CJW

P&O Cruises to remove tea and coffee making facilities from cabins

We are looking at booking another cruise on P&O following many enjoyable cruises with them over the years. We're very excited, as expected, apart from something a work friend has just told me. Basically, his friends have just returned from a P&O Cruise and they have said that P&O have plans to remove all tea and coffee making facilities from cabins.

I understand that you can get a coffee from the bars and restaurants which are practically open all day, but I'd still be quite annoyed if this is true. Does anybody know if this is true or could he be mistaken?

4 minutes ago, CJW said:

We are looking at booking another cruise on P&O following many enjoyable cruises with them over the years. We're very excited, as expected, apart from something a work friend has just told me. Basically, his friends have just returned from a P&O Cruise and they have said that P&O have plans to remove all tea and coffee making facilities from cabins.

I understand that you can get a coffee from the bars and restaurants which are practically open all day, but I'd still be quite annoyed if this is true. Does anybody know if this is true or could he be mistaken?

Seeing that after many years Cunard are introducing tea/coffee making facilities into their staterooms I very much doubt that P&O would remove them and its just one of the many "stories" that circulate around P&O ships by people who have nothing better to do.

Whether it is true or not I think we have to look at the future. If P&O upset their current following, and indeed they appear to have upset a few already, it won't really matter as they are looking at the new generation of cruisers hence the new 180,000 tonne ship due for launch in 2020 carrying over 5,000 passengers. Cruising in the 3/3star plus sector is changing. The ships are getting bigger with more of a resort feel to them. It's all about having a low lead in price and then charging for everything once on board. I don't think the average 30/40 year old with 2/3 children will be particular about tea making facilities in the cabin. Cunard are a totally different product catering for a different clientele. With just 3 ships and no new ones on the horizon they will keep the niceties like afternoon tea the way it should be served as there will always be a demand. Just my opinion as always.

I agree OWT, it could be a possibility considering the direction P&O seem to be taking moving forward. They may be making this decision to further separate the offerings of each individual brand. I agree with your assessment of P&O's way of thinking on fares. It does appear to be all about lead in fares then charging for most things on board to make money. Others however seem to be adopting a different approach. NCL for example charging a higher fare but going all-inclusive on board. It will be interesting to see which one works best.

The more I think about this, the more I could see it happening. With Costa being on board now too, maybe they will try and make it more on a paid basis rather than having facilities in your cabin. What a shame that would be. Such a simple thing but it would upset a lot of people.

1 minute ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I take your point sammy sun but I think we have to remember that P&O and NCL cater for two different types of clientele. P&O passengers are predominately British whereas NCL cater world wide. Mention P&O to many Americans and they will say 'Who' but they all know NCL. 

Very true OWT

We do like to make a cuppa when we get back on board after a day out. I do not want to have to go to the buffet to make a cup, or try to find a seat in Costa a get a coffee. I know you can have room service but might have to wait a while to receive it.

i hope this is just a rumour.

2 hours ago, CJW said:

The more I think about this, the more I could see it happening. With Costa being on board now too, maybe they will try and make it more on a paid basis rather than having facilities in your cabin. What a shame that would be. Such a simple thing but it would upset a lot of people.

Whilst I cannot imagine P&O doing this I do not think it has anything to do with Costa because they have been onboard P&O ships i.e. Azura and Ventura for over 7yrs.

2 hours ago, Scranman said:

Never it must be deck gossip surely. I have however been told that they are removing the shower gels and shampoos!!! 

What do you think to that....

Several cruise lines have done away with the bottles of toiletries and replaced them with dispensers in the shower cubicle and beside the wash basin. It's all about cost cutting. The complete set may only cost a couple of pounds but when multiplied by the number used each year it adds up to a tidy sum.