The Seven Seas

If You Could Change One Cruise Ship Rule/Policy, What Would It Be?

11 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Sorry but think it would be wrong to ban smoking completely on a cruise ship. We live in a free world and just because it is not liked by some there are those that do enjoy smoking. The same could be said with alcohol to be honest it wouldnt bother me if they banned alcohol onboard but that would be unfair and selfish. As long as they have a dedicated area that doesnt directly affect others I dont see a problem smoking on a cruise ship.

Trouble is the smoke does not stay in the dedicated areas. Smokers and those that live with smokers cannot detect the smoke that drifts, and that the smell clings to clothes.

Get rid of the single supplement which is almost double the price.  i admit I was spoiled

when my husband was alive and cruising together.  Nicer cabins, etc. But now being 

penalised for being a widow.  Not willing to pay over the price for a dinky inside cabin. The only reason I can fathom is the cruise companies are

greedy and only thinking of the profit line.  They don't realize the large customer base they are ignoring.👿

Edited by Shadow
Correction of spelling

tipping should not be included or mandatory. I want to tip the staff/ crew that have given me service. 

not to be told it has been paid to all the staff before without my agreement.

i have not been on the MSC before and are travelling shortly on the Preziosa.

i normally sign in the customs service that i will pay my own.

can i do that on MSC ? 

Just now, Philomena said:

The dress code should be enforced. I have seen people going in for dinner wearing shorts, this is on a P&O ship. It would also be nice to take a bottle of wine on board. It would also be good if the single supplement was less.

You can take as much alcohol as you want (within reason) on P & O.

I would not like the ban of smoking lifted.   With sea winds the smoke gets everwhere.   I like to sit on my balcony and enjoy the sun but not with someone'e smoke coming over from next door. I am not that keen on walking the Prom deck with one side full of smoke, but there must be some places for smokers to go.

Definitely keep Muster Drills. Everyone should have some idea of what to do, so there isn't total chaos if there should be an emergency.   Common Sense should prevail...look at Concordia, mad panic.

We always pay gratuities but agree that it would be better incorporated into price. My big gripe is %added to drinks bill - 18% on the Princess cruise we are booked to go on. The dearer the drink, the more gratuity. It's as easy to serve a £18 bottle as a £28 one but the gratuity goes up in proportion to the price. ALSO - my biggest gripe - when I am reminded to take a bottle of water as I am going off the ship I pick it up and pay. Only to find 18% added for self-service. 

Just now, Dozydo said:

We always pay gratuities but agree that it would be better incorporated into price. My big gripe is %added to drinks bill - 18% on the Princess cruise we are booked to go on. The dearer the drink, the more gratuity. It's as easy to serve a £18 bottle as a £28 one but the gratuity goes up in proportion to the price. ALSO - my biggest gripe - when I am reminded to take a bottle of water as I am going off the ship I pick it up and pay. Only to find 18% added for self-service. 

P & O don't add gratuities to drinks.

23 minutes ago, Dozydo said:

No it isnt Princess add 15% tax on top of drinks purchases, it is Celebrity that add 18%.

The Cruise line should quote a price that includes gratuities and remove the 'suggested' level of gratuities from their literature.  I would like an assurance that the crews are given the whole amount and that this is fair to all.  

Keep muster drills and include wearing the jackets.  Actually doing something, as opposed to watching a demonstration, is by far the best way to learn.  (Better safe than sorry - if two US warships can get holed in a matter of months, we shouldn't be complacent!) 

We, too, would like to be able to take breakfast in a dining room that is open later.  A 'latest time' to arrive, say 10 a.m?

Personally I thin that life boat drills should remain. Safety first.

i don't think that it would be fair on the smokers to ban it altogether but perhaps they could have some balcony cabins available for smokers perhaps to the rear of the ship.

i agree that single supplement should be reduced but also think that single cabins shouldn't be loaded either. It's not right that in some cases you can get a double cabin cheaper than a single and that it on a full price rating.

tipping should be disbanded altogether and the cruise lines should pay a decent wage. 

The one thing I'd like to see (on P&O, haven't tried other cruise lines yet) is the availability of more restaurants accepting smart casual dress code on formal nights.  I fully appreciate that many people like the formality, but for those of us who prefer to remain casual (but smart), it would be useful to have the option of at least one restaurant, other than the buffet, on formal nights.  In a similar vein, it would be beneficial for all (including the cruise line) if formal nights were detailed on the itinerary, so one could book a speciality restaurant in advance if one wished to remain casual. Similarly, those who prefer formal dining could book their specialty nights to align with formal nights if they so desired.

All gratuities should be in the fare and NOT an add on then you can tip the ones that give good service. As for life jackets on our last cruise with Cunard we all had to had our on board card scanned to prove that we had attended and could not leave until checked .

I would like to see a clock system for the sunbeds.  A bit like a cardboard parking clock which you would get issued in your cabin. One per person.  You set the time you leave the bed to get a drink etc. , leaving the clock easily visible.  Then people can see if the bed is taken and if the time the sunbed is left unoccupied is unreasonable. For instance over half an hour. If someone cheats someone would soon notice.  I don't agree with towels reserving sunbeds for long periods of time but if if one has to visit the facilities you wouldn't want to come back to find your towel dumped and you'd only left for a few minutes. Also sometimes people just don't bother to put their towels in the bin.  Think this system would avoid upsetting people so much too.

15 hours ago, smtcan said:

No, that wasn't what they meant at all.  Passengers would assemble at their indoor muster stations and be led to the lifeboats, filling them one by one.

And Celebrity and other lines believe people would assemble indoors and wait a crew member to turn up with paddle saying follow me, really?

It'd be pandemonium, people on the upper decks would not go to the lower levels to meet and greet, they'd go straight to their designated muster stations, probably without a life jacket.

All sound good in theory, but put in to practice it doesn't work, unfortunately we saw that with Costa Concordia.

HLM.

6 minutes ago, HLM said:

And Celebrity and other lines believe people would assemble indoors and wait a crew member to turn up with paddle saying follow me, really?

It'd be pandemonium, people on the upper decks would not go to the lower levels to meet and greet, they'd go straight to their designated muster stations, probably without a life jacket.

All sound good in theory, but put in to practice it doesn't work, unfortunately we saw that with Costa Concordia.

HLM.

The muster stations are all on the same level, the one that is accessible to the lifeboats.  The instruction is not to return to cabins for life jackets, there are enough available at that level.  I have no idea what the situation was on Costa Concordia except that the ship listed seriously so some lifeboats could not be launched.

We are obviously not going to agree on this.

47 minutes ago, smtcan said:

The muster stations are all on the same level, the one that is accessible to the lifeboats.  The instruction is not to return to cabins for life jackets, there are enough available at that level.  I have no idea what the situation was on Costa Concordia except that the ship listed seriously so some lifeboats could not be launched.

We are obviously not going to agree on this.

I wouldn't say I disagree, but like the Concordia when it came to crunch, it turned out to be a free for all.

Panic set in and people were piling on to any life boat they could find, some only half fill when they were lowered.

In reality there's no sure fire way, I suppose we have to take whatever way they decide to do it seriously, unlike some I've seen in the past.

HLM.

I would like to see an end to gratuities. Include them in the price then everyone pays the correct? amount.

Also as experienced recently on Holland America stop the 15% service charge which, on top of gratuities is, in my opinion, a double gratuity.  Perhaps if the cruise lines paid staff what they were worth then gratuiities and service charges would be eradicated and all would be reflected in the price of the cruise

47 minutes ago, grahame said:

I would like to see an end to gratuities. Include them in the price then everyone pays the correct? amount.

What happens when service is below your expectations? You've paid for poor service without any recompense.

What I'd like is for them to disappear altogether, no mention of them in your fare, pay your price and tip at your leisure should one feel it necessary.

HLM.

On 19/08/2017 at 10:17 AM, Oldworldtraveller said:

With many of the cruise lines now Tally you don't have to take your life jacket to muster.

What about Cunard?

On 8/20/2017 at 6:43 PM, Eliza said:

I'd like to see the back of cover charge restaurants. They take up far too much room on ships that could be made available for ALL passengers to use for other things. I would like inclusive gratuities and the return of smoking on balconies. That way smoking areas would not be so crowded and offend so many. Personally I have never been bothered by a smoker on an adjacent balcony (I don't smoke), but the areas where smoking is permitted smells like a stale ashtray. Now donning tin hat and hiding. BTW I have no idea what is happening with the comment box - the text starts at the right hand side and moves to the left!

Smoking on balconies was actually banned after a small fire in a cabin on a Princess ship.  The investigation concluded that a cigarette had been drawn back into the cabin from the balcony, which had started the fire.  On that basis, no way should smoking be allowed on balconies because unfortunately you cannot guarantee every smoker will be careful enough to ensure the 'dog-end' is 100% out and safe.

I must say that there are a lot of suggestions above that I would agree with but if it has to come down to one only (as per the OP's question), I would go with the inclusion of the gratuities.

On 8/21/2017 at 2:06 PM, Steve54 said:

The one thing I'd like to see (on P&O, haven't tried other cruise lines yet) is the availability of more restaurants accepting smart casual dress code on formal nights.  I fully appreciate that many people like the formality, but for those of us who prefer to remain casual (but smart), it would be useful to have the option of at least one restaurant, other than the buffet, on formal nights.  In a similar vein, it would be beneficial for all (including the cruise line) if formal nights were detailed on the itinerary, so one could book a speciality restaurant in advance if one wished to remain casual. Similarly, those who prefer formal dining could book their specialty nights to align with formal nights if they so desired.

Purely a friendly suggestion - but why not try NCL or Thomson, where there is no requirement for anyone to wear formal dress?