sammy sun

Has anyone submitted a name for the new P&O ship?

Interested to see what names are being touted for the new P&O addition. It's not something I'm usually bothered about really but I found myself quite intrigued by their risky approach of asking the public to suggest names. I presumed another Boaty McBoatface was on the horizon but I would suggest that by keeping their cards close to their chest, they're playing it a bit smarter.

2 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

A 180,000 gross tonne ship designed to carry between 5 and 6,000 passengers possibly aimed at the younger generation. Ask the public for a name, what could possibly go wrong.

That is exactly what I thought OWT when I first saw this on social media. It's been done before and went terribly. I actually think they already have a name picked out to be honest and that this is all just a PR storm designed to get people talking about P&O. That's not me criticising them by the way. If that is the case then good for them because it's working and it's a brilliant way to get P&O's brand name going viral with minimal effort from them.

13 minutes ago, sammy sun said:

That is exactly what I thought OWT when I first saw this on social media. It's been done before and went terribly. I actually think they already have a name picked out to be honest and that this is all just a PR storm designed to get people talking about P&O. That's not me criticising them by the way. If that is the case then good for them because it's working and it's a brilliant way to get P&O's brand name going viral with minimal effort from them.

It would appear from the amount they are spending on advertising, cheap deals etc. they need all the help they can get.

I would tend to agree but I do think that if I am right and it is a PR stunt, then it is extremely clever and well thought out. They'll be getting more visitors to their site than the norm, some of which may well decide to have a browse around whilst they're on there and they've captured a wide audience to get involved in their new ship. It beats a simple news story about a keel laying ceremony or just announcing the launch date. Instead of flat news like that, they've gone down a different road and I think it's a shrewd move.

I cannot think of anything.

The mind is just blank, PR stunt or not :D.

I am of the younger generation and i hope they are going to take a few tips from Royal Caribbean to fill the ship with new and exciting things.

I don't think a larger version of Britannia would work. 

I get a little disappointed with the P&O entertainment, they need to move with the times and i'm hoping this ship will be how.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I think the only ones who will be bothered to even look will be regular P&O customers. Those loyal to other lines I don't think will have any interest and certainly wont be swayed to go with P&O if they research cruise forums and Facebook pages.

I agree with you on experienced cruisers as I don't think it will persuade people to switch allegiances from other cruise lines but what it does do is put P&O's brand name out there, especially in the world of social media, which has proven yet again recently in the general election, has a major impact in reaching people, particularly the younger generation. 

Without a doubt, P&O have been targeting 'new to cruise' passengers a lot lately and this clever PR campaign enables them to get their name talked about amongst people who have never really thought about cruising before as it goes viral, and also targets the P&O loyalists into having their say on the name of the new ship. It's a campaign that ticks both boxes of attracting the new whilst maintaining the old. 

Having seen some of the names of recent ships it does make you wonder if P&O will stick more to their traditional names or go for something a bit left field, I've dropped a couple into the mix but watch with keen interest to see if other forum members offer the same choices

6 hours ago, dancefloordemon said:

I don't think P&O will follow suit with RCI as that's what makes them different.

RCI are generally a lot more expensive, because they have more adventurous facilities- if P&O added these and heightened their price, could you imagine- All hell would break loose! :huh:

If the new ship is just a bigger version of Britannia who is going to be attracted by it? Certainly not the younger generation who are the future of P&O and certainly not the older generation who in the main make up P&O's loyal following. The reason Royal are more expensive than P&O is simply that Royal don't appear to have difficulty in selling their cruises. Compare how many adverts there are for P&O with special offers etc.compared with other cruise lines. My personal opinion is they will have to offer something on similar lines to Royal, MSC, NCL, Carnival, Disney etc to attract the younger generation especially with families who are the future.

5 hours ago, sammy sun said:

Without a doubt, P&O have been targeting 'new to cruise' passengers a lot lately and this clever PR campaign enables them to get their name talked about amongst people who have never really thought about cruising before as it goes viral, and also targets the P&O loyalists into having their say on the name of the new ship. It's a campaign that ticks both boxes of attracting the new whilst maintaining the old. 

Sorry Sammy Sun, but personally I don't think it is clever. It may be a discussion point amongst a few of us on this forum and some other forums but in the wide world of the cruise industry I think it is more of a damp squib.  As I said earlier the campaign wont even get to those who have never cruised, only those that are ardent P&O loyalists. Its been going on for some time now and hasn't gone viral yet and personally I don't think it ever will. Tally has received an email but is not interested and I believe this will apply to the vast majority. As always just my personal opinion.

There might be more interest if the prize was a cruise on the ship not just a ship's visit with lunch. This could imply to the more cynical among us that no one is going to win but a runner up could get a day out.

P&O. have got lots of free publicity with this Naming comp. Bet they have the name already sorted ??

Not much point in taking w public popular name what would we end up with.

Just hope they improve the design from Britannia nice enough ship but some really bad designed bit's ...Davybe

14 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Sorry Sammy Sun, but personally I don't think it is clever. It may be a discussion point amongst a few of us on this forum and some other forums but in the wide world of the cruise industry I think it is more of a damp squib.  As I said earlier the campaign wont even get to those who have never cruised, only those that are ardent P&O loyalists. Its been going on for some time now and hasn't gone viral yet and personally I don't think it ever will. Tally has received an email but is not interested and I believe this will apply to the vast majority. As always just my personal opinion.

I respect your opinion on it OWT and we'll agree to disagree on this one. The reach it has had already through Twitter alone is impressive. It's not in the realm of some ad campaigns that reach thousands of retweets etc but it has done well, to the point where I'd estimate each tweet they put out about it has reached an overall audience of over 100,000. That's not a bad number per tweet and edge my best that my estimate is probably even a little low on that number. It's putting their name out there, on a regular basis, with minimal expenditure. It's reaching a predominantly younger generation, and it's creating a big buzz around the ship, several years before it's even took to the water. 

On 26/07/2017 at 9:27 PM, Tally said:

I've had an email asking me if I want to submit a suggestion for the name but as I'm not interested in ever going on a humongous ship I really don't care what it's called.

Could not have put it better, totally withyou on this

i feel like more people would be involved if the prize was any good, all you really get is 'the honour of chosing the name' lol, correct me if im wrong but its not a great incentivce, may get more if theres a chance to win a cruise on it lol