Sign in to follow this  
chrisdutts

Britannia or Azura?

Hi

I have finally narrowed my search down to 2 ships. They both have great itineraries, just the Azura has better reviews.

Which would you choose?

I know people have different standards etc, a few months ago we backpacked China staying in hostels and hotels, but we also cruise, so we are not ridiculously fussy about things, the main thing for me is that the room is quiet and the food is decent, I guess anything will be a higher standard than that!.

Both are a similar price, the Azura a slight jump in price. I can get an inside Cabin at a good price on both, a balcony on each is £820 more on the total, would you pay the £820 extra for a balcony?

I had a balcony on the Riviera, it was too hot in the day to sit on, morning and early evening was nice for an hour or so, so I am thinking would I really get the use out of it.

Looking forward to the comments and hopefully finally nailing down a cruise.

Having been on both ship's ,they both have there good and bad points but just prefer    Britannia  mainly as it feels a bit less crowded around the ship.Food and entertainment quite good,

Regarding a Balcony cabin that would depend on where you are going ,not keen on an inside and would probably go for an outside cabin ,

By the way Welcome to the forum...Davybe 

both are fantastic, britannia is newer and a bit bigger but i found her less crowded than azura, due to more public lounges i think. there are no outside cabins on briatnnia but i personally would not pay the extra for a balcony, had it and never used it, if your only in it for sleeping and dressing an inside cabin is fine

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the balcony is worth the big jump in price. The large inside at OB grade is a good price. I'm tempted by that.

We are going on the 10th of November, I'm a bit worried that the entertainment maybe aimed at 65+ due to the time of year, I went on the Oceana Riviera which was aimed at an older crowd and I didn't like that.

I've seen a few cruises with Celebrity - Reflection, eclipse and equinox which also interest me... ah, first world problems!

We have been on both P&O ships and on Eclipse (our favourite ship). We preferred Azura to Britannia partly for the layout of the ship but mainly for the more friendly crew. However crews change every few months so Britannia may be better in this respect now (we were on in February). Generally we have found the crews on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean to be much more friendly and communicative than on P&O but you may not want to chat anyway so that is very much a personal thing. Whichever you choose hope you have a great time

I would go for Britannia every time for its choice in dining choices and facilities and I would not consider paying £820 extra for a balcony nothing wrong with inside staterooms.

3 hours ago, SarahBishop said:

The Azura is like Ventura and has no front oriented bar like The Crows Nest. The Manhattan Room is the Main Bar on Azura and Ventura which is arranged at the Aft end of the ship just giving the view after you have passed.

driving directions

It is called The Planet Bar on Azura.

I would have a balcony every time and think they are well worth the money. I like fresh air, natural light, and we spend a lot of time on our balcony. I used to say you don't spend much time in the cabin anyway, and we didn't - until we had a balcony. Also, if you are unfortunate enough to become ill and confined to your cabin for 48 yours I would go mad in a cabin without a balcony because of the above. I also prefer Azura. Bigger cabins and balconies, and I don't like the colours of the décor on Britannia - they make me feel depressed. This is only my opinion, of course, but thought I would share it as others have expressed differently. At the end of the day you have to make your own mind up.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:16 PM, chrisdutts said:

Hi

I have finally narrowed my search down to 2 ships. They both have great itineraries, just the Azura has better reviews.

Which would you choose?

I know people have different standards etc, a few months ago we backpacked China staying in hostels and hotels, but we also cruise, so we are not ridiculously fussy about things, the main thing for me is that the room is quiet and the food is decent, I guess anything will be a higher standard than that!.

Both are a similar price, the Azura a slight jump in price. I can get an inside Cabin at a good price on both, a balcony on each is £820 more on the total, would you pay the £820 extra for a balcony?

I had a balcony on the Riviera, it was too hot in the day to sit on, morning and early evening was nice for an hour or so, so I am thinking would I really get the use out of it.

Looking forward to the comments and hopefully finally nailing down a cruise.

I have been on Azura a few times & from the comments I have heard I would not like Brittania, I like to use the stairs & depending which lifts you use there are no stairs. I have also had inside, outside & Balconies. Prefer balcony which we used to use from 4pm till dinner as you could sit & relax, wash hair ,do nails etc. or just have early evening G&T. Would choose port side other wise view of sea when in port. Price affects choice but for me an inside is a NoNo! as like to see daylight!.  Brittania may suit younger cruises as my daughter thinks the bigger the better but she did like Azura.

Edited by tindall1039

We have just returned from a Caribbean cruise on Britannia, our first such trip on P&O, and absolutely loved it. Previously, we travelled on Celebrity via Florida and to fly direct to Barbados was just perfect. Britannia is a big ship and after two weeks we were still trying to find our way around. The lack of staircases and lifts which didn't reach all floors made it frustrating to get around the ship. We were on the rear Deck 15 and the quickest way to walk to the Lido Deck was to walk up one deck and then walk through the buffet restaurant. Washing hands each time on entry, we must have had the cleanest on the ship. This was a minor inconvenience as it was a great cruise but we have booked for the same time next year - on Azura, as we hope the slightly smaller ship and more traditional lay-out may be easier to negotiate..