cruise chef

Does the weather influence whether you need a balcony cabin when booking a cruise?

Do you always book a balcony or does the weather play a part in the decision for you? Some people feel that they have to have a balcony because it gives them their own personal space to enjoy and means they can get some fresh air in the privacy of their cabin whenever they want. Others like a balcony to sunbathe in privacy rather than using the open decks. That’s what prompts my question; is a balcony only worth it if you’re cruising warm weather destinations?

I forgot to say, in previous years I was aware some people had a balcony as being smokers it was a great way to enjoy the morning cigarette, I know this has been disallowed these days due to safety concerns so would that also now prevent you having a balcony as an option

I would always prefer a balcony if it was within my budget for a number of reasons - a bit of sunbathing,drying off after a shower,having a few drinks in an evening watching the world go by.

If it was more colder climates then again would still prefer a balcony for photo opportunites/getting a bit of fresh air.

I would always like a balcony but depending on where i am going depends if i spend the extra.

If going  on a small/ mini cruise to Amsterdam, zebrugge etc would go for oceanview, hot destinations - balcony, but also for the fjords / iceland even though weather may not be great i love the scenery so would always go for a balcony.

I would prefer a balcony no matter what destination for the fresh air, day light and as others have said somewhere private to sit and watch the world go by. Saying that i wouldn't pay a massive amount more for a balcony would have to feel it is worth the money.

I love the balcony cabins and would always have one. The only time i would not have a balcony would be a short cruise. We loved our balcony last year on the Oceana and the fact we could watch the sail aways from our own space.

18 minutes ago, cruise addict said:

We do like to have a balcony, regardless of where we are cruising.  It is nic to have fresh air in the cabin. In the summer we sit there with a drink in hand reading. Also get some lovely photos. We 

That's what I like about it too cruise addict, it's the ability to get some fresh air whenever I want without having to leave my cabin. 

For me it has nothing to do with the weather but rather how many sea days there are. If crossing one of the oceans with 5 - 10 days at sea a balcony is a must, or at least, it is for me. A place to get away from the sun bed problem and the pool, somewhere to relax, read a book or just watch the ocean drift by. If I am 'Port Hopping' then I am content with an inside as the cabin will only be used for sleeping, washing and dressing.

Nothing to do with weather or destination simple choice of 1 cruise with a balcony or 2 in an inside and I am afraid the inside cabin wins everytime.  We are never in the cabin during the day and go back to our cabin late afternoon for a shower and change ready for dinner and then return about midnight to sleep and we get plenty of fresh air around the ship and have never suffered cruise cough.

12 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Nothing to do with weather or destination simple choice of 1 cruise with a balcony or 2 in an inside and I am afraid the inside cabin wins everytime.  We are never in the cabin during the day and go back to our cabin late afternoon for a shower and change ready for dinner and then return about midnight to sleep and we get plenty of fresh air around the ship and have never suffered cruise cough.

Hi I agree with views expressed by sinbad10.  I have booked inside, outside and balconies on cruises in the past and ideally a balcony is the best option but this depends on the cost.  I have a limited budget and if I have the option of booking an inside cabin on a cruise line such as Azamara or a balcony cabin on P&O, RCI etc at a similar cost I would always book a cruise line with Azamara since I consider that I would have a  better cruise experience.  

Edited by Land Ahoy

Yes the weather does influence our choices, Why pay for a balcony you may never use on a cruise,We did a fall cruise to Canada a few years ago and booked an outside cabin nice big window , we had every weather known to man including freezing fog ,hail rain snow and sunshine, we would never have used the balcony, but if your booking a sunshine cruise A balcony is a must for us...Davybe

We always book a balcony as there's four of us (2 adults & 2 children).  We find it jsut gives us that little bit more space when we're trying to got ready to go out.  Even when we've done a less sunny climate we like the balcony open.  I love the sound of the sea or the falling rain, quite relaxing

On 27 July 2017 at 2:18 PM, dancefloordemon said:

if you want to avoid a chest infection on fred.olsen- 100% get a balcony.

Been on Fred 6 times -never had a balcony....never had a chest infection, despite being asthmatic!

Cruised with Fred 6 times. Never had a balcony - never had a chest infection.  Paid for balcony several times on Cunard and P&O and found several days door was locked due to high winds on our side of ship so couldn't use what we paid for.  

We would always go for a balcony regardless of itinerary for reasons that others have posted - the ability to get some fresh, rather than canned, air coupled with the opportunity to get better views of the scenery regardless of weather. Don't forget that you have a wall of glass rather than a limited size window if going on deck is weather limited!

Always prefer a balcony for our cruises but having said that we did a 4 night New Years cruise from Southampton and we tried an inside and it was ok. It was cold and dark early so we didnt miss the balcony on that cruise so i think yes it did for us on that occassion.