harley1

charging for towels!

The charging for non-returned pool towels has been going on with Royal for some years hence the reason you present your key card when collecting and returning. It hasn't stopped the reservation of sun beds simply because if you return the towels on the last day of the cruise that cancels out any charge.

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

If passengers take home bath robes, fruit bowls, tv remotes etc why not towels.

Is that why the bath robes etc are removed on the last evening? I always thought it was because they wanted to prepare for the next cruise. Surely if someone took a bathrobe, P&O or whoever would know who'd taken it and perhaps send them a bill? Unbelievable to think people would do that.:rolleyes:

Many years ago I used to work in the hotel industry,  you would be surprised at what used to disappear. We had one room where the curtains and cushions were taken, if you didn't see them being taken you can't  prove it was the guest that had been in that room.

Princess did this with the blankets they give out in the evening for the moive nights- i'm sure they said we had to given them back or it would be charged to our cabin...

So  it wouldn't surpirse me if other lines started charging for towels not being returned.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, Oldworldtraveller said:

If passengers take home bath robes, fruit bowls, tv remotes etc why not towels.

Ha ha, and make the rest of us who leave things alone pay for in our fares. I cannot fathom folks who do that type of stealing ...  Sure, we have taken a paper coaster and requested the drink menu on the last day :)

14 hours ago, Mermaid Jessica said:

Princess did this with the blankets they give out in the evening for the moive nights- i'm sure they said we had to given them back or it would be charged to our cabin...

So  it wouldn't surpirse me if other lines started charging for towels not being returned.

Towels and bathrobes have always been charged if not returned on many lines. In fact the  buy charge runs from $45 - $90 depending on quality of a bathrobe. Mind you the weight of the better quality bathrobe would be a luggage  concern as we fly all the time :)

Edited by RobBar

We bought P&O bathrobes a few years ago, but I am always scared when we use them that the cabin steward will think they belong to P&O and remove them. Carried the receipt with us for a few cruises but the print has now faded. 

Whilst I fully agree with you, I can also see the other side of the argument/mind-set too; when cruise passengers are likewise expected to stump up absolutely ridiculous amounts of money for the privilege, nay convenience of having bottled 'Mineral' water, in their cabins.

So who is actually fooling or 'con'-ing who? In these mind/over 'easy' profit making games??

I'm not identifying any cruise line, at all. Sadly, I'm identifying almost all, who are most definitely, at it, nowadays!

Peter.

I can't believe people steal stuff like towels, blankets and TV remotes. What is going on in the world?

Quite clearly this is not what anyone has paid for and there can be no justification for taking it.

I'm assuming that you were joking harley 1, if not then shame on you.

There is never anything worth stealing surely that you either haven't already got or that you'd  want. Anyway I'm always overweight with luggage anyway so no chance of extra booty in my cases lol 

On 21/07/2017 at 11:19 AM, harley1 said:

Just seen Royal Caribbean are going to be charging for towels that are not returned!

there goes my cruise line towel collection :(

So what else would you steal?

Even if I was that way inclined I have yet to be provided with any towels/bathrobes that I would actually want to take home.

If you wanted cruise line merchandise surely you you would buy new items rather than take anything that had been used and washed countless times!

4 hours ago, Mollymaid said:

Even if I was that way inclined I have yet to be provided with any towels/bathrobes that I would actually want to take home.

If you wanted cruise line merchandise surely you you would buy new items rather than take anything that had been used and washed countless times!

Obviously sailing with the wrong cruise line Mollymaid.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong! 

All the same,I still wouldn't want second hand items, unless there are cruise lines out there that provide new towels at the start of every cruise?

You cannot get away from the fact that it is STEALING and therefore the cruise line would have every right to charge for it. The vouchers system used in a lot of the hotels would work and you have to hand in your voucher at the end of your holiday or be charged.