CJW

P&O Cruises to remove tea and coffee making facilities from cabins

I would be very disappointed if P&O removed the tea/coffee facilities from staterooms.  It is a luxury to awake and sit in bed looking out to sea/land with a cup of tea and still in your pyjamas.  I hate the crush of the self service cafeteria and  room service cannot bring you a hot drink within minutes of waking.   If it is a safety issue then surely taking out kettles that have been PAC tested for electricity safety will only lead to more passengers smuggling in untested electrical devices.   I have never been able to understand why I am allowed to take my heated hair straighteners which by far, if left plugged in, are a fire hazard but not an electric kettle.

We havevalways cruised with p and o beacausevodf the tea/coffee making facilities. Although youncan getndrinks  fronm the self service itbis not easy carrying them back to your cabin when you walk with a stick. Ns we like a coffee in the morning when we wake up  not when room service  wakes us. Please dont take the kettkes away  or we will have to change cruise lines hope azura still has kettles in september.

To be honest, we have just returned from 18 nights and didn't use the kettle once. With the kettle, box with tea/coffee and all the mini-bar items stacked on the small dressing table it made it totally unusable as a dressing table. not even room to fit a make up bag or hair-brush.

Not having Tea and Coffee making facilities in the cabin may be an inconvenience but it is not enough to make me stop cruising with P&O. We take our own speciality teas and make our own tea in the buffett with their hot water and mugs.

Not long ago there was a fuss because Cunard where going to put tea/coffee making in the cabins so I can't imagine P & O taking them out but you never know.    I NEED my early morning cuppa and will definitely pack own kettle if that is the only way I am going to get one.

I believe the respondents to this topic have revealed the truth about P&O and their future business plan. The shift towards a 3star Butlins at sea with no consideration to loyalty. We have been loyal with over 450 sea days with them.  No more. The cost of moving to the premium market and once again enjoying the holiday for us is money well spent.

On 7/19/2017 at 5:17 PM, *Dancing Queen* said:

Oh my goodness .. there will be 'mutiny' if this is true :o

Most definitely. No substitute for being able to brew up at a time of your choosing whether it be first thing of a morning or when you retreat to your cabin after a hard day sunbathing. 

It may seem a petty thing but I honestly could see people, maybe even myself, thinking twice about sticking with P&O

4 hours ago, Pompey cruiser said:

Funny MSC are going to put kettles in the cabins for ex UK sailing. If P&O remove the kettles will they reintroduce the early morning wake up tea service from the steward.

I'm sure they will introduce morning tea service, I'm also sure that it will come at a price, in line with everything P&O seem to be doing now.

HLM.

No kettles if you want an early morning cuppa!!  Something else being removed on P&O. In a suite, we have lost iron and ironing board. trouser press. suite check-in desk.  Take anything else away and there won't be any point in booking  a suite.

1 hour ago, Woodhey said:

Most definitely. No substitute for being able to brew up at a time of your choosing whether it be first thing of a morning or when you retreat to your cabin after a hard day sunbathing. 

It may seem a petty thing but I honestly could see people, maybe even myself, thinking twice about sticking with P&O

Sorry Woodhey I was joking when I said there would be mutiny, it makes no difference to me as I never use the kettle but I appreciate a lot of people do like to make a 'cuppa' and I'm sure P&O realise this, at the moment this is just hearsay I think it is highly unlikely it will happen, why would Carnival be putting kettles in cabins on Cunard and removing them on P&O ?? it doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, Woodhey said:

Whom would you book with?

8 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

Sorry Woodhey I was joking when I said there would be mutiny, it makes no difference to me as I never use the kettle but I appreciate a lot of people do like to make a 'cuppa' and I'm sure P&O realise this, at the moment this is just hearsay I think it is highly unlikely it will happen, why would Carnival be putting kettles in cabins on Cunard and removing them on P&O ?? it doesn't make sense.

Perhaps they are swapping them over :D:D

was on Aurora in june I didn't hear anything about this, do hope not.

we have travelled with both p&o and cunard.   ( cunard do not have tea/coffee in their staterooms ) but I do prefer to have a kettle to be honest in my stateroom first thing in the morning a nice cuppa you cant beat it! hate costa coffee anyway wouldn't drink that if you paid me.

I had room service breakfast once and the tea was cold by the time you got it. If the staff are waiting on everyone then there is no chance of getting a hot cuppa plus I bet you will have to pay for it before too long. The website for p and o states that tea and coffee facilities are in each cabin.

Sammy Sun has an interesting observation re P&O versus NCL going 'all inclusive' although note that there are exceptions to the inclusions. However have you checked the prices that NCL are now charging for the privilege of basically eliminating grats and including drinks (wine only by the glass sadly) which represent most of the added value. A 9 night Fjords cruise on 'Norwegian Jade' in June 2018 has a lead in balcony rate of £2209 (incl early booking discount) whereas a 7 nighter on 'Azura' is £1029 with £70 OBC. As a fairer comparison, that equates to £245 per night on NCL and £147 per night on P&O. Add on grats and allow for a bottle of wine shared amongst 2 and a couple of drinks/coffees -  say £35 per day and NCL are still more than £60 per day more expensive. Personally I can't and wouldn't want to drink that difference!

In any event having recently returned from a trip on 'Norwegian Jade' which was one of our favourite ships, we were very disappointed and felt that standards had slipped badly; certainly it didn't match up to a trip we did on 'Aurora' last December. I think NCL will find that they have scored an own goal with this change, but time will tell.