Sign in to follow this  
Philomena

Solo cruising

Personally I would suggest that you choose a cruise line that goes out of its way to make sure solo travellers are looked after. The two that come to mind are NCL and Fred Olsen. NCL have a separate part of the ship for solos should they wish to make use of it as well as proper solo cabins.

Fred Olsen with whom I have cruised as a solo are excellent. From their first Solos Champagne Welcome Meeting to the end of the cruise they go that extra mile for solos. Separate dining tables if you wish to make use of them. I did as when you dine at a table that is made up of couples you can sometimes feel uncomfortable. They arranged meetings, tours, and really made the cruise memorable. Fred Olsen often have 'No Single Supplement'. 

uptoHi  I agree with OWT assessment and I have sailed with NCL (in a designated single studio cabin, you have access to a dedicated single lounge with enables you to meet other single passengers) and Fred Olsen (in an outside cabin at zero supplement) in the past year.  They both offer a good cruise experience.  I would also recommend Azamara cruise lines, many cruises carry a modest 25% supplement for single passengers.  The food, service and itineraries are better than the two cruise lines mentioned.  They also arrange a single get together early in the cruise so you can meet other solo guests.  On the downside the boarding fare does seem to be more expensive than both Fred Olsen and NCL but they are more inclusive (tips, an enjoyable evening ashore with food and entertainment is provided).  If you enjoy a little indulgence and don't mind the higher costs involved Silversea cruises offer an outstanding product, the ships are smaller so meeting fellow passengers is easy and they again only charge a 25% supplement on many voyages  (this means they aren't really more expensive than Cunard who charge up to a whooping 100% supplement on most cruises! and you get a large suite rather than pokey inside/outside cabin!

Edited by Land Ahoy

I have sailed solo with P&O four times now.  They have a hosted coffee-meet each sea-day and a non-hosted meet on port-days.  You can also ask to be placed on a dining table with other solos if you do 'club dining' - i.e. the same table at the same time each evening.  There have been a fair number of solo pax on each of the cruises I have done on my own.

On 23/07/2017 at 1:40 PM, Philomena said:

Hi, I never cruised on my own, I feel  that I need help  to meet other solo travellers any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you to all of you who have replied to my question, I must bite the bullet and go for it.

Cruising solo is quite easy P&O will always 'mix' people on tables at fixed meal times.You soon get to know your table colleagues. My last solo cruise was a trans Atlantic crossing i.e 8 days at sea on deck you me so many people and get chatting by the time you reach land you are all 'life long friends'

I have  to travel alone for 9 years. P&O have get together and sometimes put singles on a table . Haven't cruised with Fred Olsen since 1992. How does it compare to P&O now. 

My next cruise is on Azura Oct 8th17.

Anyone on same cruise?

I am a very independent traveller but would like to meet someone to share cabin expense. Pref Richard Gere or George Clooney ha ha !

32 minutes ago, Marmog said:

I have  to travel alone for 9 years. P&O have get together and sometimes put singles on a table . Haven't cruised with Fred Olsen since 1992. How does it compare to P&O now. 

My personal opinion is that Fred Olsen are far ahead of P&O in quality of food, service, friendliness, cost of gratuities and drinks packages. 

HI  I definitely agree that Fred Olsen offer a "better" cruise experience than P&O but others will say that their ships are elderly and not upto the standards of P&O's newer builds and that is true.  However, as OWT has stated the standard of food (without having to pay extra in the supplementary dining venues) and service are much superior to P&O.  As for friendliness on the whole I agree but it does depend upon your fellow passengers on each voyage but I do agree in principle with this statement.  The drinks package is a bargain at £15 per night even though it as increased in price recently from £10.

Edited by Land Ahoy

Thank' s for comments. 

Think I can't help comparing with my first cruise experience which was onboard the Black Prince in 1992 which at time I thought was the bees knees . The food was excellent then but cabin had a lot to be desired! These days as a single female friendship is more important . Perhaps it's time I gave good old Fred another try ?