Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeLowry

Sunbed wars are raging

33 posts in this topic

Rant, incoming.

Why, oh why, do people think that it is okay to reserve sunbeds with towels, books or whatever else they can find? They hog the bed from early morning until late afternoon, often without actually even occupying it for any length of time. They go for lunch and can be gone for up to 2 hours, all the while their holiday read marking their territory in their absence. What I also find annoying is that none of the staff seem to do anything about it and clearly the signs aren't doing anything. Maybe it's time the cruise lines introduced stricter policies - anybody reserving a sunbed for over 30 minutes gets their favourite book or sunglasses thrown overboard! (Repeat offenders could follow their belongings in my opinion...) 

The saddest thing about it is that you almost feel like taking a 'can't beat them, join them' approach is the only way to guarantee yourself a bed! We found ourselves without a sunbed several times on our recent cruise, unless we were by the pool with our towels at 6.30am and who wants to do that on holiday? 

It infuriates me! 

afcandrew, jimmy-jules and B&M like this

Cant agree more Mike, I once witnessed the mass stampede in a hotel with everyone adding their towels to the beds around the pool before some even went back to bed whilst others went for breakfast. The funny side to it all was the hotel guest who gathered them all up and threw them in the pool. PRICELESS!!

afcandrew likes this

It's one of the most frustrating things when on holiday and that applies to both land and sea. I can't see it changing until cruise lines enforce stricter policies as you say Mike. I know some cruise lines do have a 30-minute policy but is it really controlled that well and properly enforced? 

Certainly Cunard enforce it. I have seen towels removed on Queen Victoria several times and also it happened on Vision of the Seas to a couple who, from their accent, I would have have said were German or from that part of Europe.

A few years ago I was on aVentura sitting in one of the steamer chairs as all the beds were taken when from the deck above was heard 'Get off my f…… sun bed'. A real row developed with language that was awful and it was two women. One had got fed up with the reserved sunbeds and removed the articles.  

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

29 minutes ago, AFC04/03 said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am sure I have read somewhere that back in the 70's-80's cruisers were assigned a sun bed corresponded to their cabin?

That would make things very interesting'!!!!!!!

We saw a family reserving sunbeds with towels, books and magazines on Azura on there way into buffet restaurant for breakfast at 7-30 on one cruise.

Edited by sinbad10

3 hours ago, AFC04/03 said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am sure I have read somewhere that back in the 70's-80's cruisers were assigned a sun bed corresponded to their cabin?

Never heard that before AFC but certainly on QE2 in the 90' you could reserve your sunbed for a small fee and it was yours for the duration of the cruise.

I agree. I do think it depends on what cruise you are on however i did find this on one cruise i was on i needed a sunbed by the pool so i could watch my daughter in the pool as she is only young and foujnd myself having to sit on the edge of the pool all day and not one single sun bed came available. there were sunbeds available on other decks in quite areas which is great but if you have children and cant leave them in the pool on thier own this is no good at all.

I was naughty one day a moved someones towl and books off as i had enough of it.  

I only found this a problem the days at sea.  

jimmy-jules likes this

I'd happily pay a small fee to reserve a sunbed for the duration, though I'm sure some would be quite annoyed at having to pay for this on top of their fare.  As you say eyes12, it must be very frustrating for anyone who needs to be close to kids in the pool.

I can understand the reserving of a sunbed for a period of time whilst you go to grab something to eat for lunch for example. I'm guilty of that, but to go out at 6am to save sunbeds then not surfacing from their cabins till 11 is ridiculous and you do see it happening. 

I remove them after the prescribed time if there is a policy and take possession. Only once did someone come back and challenge me and I advised that staff had stated it was OK to move from an unattended bed - 3 hours they were gone!!! I told them they could have it back in an hour or so.

It will save a lot of aggravation and ill feeling amongst the passengers if the Cruise Line could have a policy on this issue and display posters clarifying it, all over the sun decks.

jimmy-jules likes this

We are also guilty of getting up and getting a sunbed but we do use them straight away we don't just leave a towel and walk away. We do leave them at lunch time for 30 to 45 mins for lunch depending on lunch time queues which I think is fair. But we do see some beds not occupied for hours on end those are the people that should be targeted. 

B&M and Davybe like this

We were on a P & O cruise in the Caribbean the year before last and there was a family on board who put towels on sunbeds on both sides of the ship so they would never be in the shade................

Davybe likes this

On 7/19/2017 at 5:26 PM, AFC04/03 said:

We never were, but I don't remember there ever being a problem then.

Just back from Oriana, first few days no problem, plenty of sunbeds we sat on them for a couple of hours then removed everything to go for lunch and plenty available if we wanted to go back in the afternoon. First sea-day with sun in the med arrived on deck a 9am every sun-bed had a towel on it but only 4 were actually occupied. Next sea day arrived on deck 9am -a bit misty so not all beds  taken sat on a couple, towels and books on beds to each side of us, went for lunch at 1.30 and no-one had sat on any of the 'reserved' beds to each side of us in all that time. If people just sit on them when they actually want to use them, there are plenty to go around. 

3 hours ago, mehravs said:

It will save a lot of aggravation and ill feeling amongst the passengers if the Cruise Line could have a policy on this issue and display posters clarifying it, all over the sun decks.

The annoying thing is that most cruiselines do have a policy, problem being is they simply fail to enforce it.

HLM.

On 7/19/2017 at 4:54 PM, CJW said:

It's one of the most frustrating things when on holiday and that applies to both land and sea. I can't see it changing until cruise lines enforce stricter policies as you say Mike. I know some cruise lines do have a 30-minute policy but is it really controlled that well and properly enforced? 

So many holidaymakers these days completely ignore any written rules posted by the tour operator or the cruise company. It is rather difficult to enforce because the staff cannot argue with the customers.

I reckon cruise lines should issue cheap one hour timers with your cruise card. These could be clipped onto your sun bed and started when you nip off for lunch etc. If deck patrols find time expired ones, or ones not started, then they should dump the belongings over the side - along with the passengers!

I  have only once had an issue with an "abused" sun bed, and simply moved the items to a prominent place. If I were challenged I would have said that the sunbed as empty when I arrived, and somebody else must have done it.      

B&M likes this

21 hours ago, Bizziebee said:

We were on a P & O cruise in the Caribbean the year before last and there was a family on board who put towels on sunbeds on both sides of the ship so they would never be in the shade................

We have seen them up at the crack of dawn receiving two lots of sun beds one in the shade ,this was on Oceana the Web cam focused on on the pool area until about  8am ,,you could see the crew putting out the chairs and followed by passengers rearranging them.

One Morning They all got soaked in a tropical storm, the Cruise director Rob Boyd mentioned it at the start of the shows..

Celebrity have sometimes enforced the policy depending on who is in charge.one good reason to book a balcony...Davybe

On 23 July 2017 at 2:53 PM, mehravs said:

It is rather difficult to enforce because the staff cannot argue with the customers.

You're probably correct, shouldn't be that way but I suspect crew worry about losing their contract should someone complain about them.

HLM.

After doing quite a few cruises with P &O. I have only once seen P & O staff removing towels etc from unoccupied sun beds.