trickydicky

P&O charging twice for meals

I recently took a short Cruise with my wife on Ventura. Having cruised  with P&O many times including on Ventura I was shocked to find that the Cabin Menu had been changed. By this I mean NOT  a change of items on the menu but a charge for every item on it.  The nominal charge for certain items(such as Fish Pie) had been extended to EVERYTHING ranging from  bread rolls to pastries and soup to  fresh salmon. We have already paid for our food P&O. This is a money making  'step too far'. Even a small charge for cabin delivery (although I always tip staff who deliver to my cabin) would be acceptable but this is out of order. Are all P&O Ships now charging for all items on the in cabin menu?

1 hour ago, trickydicky said:

I recently took a short Cruise with my wife on Ventura. Having cruised  with P&O many times including on Ventura I was shocked to find that the Cabin Menu had been changed. By this I mean NOT  a change of items on the menu but a charge for every item on it.  The nominal charge for certain items(such as Fish Pie) had been extended to EVERYTHING ranging from  bread rolls to pastries and soup to  fresh salmon. We have already paid for our food P&O. This is a money making  'step too far'. Even a small charge for cabin delivery (although I always tip staff who deliver to my cabin) would be acceptable but this is out of order. Are all P&O Ships now charging for all items on the in cabin menu?

This has been well publicised on P&Os Facebook page and various cruise forums all over the internet over recent weeks.

also i have noticed in the beach house, where it only used to be steak that had a charge, most items on the menu now have a charge, as well as the £7.50 to dine in there too

3 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Just another way to separate you from your wallet once they have enticed you with cheap lead in fares. 

but you can just have cheap lead in fares and not go to Beach House or other speciality payable restaurants nobody forces you.

19 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

but you can just have cheap lead in fares and not go to Beach House or other speciality payable restaurants nobody forces you.

not the point, not even 3 years ago we went to the beach house, no charge to get in, and just steak with a surcharge, and its no cheaper to cruise now than it was then, infact i think p&o have been more expensive this year

16 minutes ago, Furby said:

not the point, not even 3 years ago we went to the beach house, no charge to get in, and just steak with a surcharge, and its no cheaper to cruise now than it was then, infact i think p&o have been more expensive this year

It is the point doesn't matter how long ago it was free and whether there is a charge now nobody forces you to go and if you dont want to pay the price or think it is expensive then go to MDR and get a 5 course meal for free.

The dreaded word is inflation which we all have to endure even P&O. They have a choice of increasing surcharges on speciality dining venues or as in Beach House charge a supplement for more meals than they have in the past or increase the lead fare of cruises for everyone. For me I prefer cheaper lead-in fares and increasing surcharges in speciality restaurants and then it is your choice whether you go or not.

52 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

The dreaded word is inflation which we all have to endure even P&O. They have a choice of increasing surcharges on speciality dining venues or as in Beach House charge a supplement for more meals than they have in the past or increase the lead fare of cruises for everyone. For me I prefer cheaper lead-in fares and increasing surcharges in speciality restaurants and then it is your choice whether you go or not.

but the lead in fares are not cheaper thats what im saying, they are charging for things on board more and more which they didnt in the past, yet the prices are still very similar now to 4/5 years ago. no one is forcing me to go, but on a late saver fare if we get given 6.30 dining we wont be using the main dining room, hence looking at other options

30 minutes ago, Furby said:

but the lead in fares are not cheaper thats what im saying, they are charging for things on board more and more which they didnt in the past, yet the prices are still very similar now to 4/5 years ago. no one is forcing me to go, but on a late saver fare if we get given 6.30 dining we wont be using the main dining room, hence looking at other options

Yes I agree but if they did not increase prices of prices on board they would have to increase lead cruise prices and that is very corporate sensitive and something P&O do not want to do. P&O are not the only ones doing this many cruise lines are charging for more items onboard and increasing speciality dining charges. With regards to current prices I compare to when we first cruised with P&O in 2000 and lead in prices were far higher than what they are now so taking into consideration inflation of food, costs and fuel cruising even with these price increases is still great value for money.

Hi  Supplementary dining (pay extra) is now normal on most cruise lines and as an individual you can't do much about it, you either pay the supplement to dine in these venues or stick to the "free" restaurants.  If you really don't like this policy, the only  option is to select a cruise line where the food served in the main dining room is of an acceptable standard.  Without being too anti-P&O most other cruise lines do present better dining  than this company,  Fred Olsen, Azamara, Celebrity etc all offer a better dining experience in the non-supplementary dining venues. 

I was on P and O once and due to the quality and service in the main restaurant I went upstairs to the buffet and I found the food much better and it was hot. Not lukewarm like it was downstairs. Plus you didn't have to pay. Again with the price you pay for  a cruise you should be able to get decent food without being expected to pay extra for it in a speciality restaurant.

1 hour ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi  Supplementary dining (pay extra) is now normal on most cruise lines and as an individual you can't do much about it, you either pay the supplement to dine in these venues or stick to the "free" restaurants.  If you really don't like this policy, the only  option is to select a cruise line where the food served in the main dining room is of an acceptable standard.  Without being too anti-P&O most other cruise lines do present better dining  than this company,  Fred Olsen, Azamara, Celebrity etc all offer a better dining experience in the non-supplementary dining venues. 

i dont have a problem with the food in the main dining room with p&o, for this particular cruise we have booked a saver fare and if we get allocated first sitting we wont be using the main dining room, P&O obviously know this which i believe is why the other options now have huigher charges than before this saver fare exisited, more people using alternatives and P&O have used this to thier advantage and charge more for these options. my opinion