The Seven Seas

If You Could Change One Cruise Ship Rule/Policy, What Would It Be?

If you could change one cruise ship rule/policy, what would it be? I've seen a few reviews recently complaining about smoking areas on board, some people want to remove these areas altogether and others were saying how unfair the smoking area rule is... So, would this be something you would get rid of or would you remove the smoking ban? Or would you stop something like the mandatory muster drill attendance? Perhaps scrap dining sitting times? Or would you like to see your own alcohol allowed on board?

What would you change?

Personally, I’d like to see the back of speciality restaurant fees. When you've paid enough as it is to get on board, why do they try and make us pay more? I know some lines offer all-inclusive fares but I’d like to see the end of restaurant add-ons.

Great choices, I dont know if you are aware Davybe but Celebrity on my recent voyage was no jacket required - you still had to muster but then watch a brief tongue in cheek video, so no falling over somone's jacket straps!!

I too would like to see inclusive grats NCL have started this trend but it would be great to see others follow

Mine would be no sunbed saving - if your not on it you dont keep it with a maximum leave time whilst you go for a drink etc, as I hate those who put the towel down before breakfast and 2 hrs later return or more recently those that got off ship and it saved it for later.

I'd agree with you Cruise Chef, that's one of the first things I would change. I'd enforce the policy at all times to make sure it's no longer abused.

I wouldn't change the muster drills. I know they are highly tedious and a real pain when you just want to start your holiday but they are important, especially for people that have never cruised before so I never grumble about attending. 

I would change the setup on the first day on board. Quite often you board to find that your cabin isn't ready due to the turnaround from the passengers of the previous cruise. You're quite often directed to the top of the ship on the open decks for a drink or some lunch and told you'll be notified when cabins are ready. I understand that the crew need time to turn cabins around but I would make more of the ship available to guests. It's frustrating to find only one dining option available, usually the buffet, which of course, is overcrowded due to the majority of passengers being directed that way. So that's one thing I would certainly change.

I would also make this change for breakfast and lunch each day. This mainly applies to P&O. They quite often only open one of the main restaurants for lunch or breakfast. I usually prefer the buffer option for breakfast but it's nice to go to the dining room sometimes. Only when you go, you sometimes find a queue and a slower service. They run both restaurants at night yet only one for breakfast/lunch. Someone else made this point recently too on here.

I too would like to see gratuities included in the base price, and make sure that everybody knows it, and ban staff from accepting any extra. Though what we would talk about at dinner I don't know.

Later timings for breakfast. Closing dining rooms at 9.15 is ridiculous when on holuday, I am rarely up at that time at home!!!

Lastly, before I find a bunker to hide in, ban smoking, everywhere, on shore as well as on board.

On 17/08/2017 at 8:44 AM, Davybe said:

Another for tipping ?

I would ban moaning on cruise ship's and they could do muster without those  ruddy lifejackets ...Davybe 

I was pleasantly surprised when we went for the first time on a Celebrity ship. You don't take your lifejacket to the muster, just watch a demonstration.

No life jacket needed on Fred either.  I'm in with the gratuities included.  

I'd like to completely ban taking your own alcohol on board, purely from our last cruise on P&O - it doesn't happen on Fred.   On Arcadia the corridors were littered with empty bottles of all types - probably taken on board at each port.  The bars were quiet - and frankly it wasn't as though the drinks were that expensive.   One of the things that put us off sailing with P&O again - although I am sure that there are many more who would say they wouldn't cruise with them again if they couldn't take their own booze!   Each to their own way I guess.

I'm another who would like gratuities included in the price of the cruise. I'd also like not to have to take a life jacket with me to muster. 

I've never really understood why P&O allow people to bring their own alcohol on board. It wouldn't bother me if they were to stop that, it's something we've never done. It's not that we don't drink alcohol we just buy it on board.🍷😄

7 minutes ago, Tally said:

I'm another who would like gratuities included in the price of the cruise. I'd also like not to have to take a life jacket with me to muster. 

I've never really understood why P&O allow people to bring their own alcohol on board. It wouldn't bother me if they were to stop that, it's something we've never done. It's not that we don't drink alcohol we just buy it on board.🍷😄

With many of the cruise lines now Tally you don't have to take your life jacket to muster.

Although I rarely drink alcohol I did buy a bottle of flavoured vodka in Gibraltar last week for a family member as it was on offer at only £1 a bottle. If I had been on a cruise & had been stopped from taking it onboard I would not have been very happy however surely there must be a way to organise things so that you could hand in any alcohol iwhen boarding & reclaim it on the last day of the cruise. Anyway if someone is desperate to drink their own booze on board surely they would just buy a bottle of something that looks the same, e.g.water & vodka, chuck the water away & put the vodka in the water bottle. I suppose the next thing then would be to stop us buying cheap water ashore & bringing that back to our cabins.

5 hours ago, 2torts said:

Although I rarely drink alcohol I did buy a bottle of flavoured vodka in Gibraltar last week for a family member as it was on offer at only £1 a bottle. If I had been on a cruise & had been stopped from taking it onboard I would not have been very happy however surely there must be a way to organise things so that you could hand in any alcohol iwhen boarding & reclaim it on the last day of the cruise. Anyway if someone is desperate to drink their own booze on board surely they would just buy a bottle of something that looks the same, e.g.water & vodka, chuck the water away & put the vodka in the water bottle. I suppose the next thing then would be to stop us buying cheap water ashore & bringing that back to our cabins.

That's what happens on other lines. The alcohol is taken off you till the end of the cruise.

On 18/08/2017 at 10:57 AM, Alan V said:

I was pleasantly surprised when we went for the first time on a Celebrity ship. You don't take your lifejacket to the muster, just watch a demonstration.

I know great ain't it.

The Jackets on Britannia have a strap that goes between your leg's ,It's a wonder no one broke their neck trying to get them on ,Designed by an idiot ,who thought they would be safer?they would be if you can get them on...Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

I know great ain't it.

The Jackets on Britannia have a strap that goes between your leg's ,It's a wonder no one broke their neck trying to get them on ,Designed by an idiot ,who thought they would be safer?they would be if you can get them on...Davybe

Are they not designed like that for a reason? My understanding is that if you do find yourself floating in the sea the crew members on the life boat can hitch you out without the life jacket going straight over your head.

Just my opinion but everyone should be made and shown how to put their life jacket on, in the event of a real emergency the crew ain't going to have time to do it for you.

HLM.

57 minutes ago, HLM said:

Are they not designed like that for a reason? My understanding is that if you do find yourself floating in the sea the crew members on the life boat can hitch you out without the life jacket going straight over your head.

Just my opinion but everyone should be made and shown how to put their life jacket on, in the event of a real emergency the crew ain't going to have time to do it for you.

HLM.

You need to be able to get it on quickly not drown in the process, of course P&O know better than other cruise lines who have an easy to use jacket which you can put on in seconds  ...Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

You need to be able to get it on quickly not drown in the process, of course P&O know better than other cruise lines who have an easy to use jacket which you can put on in seconds  ...Davybe

I very much doubt a cruise ship would go down in seconds, there'd be plenty of time to put a life jacket on, whatever type it is.

Regardless of type, I truly believe people should be made to put the jacket on during the safety drill.

The most effective drill I ever done was with Thomson, you were made to attend your muster station on deck and put your jacket on, those who didn't were promptly told to do so, that's how it should be, not watching a video in the theatre like some lines do.

HLM.

4 hours ago, HLM said:

I very much doubt a cruise ship would go down in seconds, there'd be plenty of time to put a life jacket on, whatever type it is.

Regardless of type, I truly believe people should be made to put the jacket on during the safety drill.

The most effective drill I ever done was with Thomson, you were made to attend your muster station on deck and put your jacket on, those who didn't were promptly told to do so, that's how it should be, not watching a video in the theatre like some lines do.

HLM.

I asked why we didn't have to line up by our designated lifeboat on Celebrity.  The answer was that they would fill lifeboats from the indoor muster station, not wait for certain people to arrive for each one.  Also, if the ship was listing some lifeboats could not be used.

18 minutes ago, smtcan said:

I asked why we didn't have to line up by our designated lifeboat on Celebrity.  The answer was that they would fill lifeboats from the indoor muster station, not wait for certain people to arrive for each one.  Also, if the ship was listing some lifeboats could not be used.

If that's the case I see no reason to have a drill.

Basically what Celebrity are saying is it's each to their own.

HLM.

I'd like to see the back of cover charge restaurants. They take up far too much room on ships that could be made available for ALL passengers to use for other things. I would like inclusive gratuities and the return of smoking on balconies. That way smoking areas would not be so crowded and offend so many. Personally I have never been bothered by a smoker on an adjacent balcony (I don't smoke), but the areas where smoking is permitted smells like a stale ashtray. Now donning tin hat and hiding. BTW I have no idea what is happening with the comment box - the text starts at the right hand side and moves to the left!

Sorry but think it would be wrong to ban smoking completely on a cruise ship. We live in a free world and just because it is not liked by some there are those that do enjoy smoking. The same could be said with alcohol to be honest it wouldnt bother me if they banned alcohol onboard but that would be unfair and selfish. As long as they have a dedicated area that doesnt directly affect others I dont see a problem smoking on a cruise ship.

6 hours ago, HLM said:

If that's the case I see no reason to have a drill.

Basically what Celebrity are saying is it's each to their own.

HLM.

No, that wasn't what they meant at all.  Passengers would assemble at their indoor muster stations and be led to the lifeboats, filling them one by one.