Sea View

Big Ship Are Best

I think you can make a ship as big or As small as you want if you prefer to stick to the same bar and restaurant then it's a small ship for you. If you decide to explore the full ship try all the bars and dine in the different restaurants then it becomes a big ship you choose.. no matter what we enjoy ourselves.  

Oriana, with 1822 passengers (maximum 1928 passengers), is not small.  She is different, but not better or worse than large ships.  Furthermore, she certainly does not offer the atmosphere you can expect to enjoy aboard much smaller ships.

Smaller alternatives include Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest, P&O's Adonia, Pacific Princess , and Oceania's Insignia, Nautica, Regatta & Sirena (sister ships, each with capacity for around 690 passengers).

And of course, there are many even smaller alternatives.

Some passengers love the massive, resort style ships.  Others prefer smaller ships.

There is no right or wrong size of ship thankfully we are all different and have different views and expectations but we shouldn't criticise those that prefer small ships and equally those that like large ships. For me by far the best ship I have been on is QM2 a large ship but not as busy as other ships of that size because of her lower number of passengers compared to those with a much larger capacity.

There is no right or wrong size of ship thankfully we are all different and have different views and expectations but we shouldn't criticise those that prefer small ships and equally those that like large ships. For me by far the best ship I have been on is QM2 a large ship but not as busy as other ships of that size because of her lower number of passengers compared to those with a much larger capacity.

4 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

i agree with this, queen mary is one of my favourites, i knew her passenger count so was expecting her to be much smaller than she was, so much more public space and the biggest outside cabin i have ever had. the anthem of the seas is a close second for amazing cabin size, twice the size standard balcony than the britannia, but couldnt get a sun lounger for love nor money on a sea day, which is why she is second to the queen mary

Hello Looby  Oceana is small compared to Brittania but big compared to Artemis or Adonia.  It's all relative as they say to what you are comparing the ship with I guess. In my post I referred to smaller ships not necessarily small ships!! 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, Mayway said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again - we don't need entertaining every minute of every day and if the food is good we don't need to have loads of restaurants or need loads of bars.   Even the smallest ships have several places where you can get a drink - just how much of a pub crawl does anyone need to do when on board a ship?

We've tried all sizes of ship and much prefer the smaller, where getting around isn't an ordeal, you can get a sunbed when you want one and you can while away the hours doing absolutely nothing apart from relax and enjoy ports that are not stuffed full of 3000 or so cruise passengers.

Small is the future for us.

For "singles" the small ships are wonderful as you easily make friends and can find your way round the ship easily.  I have done both, as a single and with a partner and it is only up to 900 passengers for me.  I cruise to see places, eat superb food, sunbathe, swim and enjoy nightly shows - what else could you want as an adult?  Not for me the Disney ships with hoards of people.

As everyone has said on this thread fortunately, there are ships to suit all tastes. First and foremost we book for the destinations. We prefer medium sized ships and we’d never book a ship with rock climbing etc because we don’t want to be on a floating theme park. I like to be at sea, I enjoy going to different destinations and I enjoy good food and good company. That’s all I want. On our last cruise a back to back of 48 days I didn’t even go to the theatre. 

Edited by Tally

We have been cruising for around 30 years, and love all aspects - small ships - bigger ships. They all have something different to offer. However recently we went 'behind the scenes' on a P&O ship. At the end of the tour, in the kitchens, the staff member proudly regaled  us with details of the waste disposal method used on the ship. All food waste [and no doubt other types of waste] is emulsified on board and then pumped into the ocean whilst sailing in international waters.  

To me, as a normal, thinking adult [not particularly Green], the implications were immediately obvious and I enquired what research had been undertaken to establish the effect, if any, this process was having on sea life. Our guide did not have English as his first language and indicated he couldn't understand the question. No other staff member nearby offered any explanation either. 

Subsequently, on our return home, I did some basic research and quickly discovered that this universal practice is indeed having a serious impact, some ocean areas already becoming sterile, which is being directly attributed to the volume of this type of waste being dumped in the sea. 

With cruise ships becoming ever larger the long term effects of this practice, along with other accepted cruise ship practices [i.e fuel emissions] are causing irreparable damage to our planet. 

I wonder how long it will be before some notable organisation picks up on this and holds the perpetrators accountable - hopefully before it's too late for our oceans, and the creatures that reside there, to recover.

I totally agree that there are ships out there for all tastes and mine is for mid-size, like Oriana.  I must say that I would not feel the need to use only one (i.e. the same) restaurant and bar every night aboard Oriana.  Even though she is smaller by today's standards, there is a choice of four eating places and four bars.  In addition, there is then the theatre, show-lounge and night-club.  and if none of those appeal, you can always go to the stand-alone cinema.