Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anchors-aweigh

Not so much a rant .....

10 posts in this topic

more an observation. Personal reasons have caused us to cancel a cruise [July 2018] with Fred Olsen. Suffice to say we could not reclaim our £600-plus deposit via insurance-so I thought of scouring FO cruise terms and conditions regarding loss of total deposit, even though a year away still. 

Tucked well down I found a clause basically stating that although the deposit would be lost -under circumstances of being able to re-book the cabin at original price then a refund may be made [less administration charges] - I am now unable to find such clause. Even the helpful lass at Bolsover was able to find it when I enquired several weeks back- I wonder if it is still there -tucked away somewhere?

I do not think it unreasonable that ,where a cabin can be resold with a year still to go, at least part of the deposit should be returned. Apart from any comments of cruise club members it would be nice t o hear from a member of the Bolsover Cruise team regarding this matter....

B&M likes this

I don't know anything about this, apart from if you paid by credit card, can you through them get a refund? It does not seem right you can't get your deposit back from the cruise company when you would not be sailing for a long time, as you said they can and will resell that cabin, or even hold over the deposit for another cruise you may be able to take.

B&M likes this

Unfortunately most if not all deposits are non refundable from the minute you book the cruise and doesnt matter how far in advance you book. There are some cruise lines who depending on what sort of fare you have booked i.e. P&O Select allow you to cancel as long as you rebook another cruise costing the same or more . Your only chance is if you cancel a cruise under circumstances where you can claim off your travel insurance. There would be no chance of recompense from your credit card for cancellation.

Thanks for both comments with which I pretty much agree - I still feel it is something that ought to be put right where a cruise company may be able to sell on the cabin and keep all of the deposit from the one who first booked. As I mentioned- over £600 is no small sum of money....

B&M likes this

Its not just cruises its package holidays as well.  I transferred my deposit to an alternative with an admin charge to save my deposit,

Once you make a booking ive always been told the deposit becomes none refundable, i know you can transfer it to another cruise but you do pay a admin charge.

We had due to ill health have to cancel a P&O cruise they offered us the opportunity to put that deposit onto another cruise off equal value , they did not mention any charges?(Booked with P&O)

And we have just moved a deposit on a Celebrity cruise without ant charges but we booked it on  the ship ,which gave us this benefit...Davybe

We had the opportunity to move a deposit, like you Davybe, to a similar cruise subject to an admin charge of £100, with P&O. Due to the type of cruise, and much discussion, they agreed to switching to 2 cruises to make the value the same provided they were taken within a limited time.

In the end I claimed against our travel insurance.

Sometimes I have found the admin charge to be equal to the deposit. What a joke!! What exactly are the companies doing for these so called admin charges? A couple of clicks on a keyboard? Does that really cost £75 or upwards to do?

B&M likes this