise ships...Davybe

Whether you agree with the sentiments of this programme and its accuracy just ignoring the subject just because we all love cruising is wrong. Turning a blind eye to illegal dumping rubbish at sea  i.e. MSC and Princess and also cruise companies make enough profit they should be making sure that all their cruise ships are up to date and fitted with the best engine and filtering systems available so that they can stop using heavy oil fuel and damaging the atmosphere with pollutant gases and dumping grey water at sea which is damaging our wildlife and seas. Nobody knows what really goes on and what is dumped at sea in the middle of the night when we are all asleep and we all have a responsibility to save and protect the world we live in. Cannot be right to turn a blind eye while lying by a pool on deck knowing the ship is polluting the atmosphere we breathe. Ask anyone to lie on a sunbed and sunbathe in the middle of London and everybody would agree it is disgusting with fumes and gases so why should a cruise ship be any different when it could be a lot worse for everyones health and the well being of the world.

What they need to do is a full analysis of all shipping and get accurate results over a specific time frame to see what effect it has on the environment rather than base it on a couple of days on one cruise ship. 

In relation to dumping at sea, which in itself is atrocious, is this cruise companies just trying to get out of paying port charges to have waste taken away and dealt with properly, who knows. 

The dirty water bit that they were taking about, in it's self is disgusting and would effect marine wildlife as would toilet waste. Yet how many people put the dirty water down the sink. Ok not in the same combination as was shown on this program but we all do it in one form or another. However, again cruise ships should not be held totally guilty as the tankers, as mentioned above, are as much at fault. 

So whilst I am not saying that cruise ships should be allowed to do what they do, I think that a full environmental impact assessment should be carried out on all shipping, including their waste management processes. This should also include undercover visits to ensure that any codes of practice are not being violated.

i must say that I do feel for the residents who are going to subjected to the emissions from ships docked in London when that starts.

just a thought...

17 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Whether you agree with the sentiments of this programme and its accuracy just ignoring the subject just because we all love cruising is wrong. Turning a blind eye to illegal dumping rubbish at sea  i.e. MSC and Princess and also cruise companies make enough profit they should be making sure that all their cruise ships are up to date and fitted with the best engine and filtering systems available so that they can stop using heavy oil fuel and damaging the atmosphere with pollutant gases and dumping grey water at sea which is damaging our wildlife and seas. Nobody knows what really goes on and what is dumped at sea in the middle of the night when we are all asleep and we all have a responsibility to save and protect the world we live in. Cannot be right to turn a blind eye while lying by a pool on deck knowing the ship is polluting the atmosphere we breathe. Ask anyone to lie on a sunbed and sunbathe in the middle of London and everybody would agree it is disgusting with fumes and gases so why should a cruise ship be any different when it could be a lot worse for everyones health and the well being of the world.

Morning Sinbad.

Both companies caught dumping waste illegally were fined quite heavily  ,other cruise lines caught polluting also get fined ,Overall I think cruise lines do take there environmental  responsibility  very seriously . Some ships cannot be updated to produce a cleaner exhaust and are sold on or scrapped ,the newer ships will burn cleaner fuels to produce pollution .

Having said that Britannia does produce a right oily /sooty mess which lands on part's of the deck??.

Everything that burns a fuel to produce power causes pollution ,even Electric cars have at some stage produced solution to make the power...Davybe

Having worked for an organisation that was the subject of an undercover 'expose', I deliberately did not watch this.  They obviously start from a factual basis but at the end of the day, are looking to make 'good' or controversial TV.  Naturally I agree that cruise ships must limit any type of pollution but I also agree that sadly we all pollute the world we live in one way or another.

TOO TRUE afcandrew, I'm sure the expose programmes never target the cars or buses that run on our roads at home, I am aware from watching several programmes that some of the companies have made great strides in reducing pollution as the likes of Singapore have strict controls on this and thr ships have to meet minimum requirements. Typical sensational TV