Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeLowry

Sunbed wars are raging

33 posts in this topic

I don't think anything will change. I expect the staff don't get involved as they don't want to end up in an argument with passengers.

It is a really frustrating issue but that's true of any holiday, not just cruising when looking to go somewhere hot to enjoy the sun. I can't see it improving anytime soon because there are too many variables at work. Inconsistency from staff will always be the issue. Some will enforce the cruise line policies, some won't. Why that is the case would be purely speculation with differing opinions I'm sure. 

Until it is regularly enforced by the cruise lines hierarchies and becomes required of the poolside crew to enforce too, I cannot see it working. 

All boils down to the same thing - a lot of people are selfish and only think of what they want - same in every area of life so why should it be any different on a cruise ship, or on holiday?

Thankfully this doesn't happen on Fred - more than enough deck space and sunbeds for everyone who wants them.  Sometimes a smaller ship does have something to offer.

From my own observation's people do set out to reserve sun beds and seating ,but just as many cannot be bothered to remove the towels when they have finished ,even telling there companion's "just leave it ,it's not your job to tidy up" ....Davybe

on a 14 day carribean cruise in the 90's a woman would reserve about 8 sunbeds in a particular corner of the pool deck set them out in a particular order then pull out various towells and personal effects and distribute them around the beds she did this the entire 1st week. in fairness she would then occupy one of the beds for most of the morning. the remaining beds were all for her freinds/family who had gone ashore on various trips and didnt join her until at least 1pm depending on the trip they were on.she was extremely rude to any staff member who even dared to enquire about removing towels etc.

one morning for some reason i was up early and she was delayed, anyway needless to say i bagged a bed and small table right in the middle of her territory. within a few minutes the pool bar tenders and a growing number of waiters had gathered at the bar obviously tying to decide who would get the short straw of coming over to talk to me. i ordered my drink  and sat back.

well her face was a picture when she arrived with her shopping bag of towels etc,the bar staff and waiters were all trying hard to look as though they were busy doing other things and had by now called their boss. she went ballistic, thats my bed etc etc i always have this area on and on she went for a good 5 minutes.

i simply stood up towered over her and said i dont see your name on the chair or deck so "go away". sat down and had a drink. she span round spotted the bar manager and sped off towards him ive never seen bar staff and waiters scatter so fast lol. give him his due the manager didnt back down and simply showed her the sign on the bar about reserving beds etc. other people around and the bar staff applauded as she slunk off to find a new domain and the bar manager sent over a free drink! so it was a good start to the day lol.

HLM, afcandrew, Jenjen and 2 others like this

I did hear of a case that a couple went into Andersons bar for a pre dinner drink, a man approached themand said that they were sitting in his chair at his table, he always occupied that spot on every cruise, they told him to get lost, they were not going to leave" or move seats they reported some of the waiters went into hiding and were laughing up the corner. You could not make it up.

mitch likes this

We have friends who sat on some sunbeds on the Solstice deck on Eclipse ,they had been there for a while when this man came up telling them he was going to have those chairs, our friends looked around to see a near empty deck with a couple of chair's being used, the man was not to happy to be told where to go....Davybe

7 hours ago, mitch said:

on a 14 day carribean cruise in the 90's a woman would reserve about 8 sunbeds in a particular corner of the pool deck set them out in a particular order then pull out various towells and personal effects and distribute them around the beds she did this the entire 1st week. in fairness she would then occupy one of the beds for most of the morning. the remaining beds were all for her freinds/family who had gone ashore on various trips and didnt join her until at least 1pm depending on the trip they were on.she was extremely rude to any staff member who even dared to enquire about removing towels etc.

one morning for some reason i was up early and she was delayed, anyway needless to say i bagged a bed and small table right in the middle of her territory. within a few minutes the pool bar tenders and a growing number of waiters had gathered at the bar obviously tying to decide who would get the short straw of coming over to talk to me. i ordered my drink  and sat back.

well her face was a picture when she arrived with her shopping bag of towels etc,the bar staff and waiters were all trying hard to look as though they were busy doing other things and had by now called their boss. she went ballistic, thats my bed etc etc i always have this area on and on she went for a good 5 minutes.

i simply stood up towered over her and said i dont see your name on the chair or deck so "go away". sat down and had a drink. she span round spotted the bar manager and sped off towards him ive never seen bar staff and waiters scatter so fast lol. give him his due the manager didnt back down and simply showed her the sign on the bar about reserving beds etc. other people around and the bar staff applauded as she slunk off to find a new domain and the bar manager sent over a free drink! so it was a good start to the day lol.

I've done similar in the past Mitch choose a place where others seem to think they own, never been challenged though, if I were I'd simply say "you should of got up earlier" just to rub that extra bit of salt in the wound.

HLM.

mitch likes this