cruise chef

Does the weather influence whether you need a balcony cabin when booking a cruise?

Rubbish 18 cruses with Fred out of over 80 cruises overall. twice had a balcony. Prefer to mix with other passengers, I am not a stick in the mud.  You will get more chest infections on P & O    

On 28/07/2017 at 7:56 AM, Land Ahoy said:

Hi I agree with views expressed by sinbad10.  I have booked inside, outside and balconies on cruises in the past and ideally a balcony is the best option but this depends on the cost.  I have a limited budget and if I have the option of booking an inside cabin on a cruise line such as Azamara or a balcony cabin on P&O, RCI etc at a similar cost I would always book a cruise line with Azamara since I consider that I would have a  better cruise experience.  

We have had a balcony about 4/5 times since 1984 even after our Ruby and Golden Wedding cruises we agreed that It had been a waste of money as we slept, washed. showered and changed in it. That was all, because we are people persons.  We like to be involved in a lot of the activities as well as out on deck. We are not sun worshipers but find there is never enough time to do everything offered on board.

We always have a suite so always have a balcony. I much prefer to sit on a balcony than on the sunbeds but not because I'm a stick in the mud. I've caught chest infections on 3 P&O cruises but I've put it down to the time of year we've travelled.  2 of the cruises were world cruises so we left in January and last year we left in February and as soon as I hear someone cough I know I'm going to get it.:(  

Whilst the (likely) weather or climate is always a consideration, the proportional balcony cost, against the ship size, also comes into consideration too.

On Port hopping cruises there seems little to be gained for the expenditure, unless you are morning larks and/or possibly on late dinner sitting too?.

Of 35 current cruises, we've splashed out 13 times for a balcony, and once for a Lanai cabin, the rest bar one, all O/view, otherwise. Our main consideration always remains dependant on the number of sea days. With all of our longer Ocean crossing voyages, and when affordable,  we have booked balconies, and yes, once been lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite on Aurora last year!

We think of ourselves as being sociable people, but yes it is nice to have that little bit of 'me  or us' space now and again. That said, I have on occasions felt rather embarrassed or quietly convulsed with the giggles, when restive or overly talkative people on either side of us, have perhaps forgotten, that behind those slim partitions, are quite likely, other passengers quietly relaxing too! 

PS. Also good for discretely drying 'smalls' washing, on a calm sea day too, but take your own plastic hangers and pegs with you!!

Peter. 

We choose balcony or inside depending on itinerary and cost.  We rarely sit on a balcony, but enjoy it for arrivals and departures.  For scenic areas, upper decks with an all round view are our choice.  If we will be off the ship most days, inside is fine.  Ocean view has no appeal at all, and suites are not really within our budget unless we only want to cruise once a year.

Sheila

We once booked a balcony cabin and not being one for spending my whole cruise sitting on there as much prefer to being around the ship and when I worked out amount of time we actually spent on the balcony and the extra cost I had to have a lie down lol.