Sea View

Big Ship Are Best

I don't care what anyone says, bigger ships are far superior than smaller ships. We have recently sailed on Oriana following 4 years of cruises on bigger ships (Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Reflection, Azura, Britannia and Independence of the Seas).

After reading many reviews about small-mid sized ships being more intimate we decided to give it a go. The biggest disappointment for us was the reduction in facilities. We found each night we'd eat at the same restaurant, and end up in the same bar. On the bigger ships it's like every day is a new day trying to find your way around and stumbling across new areas.

I don't think we'll be cruising on any smaller ships from now on. Roll on 2020 for P&O's new ship!

Edited by Sea View

9 minutes ago, Sea View said:

I don't care what anyone says, bigger ships are far superior than smaller ships. We have recently sailed on Oriana following 4 years of cruises on bigger ships (Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Reflection, Azura, Britannia and Independence of the Seas).

After reading many reviews about small-mid sized ships being more intimate we decided to give it a go. The biggest disappointment for us was the reduction in facilities. We found each night we'd eat at the same restaurant, and end up in the same bar. On the bigger ships it's like every day is a new day trying to find your way around and stumbling across new areas.

I don't think we'll be cruising on any smaller ships from now on. Roll on 2020 for P&O's new ship!

you should of added, 'in my opinion' after this lol, the good thing about cruising is that all cruise passengers are different and like different things and there is a ship or two out there to meet everyones needs.

I agree with Furby. I'm sure it's meant as an opinion but stated more as a fact. I again agree with Furby that it is all down to individual preference. What one person enjoys, another may dislike so it's great for us all that there are so many different cruise lines to choose from.

I do favour larger ships as I like variation in dining and I like to have more facilities on board so whilst I do share your opinion in a fashion, I do also see the appeal of smaller ships. I've sailed on many ships that would be classed as small-mid sized as you mention Sea View and always enjoyed myself. I'm just a lover of cruising in general though. 

There are over 300 different cruise ships sailing the oceans from huge down to miniature. It's all about what you like. I enjoy all size of ships but for different reasons. Each to their own but one thing worth remembering is that some of the older smaller ships have deeper draughts and will therefore ride the swells better. When the wind catches the modern high, flat sided ships they can roll like a drunk and yes I am talking from experience, ships rolling that is ;). Just my opinion as always.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

OWT makes a good point. My other reason for enjoying smaller ship cruising over the years is that despite my preference being for larger ships due to the facilities, smaller ships do have a warmer welcome to them in my opinion. You are much more likely to bump into the same people, you're also more likely to be looked after by the same crew members, who in return learn your name too, as well as your drink preferences. It is a more intimate cruise experience in my opinion and many people love that so you can't just state that bigger ships are best.

I like to mix it up and enjoy different cruising experiences. Hence my enjoyment of both larger and smaller ships.

I just don't see the appeal to smaller ships having experienced it for myself now. We listened to some friends and read reviews so decided to give it a go but it definitely wasn't for us. I found it boring at times, which is not what I want from a holiday. Bigger ships have so much more to see. The entertainment is much better and you're never stuck for something to do.

Edited by Sea View

Looking at the ships you mention Sea View 3 of them belong to cruise lines that excel at entertainment and extra dining facilities. If you had chosen a smaller ship belonging to Royal Caribbean I think your views would have been somewhat different. Even Royal's smallest ships have 6 restaurants, 4 bars and several entertainment areas plus the high central atrium where shows of arial acrobatics take place.  Just my opinion as always.

I think it depends what you want really. I'd love to give Regent's smaller ships a go as I think the luxury side of things is probably done better aboard small ships, I expect there's more intimacy and attention to detail, On the other hand, I'm quite intrigued to see what will be on P&O's new ship in 2020, which is obviously going to be a biggie. I sailed on Britannia last year and didn't find the ship felt overly crowded at all. Despite there being more choice when it came to dining, we still found ourselves eating in the same couple of spots for the most part. I think little or large, we're creatures of habit and you tend to stick with what you enjoy, even if the choices are vast! How many of us have that one restaurant we always return to at home, despite the fact there are tens of others to choose from? 

I personally prefer the Oriana sized ships as there's enough for us to do & you do get to know more people. We did try Britannia in March & loved it although it did seem a bit more impersonal. Many years ago we went on Arion  which was really small - 1 restaurant plus tables brought out into the bar at lunchtime for a buffet lunch.  We're trying Adonia for our next cruise so will have tried all sizes. There's a ship size for everyone it's just a matter of finding the right one for you.

So let's run out some old chestnuts! Bigger ships are wonderful as tendering takes longer both on and off , there is more chance of missing ports due to weather and disembarkation takes longer as well.

The above results in the need for more facilities as you are part of a captive market where the company profits can be easily increased.

3 minutes ago, Captain Kidd II said:

So let's run out some old chestnuts! Bigger ships are wonderful as tendering takes longer both on and off , there is more chance of missing ports due to weather and disembarkation takes longer as well.

The above results in the need for more facilities as you are part of a captive market where the company profits can be easily increased.

Never had any issue with tendering Captain Kidd, it's always been smooth enough for us when on bigger ships. I think missing ports due to weather restrictions is pretty much the same across the board whether you're on a bigger or smaller ship, and as for embarkation and disembarkation, we've never had any problems with this either. In fact, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity were both excellent with this and much quicker than we had on Oriana despite being much bigger in size.

44 minutes ago, 2torts said:

I personally prefer the Oriana sized ships as there's enough for us to do & you do get to know more people. We did try Britannia in March & loved it although it did seem a bit more impersonal. Many years ago we went on Arion  which was really small - 1 restaurant plus tables brought out into the bar at lunchtime for a buffet lunch.  We're trying Adonia for our next cruise so will have tried all sizes. There's a ship size for everyone it's just a matter of finding the right one for you.

I respect your opinion 2torts, I just don't think I could do Adonia. I found Oriana too small so going any smaller for me would be something I'd dread rather than get excited about.

I do agree with Sea View there that when I've cruised on larger ships such as Royal Princess and Celebrity Eclipse, the embarkation and disembarkation process was just as swift if not quicker than when I have cruised on a ship the size of P&O's Oceana in the past. 

There will be a difference in tendering though. Surely from larger ships not being able to fit into smaller ports around the world, hence tendering is required. It might b a decent process but it's still not as quick as walking straight ashore, which to go off on a tangent, is one of the reasons I believe river cruising has become so popular in recent years. 

There are pros and cons to both.

It is all about choice, but I still prefer the smaller ships, I like the intimacy, the smallest ship I have been on only had 32 guests and I would not hesitate in doing it again. Arcadia is just about as big as I want to go. But each to our own, we all want different things from our holidays. 

Hi  There is no right or wrong answer to the type of cruising you enjoy.  If you prefer large ships that's your personal choice and if you like small ships that's also right.  I have sailed on ships ranging in size from 280 to 5000 passengers and the type of cruise experience is different.  The small ships were indulgent luxury (with a price to match but low on board spend) whereas the larger ship offered a decent cruise a reasonable product (with a large on board spend).  It really depends upon what you expect from a voyage which type of cruise experience you expect.

I have to agree with the OP but, as my wife uses a wheelchair and we want an accessible cabin and ease of wheelchair access around the ship, we find we need the newer facilities that the bigger ships provide make for a more enjoyable cruise.

Mind you I still think I would prefer the bigger ships even if we were both able bodied.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - we don't need entertaining every minute of every day and if the food is good we don't need to have loads of restaurants or need loads of bars.   Even the smallest ships have several places where you can get a drink - just how much of a pub crawl does anyone need to do when on board a ship?

We've tried all sizes of ship and much prefer the smaller, where getting around isn't an ordeal, you can get a sunbed when you want one and you can while away the hours doing absolutely nothing apart from relax and enjoy ports that are not stuffed full of 3000 or so cruise passengers.

Small is the future for us.

i think it depends on personal preference, i travelled on harmony of the seas last year i did enjoy it but did feel some of it was really too big but i felt like we was walking around the same area again and again because it was that huge, but then went on Azura in november and loved it so much, thought the ship was perfect size. I do like the larger ships for the choice of different bars and resturants.

I wouldn't really regard 'Oriana' as small - more mid-size and, of course, despite recent refurb she is quite an elderly lady with the restraints that imposes.

At the end of the day, it is all about what appeals to the individual cruiser. If it's about bling and rock climbing/ice rinks/robot bartenders and a buzzy vibe then the big ships are fine. On the other hand for some of us it is more about a relaxed atmosphere with great service and food and less (or no) children. You pays your money ........, but at least the choices are out there.

If food is your main thing Sea View, try Oceania's "Marina' or 'Riviera' with a great MDR and 4 no fee speciality restaurants serving fantastic dishes in a 'country club casual' atmosphere. No childrens' activities as such although they are welcome. 

What we like about smaller ships is the fact that you can strike up a conversation, or just a good morning, regularly with passengers that you recognise.

Agreed there is less choice of restaurant venues but there is ALWAYS some choice.

The main failing on the smaller ships I think is that the choice of entertainment is not so good.

Each to their own on the argument of large versus small however.

Personally we prefer smaller ships, the smaller the ship the more ports are accessible to it so the more interesting it becomes. Large ships overwhelm smaller destinations... like the Orkneys or Faroe Islands too many people trying to look at the sites cause unpleasant degrees of congestion.So the cruise destinations are more limited. It appears Venice is going to limit access by cruise ships, and you wonder how much the size of ship affects that decision. I'd rather be on a traditional ship than be at sea on a floating holiday resort. For me it's part of the charm.